ADVERTISEMENT

Most Iconic Sports Moment You Witnessed In Person

My personal one was my first ever nascar race was Darlington where I watched Bill Elliott win the first ever Winston Million

Fast forward to my son (10) and I went to his first bowl game and witnessed the Clowney hit while sitting in the endzone facing it. One of those father son moments that ill always cherish

Last edited:
I remember it like it was yesterday but that time me and another golfer tied after the 2 rds in the club championship (3rd flight)We played 2 extra holes and was still tied.We decided to go to a putt off on the practice green.I finally won after about half way through.We kinda had a gallery following us watching.I’m surprised it wasn’t on sports center.

Hmmm...

For Gamecock stuff.....

Watching Big George run over everyone's face for the 79 & 80 seasons. I showed up on campus and had no idea of who he was...attending the GA/SC Herschel/Big George battle at Athens form the scaffolding on the train tracks.

The 2010 Alabama Win and the GA 2012 win were tops...

The 2010 World Series in Omaha...a must trip for true baseball fans.

For other stuff...

Watching mad Max Scherzer's 20 strikeout game from 20 rows behind the Nationals dugout - one of 5 ever in the Major Leagues.

Following Tiger for several days at the 97' Masters. He won by 12 frickin' strokes.

Darlington 1980...where I fell in love with some guy named Ironhead who drove the baby blue and yellow #2 car...Wrangler if I remember correctly

Mets/Yankees 2000 subway series...the game where Clemens threw the bat at Piazza. Have always hated the Yankees and always will.

Redskins 91' Super Bowl win over Jim Kelly and Buffalo. (Made it to the playoff wins over Atlanta and Detroit as well) Sadly some ass named Danny Snyder bought the franchise and ruined it...no longer a fan.

NBA Playoffs - 1977/78 season.. snuck down to the floor and under the basket - security wasn't what it is today - and watched the Washington Bullets out away the 76'ers to win the Conference championship. Dr J, Darryl Dawkins, some guy named Mike Dunleavy etc versus Elvin Hayes, Wes Unseld and crew. I had no idea how big them boys are until I got close up.....

Have a bunch more but figured this was a good list......

Reactions: caughtlookin
Hmmm...

For Gamecock stuff.....

Watching Big George run over everyone's face for the 79 & 80 seasons. I showed up on campus and had no idea of who he was...attending the GA/SC Herschel/Big George battle at Athens form the scaffolding on the train tracks.

The 2010 Alabama Win and the GA 2012 win were tops...

The 2010 World Series in Omaha...a must trip for true baseball fans.

For other stuff...

Watching mad Max Scherzer's 20 strikeout game from 20 rows behind the Nationals dugout - one of 5 ever in the Major Leagues.

Following Tiger for several days at the 97' Masters. He won by 12 frickin' strokes.

Darlington 1980...where I fell in love with some guy named Ironhead who drove the baby blue and yellow #2 car...Wrangler if I remember correctly

Mets/Yankees 2000 subway series...the game where Clemens threw the bat at Piazza. Have always hated the Yankees and always will.

Redskins 91' Super Bowl win over Jim Kelly and Buffalo. (Made it to the playoff wins over Atlanta and Detroit as well) Sadly some ass named Danny Snyder bought the franchise and ruined it...no longer a fan.

NBA Playoffs - 1977/78 season.. snuck down to the floor and under the basket - security wasn't what it is today - and watched the Washington Bullets out away the 76'ers to win the Conference championship. Dr J, Darryl Dawkins, some guy named Mike Dunleavy etc versus Elvin Hayes, Wes Unseld and crew. I had no idea how big them boys are until I got close up.....

Have a bunch more but figured this was a good list......

That's quite a list. I'm jealous...

I saw Emmitt Smith break Walter Payton's all time rushing record in Dallas
The fade
Taneyhill signing the paw in DV

Saw Boston Red Sox hit 9 home runs vs. Tigers in the last year of old Briggs Stadium in Detroit.

Saw Michael Jordan in Charlotte NBA game.

Saw Frank Robinson hit his 500th career home run at Boston's Fenway Park.....last game of that season.

Saw Albert Poulos hit 3 home runs vs. Reds in Cincy.

Saw Frank Thomas hit a home run in Chicago that I swear never elevated over 10 feet. Saw the Cubs play in Wrigley field the day before.

Saw Johnny Unitas and the Baltimore Colts in person several times.

Saw numerous games '66-'73 Carolina Gamecock basketball coached by Frank McGuire.

1971 ACC Championship in Greensboro (Only Acc tournament game I ever attended.

40 years of attending the MASTERS tournament.

51 years of attending Carolina Football. Grantz, Shaw, Clowney, Rogers, and all the rest.....

Last edited:
Tom Owens out jumping Lee Deadmon to Kevin Joyce as Carolina "Did Do" the friggin tarholes for the ACC Tournament Championship

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
i have been to one.. WAAAAY back. SF vs SD... Was Anti Climatic, SF was supposed to, and Drubbed SD

Same here. I got tickets expecting to see SF play Pittsburgh. And then Pitt totally choked at home to SD...they were 14 point favorites, which is unheard of for an NFL playoff game. And they lost.

The Super Bowl itself was horrible...so bad that I left in the 3rd quarter.

Same here. I got tickets expecting to see SF play Pittsburgh. And then Pitt totally choked at home to SD...they were 14 point favorites, which is unheard of for an NFL playoff game. And they lost.

The Super Bowl itself was horrible...so bad that I left in the 3rd quarter.
we stayed til the Bitter end. Hated Miami, loved Lauderdale.

Good question. I've seen quite a few iconic sports moments on TV, but I can think of very few that I witnessed in person. However, here's the biggest one that sticks out to me:

1980 USC vs Wichita St.

The previous week, the Gamecocks defeated the University of Pacific, 37 - 0. This game saw South Carolina's very own Willie Jefferies return to the state as the first Black Head Coach of a predominantly white university in the country's history. Unfortunately for Coach Jefferies, George Rogers started his Heisman campaign in this game, and the announcer was calling the JV squad to the locker room at halftime to get dressed to play in the second half. (I had never heard anything like it before, and have never heard anything like it since.) This was the time that there was no East Upper stand in Williams-Brice. My brother and I sat in the West Upper with some tickets that a business associate gave to my dad. The Gamecocks trounced the Shockers 73-0, and the rest his history.

we stayed til the Bitter end. Hated Miami, loved Lauderdale.

Congrats on enduring the torture that was the second half of that game.

I have to ask...did you keep your ticket stub? People were offering $100+ for used stubs outside of the stadium. I was a poor college student at the time, and was mighty tempted to sell. But I kept it, figuring I'd always want it as a souvenir. 25 years later, I'm glad to still have it.

I was there when Reece closed down The Sarge with a walk-off.
I was there April 23, 1997.
I was there for our first SEC Baseball game.
I was there for June's last game at The Sarge.
I was there for Ray's first game.
I was there when we beat UK at home 1997.
I was there for Tony Grant's 3 vs Cincy.
I was there for our First SEC Football game.
I was there for our first SEC Basketball game.

I am almost positive I will never see this again. I was at the USC vs Ole Miss football game in 1976 at WB. Ole Miss had a barefooted punter named Jimmy Miller. Anyway, Ole Miss was forced to punt and the line of scrimmage was their own 18 yard line. The resulting punt by Jimmy Miller was the highest longest punt I had ever seen in my life before or since that game. The ball went into the end zone without rolling.

In fact, Coach Carlin said on his show the next day he personally had never seen a punt like that before in his entire life.

Bill Elliott win the Winston Million.

Whit Merrifield with the "real" hit in the last game ever at Rosenblatt.

JBJ catch the final out at TD Ameritrade to win the first CWS there.

Freaking Dmac run for like 400 yards on us on a cold night in 05 or 06 I think.

5 peat...nuff said.

But honestly the best thing I ever saw was our games against UVA and UF in 2011 at TD Ameritrade. Those games were just unreal.
Ditto on Million Dollar Bill.

I was there when Reece closed down The Sarge with a walk-off.
I was there April 23, 1997.
I was there for our first SEC Baseball game.
I was there for June's last game at The Sarge.
I was there for Ray's first game.
I was there when we beat UK at home 1997.
I was there for Tony Grant's 3 vs Cincy.
I was there for our First SEC Football game.
I was there for our first SEC Basketball game.
I was part of 1, 7 and 9 on this list. Also been to several Master's tournaments when Arnie, Jack and Faldo etc were still going strong.

Saw Ian Woosnam hit one hell of a shot out of the straw and pine trees on 13 at Augusta that led to an eagle. This shot led to him winning The Masters. Talked to Crenshaw on his way up the 18th on Sunday to win his first Masters. Saw Jack, Arnie and Gary playing a threesome all birdie #9 at Augusta. I told my buddy that I was with I’d never forget that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT