ADVERTISEMENT

milo gone @ 88:-(...

I considered Ernie Johnson to be the Voice of The Braves since he went back so long and had that folksy style. But I definitely remember listening to Milo on the old WWKT in Kingstree. Interestingly he was universally hated by just about everyone behind the scenes. Maybe he got better in Houston but there are lots of stories ago his ego and jerkness from his Atlanta and Chicago times.

I considered Ernie Johnson to be the Voice of The Braves since he went back so long and had that folksy style. But I definitely remember listening to Milo on the old WWKT in Kingstree. Interestingly he was universally hated by just about everyone behind the scenes. Maybe he got better in Houston but there are lots of stories ago his ego and jerkness from his Atlanta and Chicago times.

i never picked up on that, although it was the game I was interested in.
when radio was just about the only way, I 1st heard him as bob elston's sidekick doin' chisox games '60-'65 (for some unknown reason gvl had a white sox outlet (wmrb) 60 till early 70's. ....it was also the only way u could pick up day games, ie: yankess & hear how bobby & the mick were doin'.

baseball is a great fit for radio, it lets a mind imagine what the storyteller was seein' those old radio men who more often could only be heard @ night over a transistor tucked under a kids pillow:).

ah clear channel radio 50,000 watts:
harry carey & kmox....bob prince & kdka, herb score & wwwe, wait hoyt & wcky, gene elston & wwl, ernie harwell & wjr

I won't say anything bad about the deceased, so just let me say that I will never forgive the Pirates for canning Bob Prince and hiring Milo to do Pirate games. Prince was a legend. Milo, not so much.

I won't say anything bad about the deceased, so just let me say that I will never forgive the Pirates for canning Bob Prince and hiring Milo to do Pirate games. Prince was a legend. Milo, not so much.
prince was a classic, I can hear him now "alvin oneal mcbean" think it wasthe long runnin' fued w/ new station owners westinhouse that had been after bob, (had family that lived there & that was story I got) know he also had run in w/ abc.

prince was a classic, I can hear him now "alvin oneal mcbean" think it wasthe long runnin' fued w/ new station owners westinhouse that had been after bob, (had family that lived there & that was story I got) know he also had run in w/ abc.
The story I heard was that he was having alcohol problems, or at least that was the rumor. Man, he and nellie king made a great team. "There's a bug on the rug" and "We had 'em all the way"

The story I heard was that he was having alcohol problems, or at least that was the rumor. Man, he and nellie king made a great team. "There's a bug on the rug" and "We had 'em all the way"
was of the joys of life was hearing roberto play.....somewhat like hank playin' in a small market they never got the national adulation........ if they had played n ny the recognition would have come much earlier..

Reactions: burghcock
was of the joys of life was hearing roberto play.....somewhat like hank playin' in a small market they never got the national adulation........ if they had played n ny the recognition would have come much earlier..
I agree. Roberto was an amazing ballplayer. I still remember how upset I was on New Years Day when I heard of his plane going down. Pirates had some great teams back then, and they aren't too bad this year.

baseball is a great fit for radio, it lets a mind imagine what the storyteller was seein' those old radio men who more often could only be heard @ night over a transistor tucked under a kids pillow:).

I'm one of those kids but I'm 52 now. Been a radio junkie all my life. I used to listen to Larry King's late night radio show, long before his CNN gig. He was great on radio and had more of a sports theme.

Baseball is soooo much better on radio.

Is still go to sleep every night with an earpiece in my ear listening to something. Usually, I'll pull up Korblut's show.

As a kid living on Sullivan's Island, I would fall asleep every night listening to Milo and Ernie. I became a Braves fan when they moved to Atlanta in 1966. I can still remember some of Milo's lines.................Bravos 9 Bucco's 0...........Bombs away from Atlanta Ga.........That pitch was right down Peachtree.........Thanks for the memories Milo......RIP

Reactions: FORKCOCK
in the late 60s and most of the 70s I spent hundreds of hours listening to Milo and Ernie, what a great voice and great play-by-play guy, many happy memories, thanks Milo!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT