ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Basketball Program... Have we hit rock bottom yet???

world famous 3rd base hecklers

Sep 25, 2011
I didn't watch it and care not to tune in... But was wondering about the score this morning and came across this article... This is an embarrassment by our program and maybe it's time to make a change today...

Martin has been at the program forever and Martin has been living on theme of the only coach to take Carolina to the final four, just like Tanner bringing the first coach to win back to back National Championship and three Championship games back to back to back.... Nothing wrong with the baseball program under Tanner and that shouldn't take away what Tanner did here as a coach... But, that cannot be a reason to hire Tanner or keep Tanner as our AD... He has to go and take Frank with him...

Dawn Staley seems to get it... Keep working harder and don't stop and not give excuses for a poor season... Two National Championships (2020 #1).. I don't want Dawn leave, but it's so tempting to hire Dawn for the Men's Program and be the first women to coach the men's team in the NCAA... Just my dream...

I didn't watch it and care not to tune in... But was wondering about the score this morning and came across this article... This is an embarrassment by our program and maybe it's time to make a change today...

Martin has been at the program forever and Martin has been living on theme of the only coach to take Carolina to the final four, just like Tanner bringing the first coach to win back to back National Championship and three Championship games back to back to back.... Nothing wrong with the baseball program under Tanner and that shouldn't take away what Tanner did here as a coach... But, that cannot be a reason to hire Tanner or keep Tanner as our AD... He has to go and take Frank with him...

Dawn Staley seems to get it... Keep working harder and don't stop and not give excuses for a poor season... Two National Championships (2020 #1).. I don't want Dawn leave, but it's so tempting to hire Dawn for the Men's Program and be the first women to coach the men's team in the NCAA... Just my dream...

Frank Martin is a poor coach, can't recruit nor control his players.
Most of us have known this for years.

Last edited:

If we haven't hit rock bottom yet, I hope we don't ever because this is as close to rock bottom as one can get without actually hitting rock bottom.

That's an embarrassing loss.

I did watch it. The one word that kept coming to mind was 'stale'. That's the best way I can describe where we are at in one word.

• Sad
Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky

And I was just starting to think we might get through this early season without laying a 'Martin.'

As long as Dawn is there and gives her support to Frank, Ray will never cut him loose. Ray is afraid that Dawn will get pissed and leave because he knows she can find a job anywhere in the country.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Didn't realize there was an 'altercation' at the end of the game. So we get whooped by lil ol' Coastal by 24 but only show any fight when the game is over? Pathetic. I've always liked Frank and pulled for him to recapture the magic from the ONE special season, but the writing is on the wall here and this game is emblematic of the state of our program IMO.

Our volleyball team plays an NCAA tournament match today. Our 3rd appearance in our coach's first 4 seasons.

How often is our basketball coach expected to take his team to the tournament? How many seasons removed are we removed from the Final Four run? I don't see an NCAA tournament on the horizon. Time to make a change.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
As long as Dawn is there and gives her support to Frank, Ray will never cut him loose. Ray is afraid that Dawn will get pissed and leave because he knows she can find a job anywhere in the country.

Serious question: is it worth it? I mean, is having a stellar WBB program worth keeping our MBB in this sad state? I love that our WBB team is a premier program in the country because it's a great reflection on my alma mater which I love so much, but I honestly don't follow WBB closely and never will. If it ain't football, MBB or baseball then it's just a nice side note for the university for me.

I know that's just one person's opinion though and am not trying to offend our big WBB supporters. My parent's neighbors who are now older quit going to football games and go to WBB games regularly. They say they love it but I honestly just think 1) it's an easier trip for them to make and 2) they've been starved for a winner for so long they go to watch the only quality athletic team we field.

Eric Hyman hired Frank. Frank then goes to the FF under Tanner. After that you have to give a contract extension and raise.

Frank hasn't followed up on the FF and enough time has passed. It is now evident that the FF was the high mark and now a change is needed.

Serious question: is it worth it? I mean, is having a stellar WBB program worth keeping our MBB in this sad state? I love that our WBB team is a premier program in the country because it's a great reflection on my alma mater which I love so much, but I honestly don't follow WBB closely and never will. If it ain't football, MBB or baseball then it's just a nice side note for the university for me.

I know that's just one person's opinion though and am not trying to offend our big WBB supporters. My parent's neighbors who are now older quit going to football games and go to WBB games regularly. They say they love it but I honestly just think 1) it's an easier trip for them to make and 2) they've been starved for a winner for so long they go to watch the only quality athletic team we field.
Hi, Heavy. Thanks for sharing the story about your neighbors. Fun to hear.

I'm pretty sure they're not keeping Frank around just to appease Dawn. Dawn knows this is a business at the end of the day. It's more worrying about the major question: what happens when you replace him? There simply not many quality coaches that can turn a program around on a dime, and I think Ray and others fear the consequences of going through another rebuild unless they have better options. Obviously, we all keep hoping and praying Frank catches lightning in a bottle again. Oh well, time to rewatch highlights on our win over Duke in that tourney run of ours.

Reactions: heavycock

If Dawn won five National Titles it should have zero impact on Frank. Me personally, I could care less about WBB.

She knows how this works. You have to win games. I don't think she would leave if Frank is terminated at the end of the year.

Hi, Heavy. Thanks for sharing the story about your neighbors. Fun to hear.

I'm pretty sure they're not keeping Frank around just to appease Dawn. Dawn knows this is a business at the end of the day. It's more worrying about the major question: what happens when you replace him? There simply not many quality coaches that can turn a program around on a dime, and I think Ray and others fear the consequences of going through another rebuild unless they have better options. Obviously, we all keep hoping and praying Frank catches lightning in a bottle again. Oh well, time to rewatch highlights on our win over Duke in that tourney run of ours.
Coach Frank will not catch lightning in a bottle again unless he recruits some outstanding players. The recruiting game is rigged against us for reasons that have been well discussed here.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

If a 24 point vaporization at the hands of Coastal isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is.

You could explain away a close loss…playing on their floor, biggest game of the year for them, just had a bad game, etc…but there’s no explaining away 24 points and the fact that they were essentially toying with us by the end of the game.

NO, but we are on the way there and may arrive later this year. This has to e Frank's last year.
I agree with giving Dawn consideration, but not sure that will work. It's a gimmick. She will probably nix that herself.

Rock bottom as a program? Not a chance - that was under Darrin Horn and I don't think Frank could ever drop that low (or get close to that low). Is it rock bottom for Frank? Maybe. It's year 10 at a high major school - and I think the 6th or 7th rebuild. That's not how it should work.

Reactions: 92Pony
I love that our WBB team is a premier program in the country because it's a great reflection on my alma mater which I love so much, but I honestly don't follow WBB closely and never will. If it ain't football, MBB or baseball then it's just a nice side note for the university for me.

Me personally, I could care less about WBB.
My sentiments.

Reactions: Cockytalk84

You lose a bet with your new profile pic?

On previous comments....are yall so blinded to understand that WBB is killing MBB in ticket sales and everything else when we play maryland and ucoon we will have way more fans than any MBB games this year!

YES!

Were you alive during the Darrin Horn era. Worst hire in program (any sport) history.
And he did his best to sabotage program on way out.

But at least Hyman recognized his mistake and fired him after only 4 years.
After he gave him an extension and raise for losing in the first round of the NIT. He also extended Dave Odom when it was clearly sinking, and then hired Frank Martin with so many great options out there.

After he gave him an extension and raise for losing in the first round of the NIT. He also extended Dave Odom when it was clearly sinking, and then hired Frank Martin with so many great options out there.
I'm not saying he was perfect. But Horn could claim he won a share of the SEC East in his first year. And those extensions came with miniscule buyouts that gave us a lot of wiggle room.

While I've always preferred Marshall (still do), Martin was considered a homerun hire at the time. He also steadily improved us the first 5 years, capping it off with the FF run.

It's been the 5 years since that he's completely face planted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT