Jun 5, 2017
Correct me if I’m wrong…..
Jacobi Wright
Chico Carter
Tre Vaughn Minott
Ja’Von Benson
Josh Gray
Ford Cooper

I know Brandon Martin is technically still on the roster but I don’t see him coming back.

Someone better pony up and buy Paris some players. It's literally that simple. Hell you don't even have to hide it anymore. Unfortunately we don't have fans with money that really cares about basketball.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Someone better pony up and buy Paris some players. It's literally that simple. Hell you don't even have to hide it anymore. Unfortunately we don't have fans with money that really cares about basketball.
Guess the good news for Paris in this is he has plenty of scholarships to hand out. The bad news is I can’t think of a situation where a coach has started out with less to work with.

Reactions: TAV31
This does not look good.
Not being negative. Just stating the facts.
With all the players now on the transfer portal there are no excuses for not having a good team this season
True or not---there is a perception that real good players follow the $$$ We must find a way to get them to follow the $$$ to us!!

It would definitely be nice to to grab a nice portal pick up or two… Or maybe convince a guy or two to come back.

Feel like we’re getting to the point where we need a little momentum/push. Maybe good things are going on in the background but as a fan it be really nice to see something come through

Correct me if I’m wrong…..
Jacobi Wright
Chico Carter
Tre Vaughn Minott
Ja’Von Benson
Josh Gray
Ford Cooper

I know Brandon Martin is technically still on the roster but I don’t see him coming back.
With all the names hitting the portal, I wondered how many were left. Not enough for a scrimmage. Going to be a tough uphill battle, portal players or not.

Updated Roster

Jacobi Wright
Chico Carter
Tre Vaughn Minott
Ja’Von Benson
Josh Gray
Ford Cooper
Hayden Brown

As large as the student body is at USC, a walk-in tryout would probably get you a guy that could play 8 minutes. Hayden Brown can get you 15 at least. That leaves 177 minutes.

As large as the student body is at USC, a walk-in tryout would probably get you a guy that could play 8 minutes. Hayden Brown can get you 15 at least. That leaves 177 minutes.
Jacobi is a developing PG that I think can turn into a decent starter for us. That’s good for 25-30 minutes. Paris has work to do on the wings.

Dude we are going to set records for being the worst basketball team ever. Think football 98-99. We went 1-21.

Dude we are going to set records for being the worst basketball team ever. Think football 98-99. We went 1-21.
So I started Carolina fall of 97. Finished May 02. It sucked during the losing, but once Lou got us going man was that an amazing time to be a student at Carolina. Plus basketball and baseball was rolling decently. So maybe Paris struggles the first year, but maybe we go on a run of making the tournament soon.

Haden Brown committed today
This is a good beginning

So now we are looking at transfers from the Citadel as a good beginning? Jeez. There is a reason he landed at a basketball outpost like the Citadel out of high school and not anyone of basketball relevance. Although at this point I guess Paris is concerned about having enough players to have practice.

Reactions: TAV31
It feels very dark now indeed. GG getting ready to announce, probably for UNC. Meanwhile we're still trying to get enough players to field a team next season. Sure hope the saying that it is darkest before the dawn holds some truth for us.

Just received transfer commitment from Ohio State guard Meechie Johnson. He was a four ⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of high school.
Just received transfer commitment from Ohio State guard Meechie Johnson. He was a four ⭐⭐⭐⭐ out of high school.
I’ve been critical of Paris on here but this seems to be his best get. Should play and contribute right away. Need more of these.

Have any of the guys that entered the portal from last season’s roster signed anywhere yet?

I don’t really know what the odds are of Coach Paris swaying their decision back to coming to Carolina but I was really hopeful of getting at least one or two back… especially Carter

Have any of the guys that entered the portal from last season’s roster signed anywhere yet?

I don’t really know what the odds are of Coach Paris swaying their decision back to coming to Carolina but I was really hopeful of getting at least one or two back… especially Carter
Carter-Providence
Leveque-UMass
Woolley-UMass
Stevenson-West Virginia
Couisnard-has a final 7 list
Bryant-too early to know
Green?

I think that’s everyone.

Malachi Smith (So. Conference Player of the Year) went into the portal yesterday.

Just got a 6-6 PG from Coastal Carolina, Ebrima Dibba. Averaged 8 points and 5 1/2 assists last year.

Have you seen him play? How good is he?
No, I haven't seen this guy. However, I know that Coastal was in the The Basketball Classic Final on ESPN a few weeks back. I may pull that game up on YouTube and take a look at him.

No, I haven't seen this guy. However, I know that Coastal was in the The Basketball Classic Final on ESPN a few weeks back. I may pull that game up on YouTube and take a look at him.
Looks like GG has officially announced for UNC...

Guess Frank didn’t get his guy to UMASS.

I feel quite certain GG was never coming here

Guess Frank didn’t get his guy to UMASS.

I feel quite certain GG was never coming here
He wasn't. I told people a couple months ago that the word through all the high school gyms was UNC. Our only chance was the Hail Mary pass of getting him to reclass to '22 and sign here. It was always UNC with him staying in the '23 class.

GG was never coming here. That lie was told to convince we'd regret moving on from Frank.
No regrets

I think there is a big difference between saying GG didn’t go to UMass so he obviously wasn’t going to South Carolina.

While it is likely he was headed to UNC this is exactly why I wasn’t for firing Frank until after the GG decision. And we damn sure know we could have had Lamont Paris if we waited a month. Why the timing of the firing makes no sense.

I think there is a big difference between saying GG didn’t go to UMass so he obviously wasn’t going to South Carolina.

While it is likely he was headed to UNC this is exactly why I wasn’t for firing Frank until after the GG decision. And we damn sure know we could have had Lamont Paris if we waited a month. Why the timing of the firing makes no sense.
.....so you are going to wait until the last week of April to look for a coach over a 17 year old that may have not been ready to really help you this season? Paris' job to get a roster together this season is already hard enough. It would have been harder coming in a month later. Martin had five years after the Final Four to get us a blue chip player and he had already run the promise of a high ranking player with some complications by us before. He had people all giddy about Bowen and the kid never played a minute for us. No, it was time for Martin to go whether you like the choice of the new coach or not.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
.....so you are going to wait until the last week of April to look for a coach over a 17 year old that may have not been ready to really help you this season? Paris' job to get a roster together this season is already hard enough. It would have been harder coming in a month later. Martin had five years after the Final Four to get us a blue chip player and he had already run the promise of a high ranking player with some complications by us before. He had people all giddy about Bowen and the kid never played a minute for us. No, it was time for Martin to go whether you like the choice of the new coach or not.
In the grand scheme of things what would we have missed out on had we waited a few more weeks?
1. Maybe GG comes. Following Frank to Columbia was an easier sell than to UMass.
2. Paris still comes regardless.
3. Maybe we miss out on the transfer from Ohio State. Other than that do we really lose anything roster wise? Maybe Brown from Citadel…and he still likely would have came.
4. You know this wasn’t your average 17 year old. This was a guy recruited by UNC & Duke. It would have been worth the wait.
5. If I’m not mistaken we would have paid Martin less of a buyout if we would have let him go now
6. Does anyone think Paris is constructing a roster next year that will win us anything. We are still going to be in the preseason (and likely postseason) cellar whether he started in March, April or May.

Reactions: taiwancock
Enough freaking money and GG would of been at USC. I think that's fairly obvious with the current landscape of college sports. We as a group (USC fans) decided not to buy the guy. That's pretty much the jist of everything now.

In the grand scheme of things what would we have missed out on had we waited a few more weeks?
1. Maybe GG comes. Following Frank to Columbia was an easier sell than to UMass.
2. Paris still comes regardless.
3. Maybe we miss out on the transfer from Ohio State. Other than that do we really lose anything roster wise? Maybe Brown from Citadel…and he still likely would have came.
4. You know this wasn’t your average 17 year old. This was a guy recruited by UNC & Duke. It would have been worth the wait.
5. If I’m not mistaken we would have paid Martin less of a buyout if we would have let him go now
6. Does anyone think Paris is constructing a roster next year that will win us anything. We are still going to be in the preseason (and likely postseason) cellar whether he started in March, April or May.
The history of kids re-classing in High School is not that good. Marvin Bagley was good at Duke, but he was just re-classing back to his right grade. Hamidou Diallo re-classed and sat his entire first year at Kentucky. Derryck Thornton re-classed to play PG at Duke. He was transferring a year later. Emoni Bates re-classed this year and was supposed to be a Top 5 Recruit. He is transferring a year later. Jaren Duren re-classed. He was okay. Nowhere near the star that he was hyped to be and he has declared for the draft. So, the hit rate on kids that re-class is not worth holding on to a coach and getting into the coaching carousel late. GG is good for high school and he is rated high. However, you really don't know how it will translate especially with him coming in a year early. Actually, I am happy for the kid because I felt he was being put into the position of a pawn to save a coach's job. If getting one recruit is the deciding factor in keeping a coach or not, it's time for you to get a new coach.

Reactions: Neanderthal
The history of kids re-classing in High School is not that good. Marvin Bagley was good at Duke, but he was just re-classing back to his right grade. Hamidou Diallo re-classed and sat his entire first year at Kentucky. Derryck Thornton re-classed to play PG at Duke. He was transferring a year later. Emoni Bates re-classed this year and was supposed to be a Top 5 Recruit. He is transferring a year later. Jaren Duren re-classed. He was okay. Nowhere near the star that he was hyped to be and he has declared for the draft. So, the hit rate on kids that re-class is not worth holding on to a coach and getting into the coaching carousel late. GG is good for high school and he is rated high. However, you really don't know how it will translate especially with him coming in a year early. Actually, I am happy for the kid because I felt he was being put into the position of a pawn to save a coach's job. If getting one recruit is the deciding factor in keeping a coach or not, it's time for you to get a new coach.
It may mean it's time for a new coach, but getting that guy and enjoying one or two seasons in the tournament would be worth it. I was fine either way with the coach. Especially considering who we hired. But I just really wanted us to buy GG.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT