ADVERTISEMENT

MLB: Eight players likely not to make the Hall. Link.

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
A couple of things that really surprised me (not about this article) but I was reading the other day and I totally did not know this because I don't follow MLB very much these days.

1. Roger Maris never made the Hall!!!! Why? Please tell me. My gosh, he broke the most coveted record in all of SPORTS. Most, home runs hit in a single season during his rookie year. I know things for Maris went down hill from his rookie year, but again he broke the most cherished record in all of sports without cheating- example taking steriods. Now those players that broke the home run single season record that used steriods can stay out of the Hall forever, as far as I am concerned. Because, they did not break the record without help from illegal substances.

2. Also, there is a time limit on how long a player is eligible to be voted into the Hall. Why is that rule in place? What if evidence is discovered years later a player did everything right during his playing days and the accusations against him were not true? Would that not change things?

Gosh, did not know any of the above. Still can't believe Maris was not voted into the Hall.
This post was edited on 3/9 11:12 PM by Freddie.B.Cocky

Eight players likely not to make the Hall.

In 12 years he hit 275 HR'S and had 850 RBI'S... one season does not make a career... one season does not put you in the hall of fame

Originally posted by bosoxcock:

In 12 years he hit 275 HR'S and had 850 RBI'S... one season does not make a career... one season does not put you in the hall of fame
But, the most coveted record in all of sports does put you in the HOF, imo. Also, imo he is the last player to break Babe's record. McGuire and Bonds did it with steriods.

of course that's your opinion.. but a .260 career BA... only had 100 + RBI's 3 times in 12 years. and 61 of his 275 HR;S hit in one year just doesn't get you in ... imo, ....and of course the people that make that decision.

I give him credit for one great year

In 1961 the year Maris hit 61 , Yankees decided to switch batting orders so Maris could hit 3rd and Mantle 4th.. reasoning that Maris would see better pitches and Mantle would not be pitched around any longer ( when he was batting 3rd)

well, if the right field fence was not under 300' in Yankee Stadium his record might have been held in higher regard.

This post was edited on 3/9 7:45 PM by uscdoug

1) Roger had a couple MVP/HOF type years, but the total body of work makes the difference. You may recall it was expanded season 162 games vs. 154 games (see asterisk), along with expansion's weak pitching that contributed to his record breaking season.

2) Time limit has a lot to due being related to time frame i.e.; elected by your peers
. Granted some may fall into the cracks.

IMO today, way too many players get in Cooperstown.

There ought to be consideration for that home run year that ruined his health and all the death threats he got. Fans mistreated him to no ends.

Originally posted by COCK of the WALK...:
1) Roger had a couple MVP/HOF type years, but the total body of work makes the difference. You may recall it was expanded season 162 games vs. 154 games (see asterisk), along with expansion's weak pitching that contributed to his record breaking season.

2) Time limit has a lot to due being related to time frame i.e.; elected by your peers
. Granted some may fall into the cracks.

IMO today, way too many players get in Cooperstown.
Well, didn't every team benefit from the weak pitching as a result of team expansion?

fwiw, old yankee stadium had a short right field of 295' ...built 4 ruth..

& it fit rogers' sweet lefthanded swing. parks are no longer allowed to be built under 325...... boston has a short right field pesky pole @ 302' , same as gvl's fluor park.

Re: fwiw, old yankee stadium had a short right field of 295' ...built 4 ruth..

Fenway might be 302 dead on the right field fair pole fence line.. but quickly juts out to 380 in right field.

Roger's best work may have been getting Mickey to the ballpark..Between him and Bob Cerv that was quite a chore..

I've never been to the Hall of Fame, but from what I understand, that moment is enshrined. Same way with Pete Rose. There are apparently plenty of pictures and memorablia associated with Rose and his record. It's just their busts that aren't in the Hall of Fame.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT