ADVERTISEMENT

MILB 2020 Season has been canceled...

UpstateGC

Gold Member
Jul 31, 2007
I was hoping to make it some of those games in NC & SC this year. Always enjoy the MILB games for many reasons - low cost, travel and local convenience, small ball and amateur play, intimacy seating, family atmosphere, etc.

I was hoping to make it some of those games in NC & SC this year. Always enjoy the MILB games for many reasons - low cost, travel and local convenience, small ball and amateur play, intimacy seating, family atmosphere, etc.

That sucks, but maybe good for kids who were thinking of turning pro and they can go ahead and go to college..

These Minor leaguers dont make a lot of money. The big leaguers should find a way to help these guys.

2 of my HS baseball teammates were drafted into the minors. i went out to visit both at different times, and I was completely shocked at how bad their living conditions and lifestyle was. 3 guys living in a 1 bedroom apartment and not a good one at that. Pulling money together to buy out the left over concessions after games at a discount so they could eat later. If not for their parents helping out there was no way they could have sustained themselves.
This was long ago and I don't know if the situation is better for minor league players now, but it was shameful how it used to be.

Not really. Unless you are a bonus baby with a big signing bonus life can be pretty lean in the minors. They pay just enough to exist on if you eat cheap, and cram a bunch of folks in an apartment. You are basically just existing hoping you get hot and climb the ladder to the big money. What amazes me are the numbers that can't give up the dream. I know one kid that got drafted, shuttled back an forth in the minors for four years, and didn't do well in their only attempt at AA ball. Franchise knew at that point that he had no future and banished him. Mid 20's with little minor league success, and no organizations after him. Yet he went up north to some Independent league in one last ditch effort to somehow make it.

ADVERTISEMENT