ADVERTISEMENT

Miss. State's Coach Schaefer blames yesterdays loss on his teams lack

permacock70

Aug 31, 2000
of maturity. How's that Vic when you start FOUR SENIORS AND A JUNIOR???? Your team has been thru the wars as have the Gamecocks. You simply lost (bascially a home game) to a team that played better. And Vic, you were out-coached also.

Last edited:
They choked. It’s that simple. I didn’t get to watch a lot of the game, but what I did see, MS missed a bunch of point blank shots. Good grief they missed something like 4 layups just in the 4th period.

Reactions: chick75
They choked. It’s that simple. I didn’t get to watch a lot of the game, but what I did see, MS missed a bunch of point blank shots. Good grief they missed something like 4 layups just in the 4th period.

Yeah, that was their big center who hasn't had to deal with defense much.
Vic's offense is let the guards drive around and dish it off in the paint to a big. A variation on the motion offense. If you can clog the passing lanes, which we did, they have issues.

Reactions: woodruffcock
They didn't choke.. It's the third game in 3 days.. Both teams are weary.. Both teams missed some easy shots.. The best team pounded Miss St in the paint with 3 talented post players.. They only have 1 big slow post player

I don't believe he meant that as a slight to Carolina. However, it may have been a dig at his players, especially Morgan Williams. She didn't finish the game for the 3rd straight time against us. I don't watch State enough to know what she does that gets her in the doghouse, but she did get outplayed by Harris yesterday. Harris is almost unnaturally mature. As composed as any Gamecock athlete I can remember.

I don't believe he meant that as a slight to Carolina. However, it may have been a dig at his players, especially Morgan Williams. She didn't finish the game for the 3rd straight time against us. I don't watch State enough to know what she does that gets her in the doghouse, but she did get outplayed by Harris yesterday. Harris is almost unnaturally mature. As composed as any Gamecock athlete I can remember.
The young lady that backs up William is cat quick and a better defender.. When Ty went to work on them, Schaefer went with his best on ball defender

I don’t like the guy for throwing that guard under the bus. William is her name I think.

Reactions: danh011
I like Vic Schaefer, good coach, good guy. Teaches the game the right way and shows respect to every opponent. He learned a lot from Gary Blair.

What Vic Schaefer has not done over the last 4 years is schedule with an eye towards the NCAA tournament. They have only played 5 non conference teams that have been ranked and only one of those games was a true away game.

Just last year we played @Duke @UCONN @Ohio state @Texas Louisville on a nuetral site UCLA@ home. Miss St has not exposed themselves to different styles than the SEC. They have not risked losing as a learning experience. Dawn has scheduled everybody of national import in the last 5 years except Baylor. The more tough teams you play the better you get.

I don’t like the guy for throwing that guard under the bus. William is her name I think.
I agree, he didn't do his job last year, to help a good player who was expertly schemed and defended out of a game. Other than that one lapse I find him to be a wonderful coach and a straight shooter.

We did all we could to let his team back in there near the end - five turnovers in six possessions. If they couldn't take advantage of that they really didn't deserve to win.

We should all thank Vic Shaefer daily. If not for him, we wouldn't have that national championship banner.

What I saw was Wilson would not be denied. And her team caught on to that like the flu.

We should all thank Vic Shaefer daily. If not for him, we wouldn't have that national championship banner.
This is not a dig at you Rod but I get tired of people saying that. We played the teams that were put in front of us and were the last team standing. We owe nothing to Vic or Mississippi State. Our team worked hard to get to that championship game. Too bad Uconn didn't work a little harder, especially on that last play.

This is not a dig at you Rod but I get tired of people saying that. We played the teams that were put in front of us and were the last team standing. We owe nothing to Vic or Mississippi State. Our team worked hard to get to that championship game. Too bad Uconn didn't work a little harder, especially on that last play.
Only one team proved it was good enough to win the 6 games in the draw.. Our Gamecocks proved it.. UCONN did not

I believe last year he blamed it on Miss St having to play 3 games in 3 days. Guess he forgot that Carolina also played 3 games in 3 days. He won 2 of his 3. We won all 3 of ours. I like Vic but could easily learn to dislike him. I already dislike the Miss St fans. They act like they are on the same level we are. When they win 4 regular season titles, 4 SEC tournament titles and a National title, or even half that, we can talk.

Reactions: lawcalcock
Not true at all... We were certainly the best team in the nation last season....

No doubt we were when it counted...at the end of the season. Allisha Gray was the WNBA Rookie of the Year. You could make the case we had the best two players in college basketball last year in Gray and Wilson. When A'ja, Gray and Davis playing more minutes in the absence of Coates, we were the best team in the country. I don't mean to slight Alaina; she just happened to play the same position as a generational player.

I also don't think he meant it as a dig against us. Elsewhere, I saw him quoted that his team simply was not tough enough to go against our team in the championship game. Said A'ja and our players were mentally stronger.

Reactions: DarkCock
I also don't think he meant it as a dig against us. Elsewhere, I saw him quoted that his team simply was not tough enough to go against our team in the championship game. Said A'ja and our players were mentally stronger.

I agree that he wasn't taking a swipe at our team. That's why I still like him but the State fans think they were robbed.

I agree that he wasn't taking a swipe at our team. That's why I still like him but the State fans think they were robbed.

The State fans are the biggest bunch of whiners in the SEC...They screamed everytime a foul was called against them...Heck Jennings picked up 2 fouls as quick as McGowan did...I had a MissSt fan on twitter with the gaul to ballyhoo they'd rather win a national Championship than a conference title...I'm like dude, y'all have yet to win either...Right now we hold both...

I like their program and their HBC...But they are stupid fans with a serious case of Cock envy

Reactions: GarnetGhost
The State fans are the biggest bunch of whiners in the SEC...They screamed everytime a foul was called against them...Heck Jennings picked up 2 fouls as quick as McGowan did...I had a MissSt fan on twitter with the gaul to ballyhoo they'd rather win a national Championship than a conference title...I'm like dude, y'all have yet to win either...Right now we hold both...

I like their program and their HBC...But they are stupid fans with a serious case of Cock envy
Hard to believe but that school has NEVER won a National Championship in ANYTHING. We have fans that belly ache cause they don't want to be known as a women's basketball school. State fans would sell their collectively souls to the devil and gladly become known as a women's basketball school if it would get them a National Championship. And we think our athletic history is bad.

Hard to believe but that school has NEVER won a National Championship in ANYTHING. We have fans that belly ache cause they don't want to be known as a women's basketball school. State fans would sell their collectively souls to the devil and gladly become known as a women's basketball school if it would get them a National Championship. And we think our athletic history is bad.
I don't like to post about it... But we have some fans on internet sites that are total idiots... They are hard to ignore and don't ever seem to shut up... The consistent excellence of the women's basketball program is something any sane Gamecock should be very proud of...

I really wish some of you would stop bagging on coach Schaefer. He hasn’t said a bad word about this team or University. Always complimentary of Dawn and how good of a coach she is. Are we in their heads a bit? Perhaps, but let’s not forget they also went to the finals last year AND they beat UCONN...something we have never done. If Dawn can’t get the ladies to the final game...I’m rooting for coach Vic as it shows the strength of the conference. Some of the other coaches in the league... you know who you are Missouri and Tennessee...could learn a lot from him and the class he displays when getting beat.

I'm certain you didn't mean it this way, but that can come off as insulting to women.

of maturity. How's that Vic when three of your starters are seniors? Your team has been thru the wars as have the Gamecocks. You simply lost (basically a home game) to a team that played better. And Vic, you were out-coached also.

What am I missing? How was this basically a home game for Ole Miss State?

I'm certain you didn't mean it this way, but that can come off as insulting to women.
Thank you. Of course I didn't mean it to be in any way insulting to women, only meant it as insulting to State fans. . . kidding:). The sentence you pointed out has to be read in reference to the previous sentence about some of our fans belly aching. :);)

I believe last year he blamed it on Miss St having to play 3 games in 3 days. Guess he forgot that Carolina also played 3 games in 3 days. He won 2 of his 3. We won all 3 of ours. I like Vic but could easily learn to dislike him. I already dislike the Miss St fans. They act like they are on the same level we are. When they win 4 regular season titles, 4 SEC tournament titles and a National title, or even half that, we can talk.

They lose 4 starters after this season and we have 4 + returning. I think we have a good chance to win again next year. Georgia might challenge us or Tennessee might, but I doubt it.

His reference is it being only 200 miles from Starkville... They had more fans there than USC and Tenn...it was a raucous pro MissSt crowd

Tennessee had a lot of fans there when we played them, but their WBB fan base keeps the blue rinse companies in business.

of maturity. How's that Vic when three of your starters are seniors? Your team has been thru the wars as have the Gamecocks. You simply lost (bascially a home game) to a team that played better. And Vic, you were out-coached also.

thought it was somewhat of a burden on them being undefeated & carryin' that n2 a game vs a team they had already beaten twice, much less r tourney experience.......a least that was what i partially pinned my hopes on.......know i dont want 2 face them next yr n same situation.

thought it was somewhat of a burden on them being undefeated & carryin' that n2 a game vs a team they had already beaten twice, much less r tourney experience.......a least that was what i partially pinned my hopes on.......know i dont want 2 face them next yr n same situation.
What team had MissSt beaten twice?? If we are in the championship game next year, what difference does it make who we play... Either you are good enough or you're not... MissSt wasn't good enough... That's why we have defeated them 12 of the last 13

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
What team had MissSt beaten twice?? If we are in the championship game next year, what difference does it make who we play... Either you are good enough or you're not... MissSt wasn't good enough... That's why we have defeated them 12 of the last 13

n coach speak they psychologically won the spit game.

UConn beat the shit out of us.
That is so stupid... We lost to Tenn and Mizzou prior to winning the championship... Were they better?.. For the record UCONN won at Storr's 66-56... Don't know what your colorful metaphor refers to... Maybe some alternate reality bull shit

That is so stupid... We lost to Tenn and Mizzou prior to winning the championship... Were they better?.. For the record UCONN won at Storr's 66-56... Don't know what your colorful metaphor refers to... Maybe some alternate reality bull shit

If you take comfort in an 11 point loss to the team that would have certainly whipped us again if they hadnt been caught looking ahead by Mississippi State, more power to you. But the fact remains every time we play UConn they are head and shoulders better than us. And that will likely continue until Geno retires.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT