ADVERTISEMENT

Mizz coaching candidates

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
The list of possibilities from Football scoop is less than stellar. Some retreads like we have done or some who have not done much near this level (SEC)

Central Michigan’s Jim McElwain, Tulane’s Willie Fritz, Louisiana Tech’s Skip Holtz, Air Force’s Troy Calhoun, Army’s Jeff Monken and Charlotte’s Will Healy have emerged as candidates for the opening in Columbia.

The list of possibilities from Football scoop is less than stellar. Some retreads like we have done or some who have not done much near this level (SEC)

Central Michigan’s Jim McElwain, Tulane’s Willie Fritz, Louisiana Tech’s Skip Holtz, Air Force’s Troy Calhoun, Army’s Jeff Monken and Charlotte’s Will Healy have emerged as candidates for the opening in Columbia.
Selection wont be any better next year. Thats why Ray needed to get the hire right 4 years ago. That said, there is a coach that can turn this program around. Up to our highly paid administration to find them (preferably excluding Tanner).

Reactions: 75CarolinaFan
The job he has done at Army is impressive.
Only issue with that would be that would his system work for the long haul? Doesnt he run an option type offense? Paul Johnson got figured out after a while and now GT is a long ways from being good again due to having to recruit a whole different type of player

That is actually a disturbingly weak field of choices. If they take Monken, would they move to the option. I would hope the mutiny would happen were he to ever make our list. The option works for service academies and once every 3 years in the ACC. I cannot see it in the SEC. To much speed on defense.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
That is actually a disturbingly weak field of choices. If they take Monken, would they move to the option. I would hope the mutiny would happen were he to ever make our list. The option works for service academies and once every 3 years in the ACC. I cannot see it in the SEC. To much speed on defense.
It worked in the SEC against Muschamp and Florida........ I think Georgia Southern only threw the ball 2 times...... Of course, everything works against Muschamp..... His offense couldn't score much on them either...... Again..... How dumb were we to hire him.....SMH.

Went to Missouri two years ago and was not impressed. Lackluster stadium, quiet crowd, just not much going on. I realize they have had more success than us historically, but in the what have you done lately arena they don't rate much better than us. Yet, here they are, screaming about being unhappy with the candidates and wanting a big name. I guess you have to create the narrative that you deserve a big name before you can get one. We seem to be busy crying about the fact that nobody wants to come here. When (if) we are going through this again next year, what will be the narrative then? Heck, what's the narrative now with oc hire?

When done well enough (execution) with good enough players (recruiting) any system, including the option, could work.

Lamar Jackson could put up points in the SEC and he went to Louisville. That is the type of kid South Carolina SHOULD be able to get.

Reactions: DarkCock
Went to Missouri two years ago and was not impressed. Lackluster stadium, quiet crowd, just not much going on. I realize they have had more success than us historically, but in the what have you done lately arena they don't rate much better than us. Yet, here they are, screaming about being unhappy with the candidates and wanting a big name. I guess you have to create the narrative that you deserve a big name before you can get one. We seem to be busy crying about the fact that nobody wants to come here. When (if) we are going through this again next year, what will be the narrative then? Heck, what's the narrative now with oc hire?

Went a few years ago as well, and completely agree. I know there are a ton of negative folks on this board, but that is not a better job, under any circumstances, than USC.

Also the bars close at midnight.

Only issue with that would be that would his system work for the long haul? Doesnt he run an option type offense? Paul Johnson got figured out after a while and now GT is a long ways from being good again due to having to recruit a whole different type of player
Depends on if he is married to the option offense. Could be that a good coach runs the system that allows his players to succeed. In a different program with different athletes, he might run a different offense.

Reactions: SCExile
Some program had better lock down PJ Fleck before one of the perennial powers grabs him. I think he's going to be a winner wherever he goes.

Went a few years ago as well, and completely agree. I know there are a ton of negative folks on this board, but that is not a better job, under any circumstances, than USC.

Also the bars close at midnight.
Midnight? People are just going out in Columbia at midnight.

Check. 'Too much speed on Defense. Of course, if other SEC teams whined and bellyached like we do when facing an option team, maybe we could do something there . . .just kidding, folks.

When done well enough (execution) with good enough players (recruiting) any system, including the option, could work.

Lamar Jackson could put up points in the SEC and he went to Louisville. That is the type of kid South Carolina SHOULD be able to get.
When used as an occasional wrinkle, the option can work sometimes. But I would say overall there is a reason you don't see teams that run that type of offense anywhere near the playoff picture.

Depends on if he is married to the option offense. Could be that a good coach runs the system that allows his players to succeed. In a different program with different athletes, he might run a different offense.
I suppose that's a possibility. But to my experience, coaches that run that system typically are wedded to it.

Triple option will never work and will never be able to recruit on the level needed to win in this league. Georgia tech is now ruined for a decade.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT