ADVERTISEMENT

Missing my dad on Father's day.

THE COACH 23

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2009
Today has been the hardest day yet since my dad passed away in late December. The next hardest thing to get through will be when Gamecock football season kicks off and he's not here to talk to about it. I'd like to think the good lord above will open up a window where he's able to pull up a chair and enjoy the game from the best view there is. I knew today was going to be difficult, but I had no idea just how much. I have to admit even though I cherished my dad everyday, always hugged him, and told him I loved him I did often take father's day for granted. So I ask that if your dad is still around please make sure you tell him you love him and give the man a hug today. I miss my dad every single day and would give anything just to be able to hug him and tell him happy father's day. I also would love to tell him even though he knew it anyway just how much he meant to me. So I just wanted to share a few pictures notice pretty much all my pictures of him he's got something Gamecock on or around him. Wherever he went he always wore a Gamecock hat or shirt especially when out if town. He definitely loved his Gamecocks. So in memory of him today I I'm sharing some pictures 8f my best friend my dad.

I will be so happy when my family and I are finally able to pay for a maker to go on his grave. It's difficult going to his grave sight with nothing there that tells others or myself here is where Larry Marshall was laid to rest. Me, my mom, and brother are currently saving what we can to get that done before the one year anniversary of him being called home. Oh and by the way you best believe when we do get it made it will have a Gamecock on it. Happy Father's day to all the dads out there. Enjoy your day. Thanks again for the help many of you gave back in December to help have my dad laid to rest. It literally blew me away especially once I found out we had raised enough to pay for his whole funeral. God bless all of you. #ForeverToThee

To my dad I miss you everyday and I love you! I wish you could see the recruiting class we got coming in this next year so far. I know you would be really excited for the future of Gamecock football.
In memory of my dad Larry Marshall!

IMG_20121024_173343_zpsz4dl8uxg.jpg

Screenshot_20181231-232108_Photos_zpstxx4g4u4.jpg

Screenshot_20180224-005404_zpsg92xjwoi.png
20190101_163938_zpsirhp8nfw.jpg
20130713_144833-1_zpsje3p3hew.jpg
Screenshot_20181230-165140_Photos_zpstqkjp5ck.jpg
Screenshot_20190101-174033_Photos_zps3aunfh4f.jpg
Screenshot_20170401-003745_zpsulqfi9ch.jpg
Screenshot_20190101-171838_Photos_zpszaw32uto.jpg
20190101_162305_zps0lyisjsg.jpg
20130521_152628_zpscsl3b1ki.jpg
20131225_163237_zpsswz9zsof.jpg
20190101_171238_zpsksowvc3h.jpg
IMG_20171120_183156_269_zpskhbgnf76.jpg
IMG_20190226_184612_663_zps2iesr6cu.jpg
20181120_173310_zpso6tvstay.jpg
20181229_020423_zpsvrqvshjv.jpg

You learn as you grow. Remember all the younger years where you took their presence for granted. Sometimes even hoped they would leave you a little space. Then as you, and they get older, one begins to realize how time slips away and you try to hang on as much as you can. Not only with Dad, but others close that I have lost along the way. Have no regrets with any as they all knew how I felt about them. But as I get older, I quite often think as to how I would give about anything to have 15 minutes to chat with them. The folks around us are more precious than we realize as we get caught up in day to day activities. I now always try to remember that.

I lost my dad 18 years ago, and I still think about him all the time. I'm sorry for your loss. I know the pain of not having him here for Gamecock football. Good fathers definitely should not be taken for granted.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Hey my Dad has been gone 20 yrs now. I miss and talk to him everyday. Big Gamecock fan also. I miss his intelligence , his patience, his kindness , his toughness, his loyalty and his never ending love to his 3 children. God bless you Daddy I’ll see you again one day

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
I lost my father 2.5 years ago. He gave me my love of gamecock baseball, took me to all of the basketball games during the mcGuire years, and took me to the freshman football games.

OP, looks like your Dad was still a young man - sorry for your loss.

I lost mine almost 9yrs ago - he was 67. It wasn't unexpected, but that doesn't make it any easier.

Mine was a USC fan too - a grad as well - and raised me to be a Gamecock fan! (There are times when I question the wisdom in that - LOL!)

Lost my father in 1972 - I was 7 years old, he in his 30s. He succumbed from injuries sustained in an automobile accident, after fighting to live for a couple of weeks.

I still have memories of him, but honestly cannot say if the face I see in my mind come from actually looking into his, or come from pictures of him that I have looked at over and over.

I am in my 50s now, and I still miss him. Cherish the time you have with your parents: remember the good times, the laughs, the lessons they taught you (or tried their best to), and they will never leave you, nor fail to continue teaching you, nor fail to make you feel good, and feel loved.

I did not have much of a dad. However, I am close to my two boys. We all celebrated
Fathers Day yesterday at my younger son's lake home. We had a great time and as I get older I very much appreciate their presence. Happy Fathers Day to all.

Reactions: SCspur1
Lost my dad 10 years ago the week SC played UT. My dad graduated from Clemson, and is one of the names in the sidewalk they have there from the 50s. He loved SC 2nd best cause he had two sons go there. He and two of my brothers were taters. We had a great time razzing each other. He fought in Korea and was a great dad. I wish he could have been around for our 5 game streak as well as the taters two titles. He would have loved it all.

Reactions: Zann77 and 92Pony
I'm so sorry for your loss. While it never get's easy the first year is the worse, the first Christmas, the first Father's Day, the first whatever. I went through the same thing when my mom passed away and that has been many many years ago. I was an only child and we were very close and there is never one single day I don't think about her. I was a freshman in college when she passed away and boy was it tough getting through those first few years but the first year was the hardest.

But just think of your father and when you accomplish something he would be proud of just think of him and how happy you have made him. And when I say accomplish something, it might just be remembering him and the great times you and him shared and you can bet he is looking down and smiling.

Last edited:
Reactions: tngamecock#
Thanks for the post.

Fathers are not the idiotic buffoons Hollywood would like us to believe they are.

We are sometimes- just like everyone else. The difference in most cases (versus the Hollywood depiction) is that love is the basis of a good dad’s actions, not getting laughs or total incompetence.

I tell my two older teen boys (my daughter is 11) that I know I make a ton of mistakes and don’t know even half of the answers but I love them with everything in me and that everything I do is to help them.

My dad is 83 and is still alive due to modern medicine.

Back in 2006 he had a colonoscopy done and a cancerous tumor was detected. He had surgery to remove about a foot of his colon and then spliced back together. He had some complications the first year, and had to have a follow-up but since then he’s been cancer free.

A colonoscopy is the epitome of an invasive procedure but I strongly recommend everyone get it done at the appropriate time. I had my first one in 2015, the year I turned 50, and a non cancerous polyp was detected and removed.

I’d like to thank the OP and everyone else for sharing their stories. I caused my parents a lot of grief when I was younger (not gonna rehash it here), but I’m grateful for the extra time to improve our relationship and for him to watch his grandkids grow up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT