ADVERTISEMENT

Most Iconic Sports Moment You Witnessed In Person

I’m not sure it was iconic, but it was definitely memorable to me. In 2001, we watched Baltimore play the Braves in Atlanta. It was Cal Ripken Jrs final season, and he hit two home runs in the game. Another lifelong memory for me is that I watched the Yankees play in what will always be, to me, as The Yankees Stadium. This was in 2008, the final season they played there. The All-Star game was played there that season, and they were giving out free All-Star game hats the game I saw. I still have mine, and it’s only been on my noggin a couple of times. I was in attendance for Lou and Spurriers Gamecock coaching debuts, and I personally witnessed Booms only bowl win at USC.

Reactions: Mr_Blutarsky
Good one. I was there for that one as well.
I was sitting on the Hill. I vividly remember seeing Butler get the ball and take off around the left side. Obviously the defense couldn’t hear me screaming because they all went for the fake. 🙁

1998 Braves vs. Blue Jays. Maddux vs. Juan Guzman. Braves won 2-0 and scored with two solo HRs. Going by memory here, but I believe the game was 1 hour and 46 minutes long and was the second shortest game in MLB history at the time. We still managed to pound 3.5 hours worth of Budweisers in 1.75 hours because we knew that 7th inning last call was looming 😂🥴

Reactions: mikeypen
Off the top of my head, mine has to be the Clowney hit. When that happened, everyone in the stadium, at least around me, knew they had witnessed something remarkable.

August 9, 1966

A C&P (w/ interjections)….

1. Sandy Koufax: Sandy Koufax was in the last year of his career, and what a year, winning the Cy Young Award for the second straight season and finishing second in the MVP race for the second straight season. He finished 27-9 with a 1.73 ERA and 323 strikeouts, all of which led the NL. This was his second, and last, game pitched in Atlanta Stadium, the other being a 2-1 win over Lemaster on June 26th. (He also had a 5-2 loss to Ken Johnson on July 9th in Dodger Stadium in which Cloninger got his only save of the season.) As a clear demonstration of the phenomenon that was Koufax, those games were two of the three highest attendances of the season, and this game exceeded Opening Day in Atlanta, while the other one fell just short.

The first 8 ½ innings: Atlanta Stadium had already started to gain its reputation as the Launching Pad, but this was an old-fashioned pitching duel. Felipe Alou led off for the Braves in the bottom of the first with a homer, Woody Woodward singled twice and Mike de la Hoz walked for all the offense the Braves could muster until the bottom of the ninth against Koufax, who struck out 9. But Lemaster matched him: after two harmless walks in the first inning, he was untouchable until the 8th when Jim Lefebvre hit a homer to break up the no-hitter and tie the game. This isn’t 2018, though, and Lemaster stayed in, even giving up a double to Koufax later in the inning and a two-out single by Tommy Davis in the top of the 9th. 9 innings pitched, 1 run, 3 hits and 10 strikeouts.

Eddie Mathews: with one out in the bottom of the 9th, Eddie Mathews hit a line drive walk-off homer to right to end the game. It was the next-to-last loss of Koufax’s career. I haven’t talked about Mathews that much because he wasn’t having a very good season. After this game, he was hitting .222 and OPSing .680 with only 8 homers. This was the 485th home run of his career. He’d hit 8 more in Atlanta in the last two months before being traded to Houston and Detroit for 19 more after an entire previous career with the Braves franchise: the only player to play in Boston Milwaukee and Atlanta.

A walkoff homer by one Hall of Famer off of another Hall of Famer is a pretty rare event. Babe Ruth hit a walkoff against Ted Lyons in 1928. Jimmie Foxx hit one off Lefty Grove in 1938. Frank Robinson did it twice; off Bob Gibson in 1964 and Rollie Fingers in 1971. Roberto Clemente hit one off Fergie Jenkins in 1972. Tony Perez hit one off Bruce Sutter in 1983. There are surely more but it’s not that easy to research.

One of the greatest games in Braves history.
Oh, & the 2+ hour rain delay in the 7th? Knew my parents would want to leave. So what did Earle do?……..he disappeared walking the stadium😂……..I was a bad boy…..destined even then to be a Cockhead!

Last edited:
Reactions: caughtlookin
2010 & 2011 CWS titles for USC

1977 NCAA Championship Game in Atlanta when Marquette's Al McGuire put his face in his hands in the final moments when he realized what was transpiring.

August 9, 1966

A C&P (w/ interjections)….

1. Sandy Koufax: Sandy Koufax was in the last year of his career, and what a year, winning the Cy Young Award for the second straight season and finishing second in the MVP race for the second straight season. He finished 27-9 with a 1.73 ERA and 323 strikeouts, all of which led the NL. This was his second, and last, game pitched in Atlanta Stadium, the other being a 2-1 win over Lemaster on June 26th. (He also had a 5-2 loss to Ken Johnson on July 9th in Dodger Stadium in which Cloninger got his only save of the season.) As a clear demonstration of the phenomenon that was Koufax, those games were two of the three highest attendances of the season, and this game exceeded Opening Day in Atlanta, while the other one fell just short.

The first 8 ½ innings: Atlanta Stadium had already started to gain its reputation as the Launching Pad, but this was an old-fashioned pitching duel. Felipe Alou led off for the Braves in the bottom of the first with a homer, Woody Woodward singled twice and Mike de la Hoz walked for all the offense the Braves could muster until the bottom of the ninth against Koufax, who struck out 9. But Lemaster matched him: after two harmless walks in the first inning, he was untouchable until the 8th when Jim Lefebvre hit a homer to break up the no-hitter and tie the game. This isn’t 2018, though, and Lemaster stayed in, even giving up a double to Koufax later in the inning and a two-out single by Tommy Davis in the top of the 9th. 9 innings pitched, 1 run, 3 hits and 10 strikeouts.

Eddie Mathews: with one out in the bottom of the 9th, Eddie Mathews hit a line drive walk-off homer to right to end the game. It was the next-to-last loss of Koufax’s career. I haven’t talked about Mathews that much because he wasn’t having a very good season. After this game, he was hitting .222 and OPSing .680 with only 8 homers. This was the 485th home run of his career. He’d hit 8 more in Atlanta in the last two months before being traded to Houston and Detroit for 19 more after an entire previous career with the Braves franchise: the only player to play in Boston Milwaukee and Atlanta.

A walkoff homer by one Hall of Famer off of another Hall of Famer is a pretty rare event. Babe Ruth hit a walkoff against Ted Lyons in 1928. Jimmie Foxx hit one off Lefty Grove in 1938. Frank Robinson did it twice; off Bob Gibson in 1964 and Rollie Fingers in 1971. Roberto Clemente hit one off Fergie Jenkins in 1972. Tony Perez hit one off Bruce Sutter in 1983. There are surely more but it’s not that easy to research.

One of the greatest games in Braves history.
Oh, & the 2+ hour rain delay in the 7th? Knew my parents would want to leave. So what did Earle do?……..he disappeared walking the stadium😂……..I was a bad boy…..destined even then to be a Cockhead!
I was a teen and went to the Aug. 8, 1966 series opener with my parents. I was hoping for Koufax or Drysdale to go for the Dodgers. I had to settle for a rookie out of Alabama. Some guy named Sutton.

I was a teen and went to the Aug. 8, 1966 series opener with my parents. I was hoping for Koufax or Drysdale to go for the Dodgers. I had to settle for a rookie out of Alabama. Some guy named Sutton.

I was lucky, very lucky.

My old man was stationed @ Scott AFB @ the time, but knew he’d be back in Gvl on leave for a stretch….both parents were not only baseball fans, but big dodger fans. He happened to order tickets (months in advance
right behind home plate, club level below press), for the middle game of a three game series vs the bums……I studied the dodger pitching rotation some time before & knew without some weather screw up I’d see Mr. K.

Needless to say I had to go to school the next day, Wednesday, we must have gotten home after 2AM….classmates refused to believe what I’d seen…….I save stubs & still have this one! Not to mention my first mlb game I ever saw @ DC stadium.

Please don’t tell the fire marshal.

I have watched Brett Favre play in person twice. Neither time was in Green Bay. They were both in Charlotte. Both times, my Packers beat the charlotte panthers!

Took my dad to Omaha to see us win our 1st significant NC. Went back the next year to be at Ameritrade.
I went to Dallas to see the WBB team win the NC. But seeing the HIT live is still second to none.

Reactions: F-86F
I still think "The Miracle on Ice" when the US Olympic Mens' hockey team defeated the heavily favored Soviet Union at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, NY. Many of you were probably not born yet. That was a major boost of American pride. Other close behind is our baseball team winning the natty in the last game played in the old stadium in Omaha and then winning it again in the new stadium the 1st year it was open and even being the runner-up the next year. The big USC upset of highly ranked UGA at the WB 35-7.

Being close to NYC has allowed me see a couple cool things. I saw all 4 games (semis & final) of our men’s hoops back-to-back NIT championships. And then on the non-gamecock side, I think it was 2013.....went to a Yankees game and Jeter had been out injured for like two months. Unannounced before the game, he showed up at the plate for the Yankees first at-bat and hit a home run. I think it was the second pitch. The place went nuts, and the energy continued for 3 solid hours.

Reactions: Bear_Rooster
I'm just looking forward to that day when we can see some team hoist the "We're #12!" trophy.
I still think "The Miracle on Ice" when the US Olympic Mens' hockey team defeated the heavily favored Soviet Union at the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, NY. Many of you were probably not born yet. That was a major boost of American pride. Other close behind is our baseball team winning the natty in the last game played in the old stadium in Omaha and then winning it again in the new stadium the 1st year it was open and even being the runner-up the next year. The big USC upset of highly ranked UGA at the WB 35-7.

Yeah, the Miracle on Ice has to be THE most iconoc moment in our country's sports history. So many aspects to that event and the environment surrounding it...it was really an unbelievable outcome to a game on the worldwide stage.

Reactions: yemacock
December 1965 basketball win over top ranked Duke at the old field house. Duke shot three times with the clock running out, and missed. As I recall Skip Harlicka got the rebound and headed down the court as the horn sounded. Incredible experience, especially in the field house with 3200 full capacity present.

The Fade

I saw the fade in person

I worked the sidelines for ESPN my senior year when we beat UGA and picked of Quincy Carter 5 times after our winless season! I was holding cable for the camera on the raised cart, standing right behind our bench watching them draw up the plays!! Gave the D high fives when they came off the field after the last pick… Best sports memory of my life…

Gamecock related....
don't know if truly iconic, but my first ever live gamecock sporting event was when Marquette came to town in 74 and Brian Winters hit the game winner at the end after being down quite a bit.

1978 Gary Harper to Horace Smith and two pt conversion......incredible win 18-17. felt like we were only ones left in stadium for the 80 yard bomb. my gosh it was loud though.

for those who don't know, Horace passed away this past week. heard it was an aneurysm. RIP

1980 Gary Harper to Horace Smith vs Wake Forest. rinse and repeat.

1979 Clemson game......Jay Feltz's punt pinning the enemy all the way back. incredible punt.

1983 SoCal game.....if it ain't swaying we ain't playing

non gamecock related.....

• was at the Phillies 10,000th loss in 07. they played the cardinals in Philly. Albert Pujols had 2 home runs. Was hot as you know what.
  • definitely iconic, was on the 17th tee box at Pinehurst for '99 Open directly behind them when both Payne Stewart and Phil hit their tee shots. Two great shots, but once Payne hit his putt took off to get a position on 18th green. fun day

Last edited:
The "hit" from Whit Merrifield at the Blat.

The "Blast" from Christian Walker against Coastal Carolina that got us to Omaha.

Clowney "hit" in Outback Bowl.

The "I can throw the fade" against Miss St. at WB...

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Top two on my list...
1. Daughter played catcher all year as a freshman out of necessity in college but pitched one game at the end of the season in the conference tournament. Turned out to be the second no hitter in school history.

2. Same daughter. Same season. Final regular season game. 11 pitch at bat. Fouled off enough to get to her FIRST college HR. Mother was presented the ball by the coach after the inning... it was Mothers Day. This one is definately the most iconic thing I have ever seen.

I was at the final 1966 world series game in Baltimore, when the Orioles beat Don Drysdale and swept the Dodgers.

Seeing Steve Prefontaine run at the Drake relays and Florida relays. Never been a more dominant runner.

Seeing Jack Nicklaus win the Masters in 1986.

Also in Tampa to witness the Clowney hit, but was more excited about Ellington's TD catch.

Wish I could have been at the ACC basketball championship game when we beat UNC. But no, I wasn't.
Where were you for the 86 Masters? It’s such a unique place. I got to go about 1 tournament day a year during the 80s, but we were in Florida when Jack won in 86. What’s interesting about being there is you get snippets of the day, plus a manual score board, and roars that make you wonder what in the world happened. Such a unique experience.

Where were you for the 86 Masters? It’s such a unique place. I got to go about 1 tournament day a year during the 80s, but we were in Florida when Jack won in 86. What’s interesting about being there is you get snippets of the day, plus a manual score board, and roars that make you wonder what in the world happened. Such a unique experience.
I was living in Augusta for a number of years and had the opportunity to attend the Masters each year. I never really followed a specific golfer, but rather just wandered the course to see as much as I could. Didn’t know Jack would win it until late, but got to the 18th in time to see him finish.

Reactions: DrMickey
Best in person Gamecock moments for me:

- The fade
- Brad Edwards pick six to seal the deal against clemsuck
- Antonio Grant drills a three to snatch the game from Cincinnati
- Ryan Brewer destroys Ohio St

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT