ADVERTISEMENT

"Most Balanced Attack of the Year..."

Cockish

Apr 11, 2017
So says the home page article. For those who can help me put this in perspective relative to the common knowledge that teams generally improve to their most potential by mid-season and not beyond that...is it the competition, the fact the SEC east is down or are we really improving? I get it W/L record wise it' an improvement over last year...yes, things seem to go better when Jake runs with the ball...so, are linemen blocking better?... is Jake making better reads?...is Roper calling better plays?...I just want to believe that we have gotten better and more balanced so that we don't get blown out by Clem5on and we do have a chance to win. Thanks for indulging me.

Ok. I'll play along...

I think it is a combination of improvement and a favorable schedule. I think we are clearly better - especially on defense. We have a real pass rush and we are solid and well coached everywhere.

The offense is a mixed bag, but it would take a cynical view (or a hatred for Roper) to not acknowledge some improvement. I have seen MUCH worse offenses around here, for sure.

As for the schedule - you can't deny that UT and Florida are dumpster fires. But NC State is pretty good, Mizzou is better than we thought. We played Georgia pretty well (yes, we lost, but they are clearly the better team and they were killing everybody before us).

My hope is that Clemson is not as good as the last two years. They keep winning, but any objective look at them shows a more vulnerable team this year. I don't know if we have the horses to do it, but I see them losing before the National Championship game this year. For our sanity, I hope it is us or Miami so they miss the playoff this year.

I think it’s an Achilles heel. Jake is definitely making better reads...BUT, I think sometimes he prematurely scrambles when he needs to stay in the pocket and let his routes develop. Even if it’s collapsing, those few secs can be the difference of 8-10 yd gain vs a 15-20 yd gain. I like when he scrambles. He’s a playmaker when it that happens. But I think our WRs need to make sure that they get back to the ball and find space. Hayden is great at this, and Brian Edwards the same.

I think we overall have made strides for the good, but sometimes we take 2 steps back. And I feel that is scheme related due to the fact that roper is so dern predictable.

Reactions: Cockish
Ok. I'll play along...

I think it is a combination of improvement and a favorable schedule. I think we are clearly better - especially on defense. We have a real pass rush and we are solid and well coached everywhere.

The offense is a mixed bag, but it would take a cynical view (or a hatred for Roper) to not acknowledge some improvement. I have seen MUCH worse offenses around here, for sure.

As for the schedule - you can't deny that UT and Florida are dumpster fires. But NC State is pretty good, Mizzou is better than we thought. We played Georgia pretty well (yes, we lost, but they are clearly the better team and they were killing everybody before us).

My hope is that Clemson is not as good as the last two years. They keep winning, but any objective look at them shows a more vulnerable team this year. I don't know if we have the horses to do it, but I see them losing before the National Championship game this year. For our sanity, I hope it is us or Miami so they miss the playoff this year.
One correction. UF has been a dumpster fire on offense, but their defense is still pretty stout.

Reactions: DrMickey
Ok. I'll play along...

I went to the Clemson game yesterday. The citadel did not even try I am convinced. It was Ropers playcalling on steroids. Run up the middle for no yards over and over again. The Citadel is worse than South Pointe High School by far. I don’t think they even cared. He score says one thing but Clemson was playing a ghost. In a way it is good that they blew El CID out because that was not even a warmup game.

One thing they did, which I think all the colleges with Big leads should have done was pull the starters straight out in the second half. One it keeps the starters from getting hurt and it gives the backup players experience
I went to the Clemson game yesterday. The citadel did not even try I am convinced. It was Ropers playcalling on steroids. Run up the middle for no yards over and over again. The Citadel is worse than South Pointe High School by far. I don’t think they even cared. He score says one thing but Clemson was playing a ghost. In a way it is good that they blew El CID out because that was not even a warmup game.

Reactions: joplin gamecock1
We have improved in positions and in attitude. Twenty years from now it will still show us 8-3 now and never mention how strong the east was or wasn't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT