ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Morgan calls

Mike Morgan began calling college football game for ESPN in 2009 and has since added men’s college basketball and college baseball games, including on SEC Network.

In addition, he can also be heard calling college football games on national for SportsUSA Radio, as well as play-by-play on radio and television for the Atlanta Braves. Morgan has called Spring Training games for the Braves, serves as the television voice of the Gwinnett Braves (AAA) since 2010 and filled in on play-by-play for the Atlanta Braves on radio.

Based in Atlanta, he can also be seen co-hosting Sportsline and March Madness coverage on CBS Atlanta. Morgan spent four years hosting sports-talk on ESPN 790 the Zone from 2011-14. Morgan was the play-by-play television voice for the Carolina Panthers’ NFL preseason games from 2009-13.

His SEC journey continued as the youngest voice in the SEC, for the University of South Carolina baseball and basketball teams for 10 years, as well as the television voice for football from 2000-09. He also hosted a top-rated radio show, called NCAA Basketball Tournaments, three College World Series and NBA exhibition games on radio during his time in Columbia, S.C.

Morgan holds the unique distinction of graduating from one SEC school, being the radio/TV voice for another, and covering several others as a talk-show host. He has been nominated for numerous regional Sports Emmys including his work on the 2012 SEC Baseball Tournament for Comcast. He has also called college football and basketball games for Fox Sports and the Big Ten Network.

Morgan has won five NSSA Sportscaster of the Year awards for his call of South Carolina Gamecock games. A native of Boca Raton, Fla., Morgan graduated from the University of Florida with a degree in broadcasting and telecommunications.

Morgan ranks #3 behind Todd Ellis and Bob Fulton as USC's all-time favorite PBP announcers.

Mike Morgan is a respected professional network announcer.

Can anyone imagine Ellis calling a basketball or baseball game?

Go Cocks!
No worse than Morgan calling a football game. Morgan calling the couple of PPVs he did sounded like someone reading the minutes from a Board meeting.

Mike Morgan began calling college football game for ESPN in 2009 and has since added men’s college basketball and college baseball games, including on SEC Network.

In addition, he can also be heard calling college football games on national for SportsUSA Radio, as well as play-by-play on radio and television for the Atlanta Braves. Morgan has called Spring Training games for the Braves, serves as the television voice of the Gwinnett Braves (AAA) since 2010 and filled in on play-by-play for the Atlanta Braves on radio.

Based in Atlanta, he can also be seen co-hosting Sportsline and March Madness coverage on CBS Atlanta. Morgan spent four years hosting sports-talk on ESPN 790 the Zone from 2011-14. Morgan was the play-by-play television voice for the Carolina Panthers’ NFL preseason games from 2009-13.

His SEC journey continued as the youngest voice in the SEC, for the University of South Carolina baseball and basketball teams for 10 years, as well as the television voice for football from 2000-09. He also hosted a top-rated radio show, called NCAA Basketball Tournaments, three College World Series and NBA exhibition games on radio during his time in Columbia, S.C.

Morgan holds the unique distinction of graduating from one SEC school, being the radio/TV voice for another, and covering several others as a talk-show host. He has been nominated for numerous regional Sports Emmys including his work on the 2012 SEC Baseball Tournament for Comcast. He has also called college football and basketball games for Fox Sports and the Big Ten Network.

Morgan has won five NSSA Sportscaster of the Year awards for his call of South Carolina Gamecock games. A native of Boca Raton, Fla., Morgan graduated from the University of Florida with a degree in broadcasting and telecommunications.

Morgan ranks #3 behind Todd Ellis and Bob Fulton as USC's all-time favorite PBP announcers.
Forgive me please, BHTH is Todd "Interception" Ellis even in the top 5, muchless the top 3???!!!???!!!

As long as Ray Tanner is AD and Liz McMillan is over the radio network, there is no chance in hell he gets considered for anything at Carolina.

giphy.gif

Reactions: bchav307
Caught some of Morgan's calls of Braves games before he went to ESPN full time.
Had to be pretty cool calling games with Don Sutton. Loved him on Panthers preseason games too. Happy to see his career path has been so successful. He still talks about Columbia being a second home on the Jamie Bradford show, but you don't leave national television to do local radio.

Reactions: NetworkX
Used to enjoy listening to both Jim Powell and Mick Mixon when I lived in Columbia years ago.
Jim Powell not being on the on air voice of Carolina athletics is one of the biggest travesties in my lifetime regarding Carolina. It was obvious the guy is super talented. Unfortunately, Bob Fulton wanted to continue doing football and the Minnesota Twins were offering.

Reactions: NetworkX
Jim Powell not being on the on air voice of Carolina athletics is one of the biggest travesties in my lifetime regarding Carolina. It was obvious the guy is super talented. Unfortunately, Bob Fulton wanted to continue doing football and the Minnesota Twins were offering.

That's not exactly how it happened. My brother worked at WVOC in those days. Jim only did one sport, baseball. He did 2 or 3 years of it for us, but was always looking to do MLB on radio.
He applied for the job when Fulton retired and got passed over for Charlie Mac. He was bitter about it for years. The owner of the station at the time was friends with Bob Costas and helped Jim get the job in Milwaukee.

Your assessment on Ray Tanner isn't accurate either. I've known Ray for years going back to when he was coaching. He told the powers that be it was a mistake to let Morgan walk and the two have a great relationship today. He also knows MM is in a much better place. Things worked out quite well for both Morgan and Powell by not getting Gamecock football. And we've got Ellis for life!

Reactions: redrogers
That's not exactly how it happened. My brother worked at WVOC in those days. Jim only did one sport, baseball. He did 2 or 3 years of it for us, but was always looking to do MLB on radio.
He applied for the job when Fulton retired and got passed over for Charlie Mac. He was bitter about it for years. The owner of the station at the time was friends with Bob Costas and helped Jim get the job in Milwaukee.

Your assessment on Ray Tanner isn't accurate either. I've known Ray for years going back to when he was coaching. He told the powers that be it was a mistake to let Morgan walk and the two have a great relationship today. He also knows MM is in a much better place. Things worked out quite well for both Morgan and Powell by not getting Gamecock football. And we've got Ellis for life!
Interesting that not one person went to bat for Morgan publicly when he got the canned. What is known is that Morgan was reprimanded for not wearing Ray Tanner line clothing for a taping of a show in which Tanner was getting a kickback through Jewelry Warehouse. This happened on at least three occasions before termination. It was always said USC could never give Jim Powell a direction for him when asked which resulted in his leaving Columbia.

Never forgot the baseball series with Georgia, Carolina was down by 10 run in the 9th I believe and came all the way back to win and Mike called it never will forget it, Great game.
I was at that game with three friends and all our young teen boys. I said, let’s go fellas. I was ready to make our way home to Conway. The young boys said, let‘s stay, and we did. So glad we did. One of the most remarkable baseball comebacks I’ve ever seen!

I was at that game with three friends and all our young teen boys. I said, let’s go fellas. I was ready to make our way home to Conway. The young boys said, let‘s stay, and we did. So glad we did. One of the most remarkable baseball comebacks I’ve ever seen!
2007. What was supposed to be the last game at The Sarge. We were down 13-5 going into the bottom of the 8th. We scored 9 in the 8th to win 14-13.

Reactions: uscedge21
Mike Morgan was and is a consummate professional and an amazing broadcaster. I liked Charlie Mac, but even he was a downgrade from Mike. Now we are stuck with Todd “pushes forward for a loss of one” “45, 50, 55, 40” “Burn Lounge” dumbass Ellis! You can’t even figure out what’s going on in the game from his broadcast. I often wondered how he is in a courtroom. Liz McMillan is a lot of what’s wrong at Carolina.

Exactly! I also heard that after the 2010 national championship, which Morgan was not a part of, he gave Morgan a ring or something like that. Morgan and Ray have a great relationship from what I've heard, but Morgan would never come back to doing radio for a school - there is more money in it doing TV games for ESPN.

As for him being the third most beloved announcers in USC history.... from what I've seen and heard, it's a mixed back on Todd Ellis so I think Morgan is definitely #2. No offense to Todd - he does a lot for the school, but some of his play by play work obviously isn't loved by the masses.

I do like the guys that are doing the other sports now, though.

Very true Jason. Morgan said publicly he was very grateful for Ray giving him national championship rings after he was gone. Ray was always a huge fan of Mike and vice versa.
My neighbor asked Mike to do a voiceover for his son's flag football game and he was glad to do it during his off time. He also spoke to my son's broadcasting class multiple times and offered to help him get a job.
Mike's talent spoke for itself and it sounds like he loved his time here. What he's been able to do since leaving is pretty impressive to say the least. Good things happen to good people.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Very true Jason. Morgan said publicly he was very grateful for Ray giving him national championship rings after he was gone. Ray was always a huge fan of Mike and vice versa.
My neighbor asked Mike to do a voiceover for his son's flag football game and he was glad to do it during his off time. He also spoke to my son's broadcasting class multiple times and offered to help him get a job.
Mike's talent spoke for itself and it sounds like he loved his time here. What he's been able to do since leaving is pretty impressive to say the least. Good things happen to good people.

I really like Mike and I'm happy for his success. We blew it with him. So typical.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT