Aug 6, 2001
62-60 overall record
32-37 SEC record
1 SEC tournament win
0 NCAA tournament appearances
0 NIT appearances
Average SEC finish - 8th place
10 loses to non power conference teams

All adds up to mediocre garbage. Fire Ray Tanner now for letting both football and mens basketball reach total rock bottom.

62-60 overall record
32-37 SEC record
1 SEC tournament win
0 NCAA tournament appearances
0 NIT appearances
Average SEC finish - 8th place
10 loses to non power conference teams

All adds up to mediocre garbage. Fire Ray Tanner now for letting both football and mens basketball reach total rock bottom.
That’s far below mediocre.

Reactions: cockofdawn
To be fair, it isn’t just Tanner. A significant portion of the fan base has been in favor of giving Frank a seemingly unlimited number of do-overs on the weight of the FF. I’ve had numerous other fans tell me “no matter what, you can’t fire the only coach who got us to a FF.” And fans have made excuses every year since the FF to explain away why that team flopped.

To be fair, it isn’t just Tanner. A significant portion of the fan base has been in favor of giving Frank a seemingly unlimited number of do-overs on the weight of the FF. I’ve had numerous other fans tell me “no matter what, you can’t fire the only coach who got us to a FF.” And fans have made excuses every year since the FF to explain away why that team flopped.
And will continue to do so.

I don't think it's Tanner at all. His hands were tied at the 11th hour last year. He wanted him gone last year and that was the plan. Frank is in bed with several BOT's and it bought him another year.

They won't have a choice this year unless Frank can pull off a dive and catch.

Yes, no excuse for Tanner not getting rid of Frank. However, don't bring the football program into this. It's a lost caused. Doomed in the "playoff era." Ray wanted to hire Kirby Smart, but he was forced to settle since no 'hot candidate' would want this crappy job. The jury is still out on Beamer, but he has had a successful 1st year.

Reactions: cockofdawn
I've been a Frank defender, but yeah, it's time to move on. It's pretty much become an annual tradition for us to lose at least one embarrassing OOC game a year, often to a small in-state school, and that kind of thing can sink your tournament hopes before they even have a chance. I understand him getting a mulligan for last season with all the COVID craziness going on, but it's pretty clear we're just spinning our wheels here.

Looking back on the final four and that team had a generational talent in Sindarious Thornwell. Kid had an amazing year and that was all him and not a product of good coaching . Martin squandered the momentum from that year and it has been downhill ever since . After watching him sit during the timeout and refuse to coach a couple years ago that should have been the end .

I don't think it's Tanner at all. His hands were tied at the 11th hour last year. He wanted him gone last year and that was the plan. Frank is in bed with several BOT's and it bought him another year.

They won't have a choice this year unless Frank can pull off a dive and catch.
Technically, the SC legislature bought him another year when our request for funding of themedical school was at issue and a certain legislator brought up the anticipated Martin buyout in relation to that request. Without a good explanation from our President, any consideration of a change was off the table.

Technically, the SC legislature bought him another year when our request for funding of themedical school was at issue and a certain legislator brought up the anticipated Martin buyout in relation to that request. Without a good explanation from our President, any consideration of a change was off the table.
Yep. Caslen went in unprepared, per usual, and that was the end of it.

Let's see how the season works out. I thought 20-22 wins. That's still possible, but based on last night it looks like Frank has lost this team. 16-18 wins looks more likely.

I've been a Frank defender, but yeah, it's time to move on. It's pretty much become an annual tradition for us to lose at least one embarrassing OOC game a year, often to a small in-state school, and that kind of thing can sink your tournament hopes before they even have a chance. I understand him getting a mulligan for last season with all the COVID craziness going on, but it's pretty clear we're just spinning our wheels here.
Yes, losing to a little in-state program is especially painful since it reinforces the idea to the state's top talent that the Gamecocks are not a serious program. It used to be that we worried the best SC players might choose Duke or UNC over us. But it's to the point now where we have no compelling argument to keep them from going to Alabama, Auburn, or LSU.

Reactions: CarolinaBro
Yes, losing to a little in-state program is especially painful since it reinforces the idea to the state's top talent that the Gamecocks are not a serious program. It used to be that we worried the best SC players might choose Duke or UNC over us. But it's to the point now where we have no compelling argument to keep them from going to Alabama, Auburn, or LSU.
Right, the amount of in-state and particularly Columbia area talent that's been going out of state to non-blueblood programs in recent years is alarming. Insane to think that someone like Ja Morant went with Murray State, for example.

Reactions: rogue cock
Let's see how the season works out. I thought 20-22 wins. That's still possible, but based on last night it looks like Frank has lost this team. 16-18 wins looks more likely.
I can't agree or disagree. Every year there's so much turnover that I have no idea what to expect. But given martin's history, they usually start slow with baffling losses to small schools, have a little run in conference, and then fall apart late in the season.

I can't agree or disagree. Every year there's so much turnover that I have no idea what to expect. But given martin's history, they usually start slow with baffling losses to small schools, have a little run in conference, and then fall apart late in the season.
That's the pattern....no doubt about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT