ADVERTISEMENT

Most Gamecocks Picked Us To Finish 8-4 ...

SportsSuites1

Oct 17, 2007
maybe 9-3 if we got lucky.

Many said 7-5, tops ... maybe even 6-6, while some said 5-7. A few said we'd win 'em all but you could tell they were laughing when they said it. ALL acknowledged it was going to be a rebuilding year and so far we've seen a lot of good things that point to that happening.

You can't deny our defense is much improved, as is (IMHO) our offensive line. Connor Mitch got a tough break before he could ever get started and now we'll move forward with Perry Orth. He's looked pretty good and he comes from good stock, his Dad played football at West Virginia.

Why so many (fans?) feel the urge to trash our team, the players and especially the coaches makes absolutely no sense to me.

Why we have to put up with so many impostors on the FGF makes even less sense, but hey - it's a free country.

The rants penned on the FGF won't matter to the players or coaches and no one else cares, either so let it rain. Just remember when it stops raining you (and you know WHO you are) had nothing to do with rooting 'em on or watching their backs.

We got beat by a decent KY team that's much better than they've been in recent memory but so what, did anyone watch anyone else yesterday? Auburn had to play OT to beat a D-2 school AT HOME while supposedly 'powerful' Louisville and Notre Dame both looked awful, as well - so did FSU. I didn't see all the games but I've read the scores and there's a lot more 'parity' out there (it seems to me) than there's been in a LONG time.

OSU had to put the hammer down against an obviously hugely overmatched Hawaii team and score 3 TD's in the 4th to make it 38-0. Until then Hawaii actually had as many 1st downs and yards passing as OSU did, they just ran out of subs to 'rotate in' and their guys on D were finally just beaten down.

We know Alabama is loaded but they didn't completely blow away that little school they played yesterday. Vandy played UGA pretty tough, too before 'folding' late.

It's still 'early' and there's a lot still to learn and see about what we have and what's going to happen. That 8-4 most predicted still appears plausible to me, and why so many feel compelled to criticize is a mystery to me.

Missing a FG we usually make, throwing that pick on 1st down, suffering a fluke play like that 2-pointer instead of tying it up and popping off when we're on the 2 to get put back to the 17 weren't in and of themselves 'utter failures' ... they 'collectively' caused the loss. Eliminate almost any ONE of them and we survive with a W, eliminate two of them and we most certainly would have won.

We're not a GREAT team right now, but we're still 'pretty good' ... and 'good enough' to beat 'bout anyone still on our schedule if we can stop the mess-ups and get a little more out of the forward-pass.

We can STILL have a 'good' year and I think we will. I guess we'll see. I'm not planning to stop watching (or cheering).

No clem update? Just your opinion on how fans should act? Do us all a favor, if you want to cheer for the team, then by all means do it but get off the high horse. Just as you are allowed to write your endless novels on EVERY post, others are allowed to voice their opinions. If it doesn't fit your template of how a true fan should act, then so be it.

Not being a flamer here, but we need a coaching staff that is headed by a young enthusiastic coach who can recruit and still seems to enjoy the game,

We need a guy like Chad Morris (LIKE Chad Morris, NOT Chad Morris) who can come in and clean house and RECRUIT some talent like he is doing at SMU.

We have the money, we have the fan base, we have the facilities (improving every time I visit Columbia), but we don't have the leadership, recruiting and right now talent to be much better than a 6-6 team in the SEC. If we were in the west division I would be saying 4-8.

4-8. SS1, just go away. Your crazy schtick is old.

I realize you live in the SW quadrant out by the airport
and only dream about Buckhead ... so giving you the same latitude I've given every 'homeless-will work for food' sign-guy I've ever encountered at a stop sign here's a dollar. I know you're using it for cheap wine and realize you're a pest but it's better to let you drink yourself to death now than have to support you in your old age.

And it's SHTICK you PUTZ.

I don't know what our record will be, but I do know there was two different teams playing in each half. So one must question, what was the difference and why the adjustments weren't made earlier in the first half. I don't worry about what say about our team, it's usually on point. What is really silly is talking about other teams, when our team can't take care of their own business. Talk about karma.

Reactions: kick#
Great post SportsSuites1 I agree. 7 or 8 or 9 wins maybe but I will never stop watching them play and cheering. I still believe we could beat UGA possibly.

I realize you live in the SW quadrant out by the airport and only dream about Buckhead ... so giving you the same latitude I've given every 'homeless-will work for food' sign-guy I've ever encountered at a stop sign here's a dollar. I know you're using it for cheap wine and realize you're a pest but it's better to let you drink yourself to death now than have to support you in your old age.

And it's SHTICK you PUTZ.
Ahhh, more drivel followed by name calling.

What's funny is that year after year, college football fan bases overreact. Every single group of fans make these sweeping declarations about how bad or good a team is after a particular result. Sure, there are so few meaningful games played each year that a win or a loss can swing a season, but you'd think people would remind themselves that these are unpaid college kids playing games with limited and restricted practice time. Circumstances can and often do change wildly from week to week.

Not being a flamer here, but we need a coaching staff that is headed by a young enthusiastic coach who can recruit and still seems to enjoy the game,

We need a guy like Chad Morris (LIKE Chad Morris, NOT Chad Morris) who can come in and clean house and RECRUIT some talent like he is doing at SMU.

We have the money, we have the fan base, we have the facilities (improving every time I visit Columbia), but we don't have the leadership, recruiting and right now talent to be much better than a 6-6 team in the SEC. If we were in the west division I would be saying 4-8.
I agree with "colaheat"! Personally, there's only one coach on our staff that I'd want to keep and that's G.A. Someone said he was calling the plays in the second half and we were moving the ball so much better (don't have a really good QB yet - hopefully, that'll get better)! We have everything we could possibly need now & we just need some inspired coaches who can recruit AND coach! This was a REALLY bad loss! JMHO!!

It looks like the HBC ain't what he used to be, but I thank him for what he has done for us. I think we are back to winning 6 or 7 games a year and losing to Clemson, but I hope I am wrong about that.

A couple of truths about where our program is right now. You decide if it shows promise or not.
(1) We were only a play or two from beating Kentucky at home. You know, Kentucky, traditionally the 13th best team in our 14 member league.
(2) We will be starting a walk-on QB for the remainder of the season. In the SEC. Why have a recruiting budget or scholarships at your disposal when you can just plug in kids who show up for tryouts in August.
(3) All of the coaches remain from a season ago. We also gained a coach. As it stands, we have 0 offensive coordinators and 2 defensive coordinators.

IMO you beat the following...

Missouri
Vandy
Citadel
UCF
Florida

I think Tenn and TAMU are possible wins.

8-4 ceiling 6-6 floor

Nice post except you left Clemson off the list.. How can you be honest and even not mention them when you have played nobody.. IMHO think you are just looking for way to say we can not beat Clemsuck this year.. Way to much football and a least I would want to see you guys in action to give a IMHO.. Come back later in the year with your opinion..

Chad Morris....? What in the hell is this infatuation for this turkey. Hell, he couldn't beat us and he stole his offense, he didn't invent it. You guys kill me with this type of idiotic ranting about this copycat loser. I would think Mark Dantonio (someone who was a Gamecock) or another proven winning younger head coach would be good. Screw Morris !!!!

rQUOTE="colaheat, post: 761584, member: 31011"]Not being a flamer here, but we need a coaching staff that is headed by a young enthusiastic coach who can recruit and still seems to enjoy the game,

We have the money, we have the fan base, we have the facilities (improving every time I visit Columbia), but we don't have the leadership, recruiting and right now talent to be much better than a 6-6 team in the SEC. If we were in the west division I would be saying 4-8.[/QUOTE]
I read a post on IF who said that he was at locker room and that the players didn't seem to care-shades of deja vu. I'm not too sure the administration cares as much about FB as the fans seem to. Look at USC's recruiting budget-last in the SEC. If the players and administration don't care that much, why should we? The fact that the AD felt compelled to put up that outsized pic of SS may say more about his decision making than we want to admit. SS has been our best coach and no one may ever equal his 3 11 win seasons but he probably wants to head for the golf course as he may feel he has done the best he could and he put that "you can't win at USC" to rest.
You are right in that we need an energetic, motivated, young coach to come in and clean house.
I predicted 9-4 and was not drunk or high on drugs but now it seems more like 5-7 or 6-7.

Reactions: colaheat
Nice post except you left Clemson off the list.. How can you be honest and even not mention them when you have played nobody.. IMHO think you are just looking for way to say we can not beat Clemsuck this year.. Way to much football and a least I would want to see you guys in action to give a IMHO.. Come back later in the year with your opinion..

Because I will never ever predict Scar to beat Clemson. I would expect the reverse out of you :)

Because I will never ever predict Scar to beat Clemson. I would expect the reverse out of you :)

Then you are incapable of an honest opinion... Just a orange kool-aid drinking opinion.. I can not honestly predict the Clemson vs SC game until you guys actually play a team with a pulse..

Chad Morris....? What in the hell is this infatuation for this turkey. Hell, he couldn't beat us and he stole his offense, he didn't invent it. You guys kill me with this type of idiotic ranting about this copycat loser. I would think Mark Dantonio (someone who was a Gamecock) or another proven winning younger head coach would be good. Screw Morris !!!!
Obviously did not actually read my post...... try again.

Lets take a step back for a moment.

Team X has an inexperienced, often injured Offensive line, team X has an often injured, inexperienced RB core, team X is woefully inexperienced at the WR core, team X is woefully inexperienced at QB. That's just one side of the ball.

Team X, to cover up recruiting mistakes bought in a ton of Junior College and Freshman defensive linemen, and those players are expected to contribute immediately. Team X has a defensive coordinator that hasn't been in college for 13/14 years, and when he was in his previous job, they wanted to run him off.

Anyone in their right mind, would look at those question marks, and see what's coming.

Many said 7-5, tops ... maybe even 6-6, while some said 5-7. A few said we'd win 'em all but you could tell they were laughing when they said it. ALL acknowledged it was going to be a rebuilding year and so far we've seen a lot of good things that point to that happening.

You can't deny our defense is much improved, as is (IMHO) our offensive line. Connor Mitch got a tough break before he could ever get started and now we'll move forward with Perry Orth. He's looked pretty good and he comes from good stock, his Dad played football at West Virginia.

Why so many (fans?) feel the urge to trash our team, the players and especially the coaches makes absolutely no sense to me.

Why we have to put up with so many impostors on the FGF makes even less sense, but hey - it's a free country.

The rants penned on the FGF won't matter to the players or coaches and no one else cares, either so let it rain. Just remember when it stops raining you (and you know WHO you are) had nothing to do with rooting 'em on or watching their backs.

We got beat by a decent KY team that's much better than they've been in recent memory but so what, did anyone watch anyone else yesterday? Auburn had to play OT to beat a D-2 school AT HOME while supposedly 'powerful' Louisville and Notre Dame both looked awful, as well - so did FSU. I didn't see all the games but I've read the scores and there's a lot more 'parity' out there (it seems to me) than there's been in a LONG time.

OSU had to put the hammer down against an obviously hugely overmatched Hawaii team and score 3 TD's in the 4th to make it 38-0. Until then Hawaii actually had as many 1st downs and yards passing as OSU did, they just ran out of subs to 'rotate in' and their guys on D were finally just beaten down.

We know Alabama is loaded but they didn't completely blow away that little school they played yesterday. Vandy played UGA pretty tough, too before 'folding' late.

It's still 'early' and there's a lot still to learn and see about what we have and what's going to happen. That 8-4 most predicted still appears plausible to me, and why so many feel compelled to criticize is a mystery to me.

Missing a FG we usually make, throwing that pick on 1st down, suffering a fluke play like that 2-pointer instead of tying it up and popping off when we're on the 2 to get put back to the 17 weren't in and of themselves 'utter failures' ... they 'collectively' caused the loss. Eliminate almost any ONE of them and we survive with a W, eliminate two of them and we most certainly would have won.

We're not a GREAT team right now, but we're still 'pretty good' ... and 'good enough' to beat 'bout anyone still on our schedule if we can stop the mess-ups and get a little more out of the forward-pass.

We can STILL have a 'good' year and I think we will. I guess we'll see. I'm not planning to stop watching (or cheering).
I honestly was hoping for 7 wins. Thought 8 would be considered a very good year. If we lose to UGA, we are looking at 4 or 5 wins.

Put the bottle down buddy

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT