ADVERTISEMENT

Most KY Fans Are 'Cautiously' Confident

SportsSuites1

Oct 17, 2007
Went over to KY site to read, not post (and didn't) - KY fans think they have a BIG edge at QB, WR. RB and are expecting some honcho back I'd never heard of on their DL that will supposedly 'shut down our running game' (their perceived weakness). They're scared of Spurrier' - most agree with that writer from the AJC that always called him an 'evil genius'. 'Bout 60/40 think they'll win ... the one's who don't think they'll get plastered.

'Mildly' disappointing (but not at all surprising) were the avatar-messengers I read from this board (supposedly Gamecock fans) pandering to KY fans while running down the Gamecocks "we can't do this, we can't do that, we can't stop this, we can't - yada, yada, yada). Bunch a bums.

We really need to pressure their QB, the guy's good. and the HBC is RIGHT ... we don't need any 'drops' and we need some of these young WR guys to take some pressure off of Cooper.

KY fans (and their mods who wrote the game-comps) also think KY has better 'special teams' and a better FG kicker. I don't know where they got that from.

They flat-out think they have better athletes. I think they're wrong. Guess we're all gonna' see. Many think the line is a 'gift' that should be at most +3 to them 'cause we're playing 'em here, which doesn't seem to scare them much. We need to scare the crap out of them with the crowd noise.

A lot of them seem to be making the trip, or at least they say they're coming. NONE of these games we play are gimmee's ...we need to stay focused. THIS is an SEC CONFERENCE GAME ... let's be ready. I believe we are.

I think UK is a good team. We got the win last week but we didn't look great. I think La Lafyette is just about as good as UNC. I think UK will give us a battle. If Mitch cant make throws on time its going to be a long night. You cant count on 3 INTS per game to bail you out.

Every home game I went to last year we lost. Here is to hoping that trend ends this Saturday.

I hate to nit pick, but our sophomore kicker is was 1st team all SEC last season as a freshman. Career long of 54 yards, compared to Fry's 47 yards. The better kicker statement is justified.

Are y'all giving JoJo Kemp some extra fluids? Still the single most frustrated time I've ever watched Gamecock football. I have a feeling it will be tough sledding for ol JoJo this time around.

I think both defenses have a lot of question marks and, quite frankly, issues. I honestly don't think either team will stop the other, giving up huge numbers offensively. This game is going to be a high scoring game and I honestly have no idea who's going to win. One thing I can tell you though, it's going to be a battle.

Also, I'll be there as I live in Columbia.

I think both defenses have a lot of question marks and, quite frankly, issues. I honestly don't think either team will stop the other, giving up huge numbers offensively. This game is going to be a high scoring game and I honestly have no idea who's going to win. One thing I can tell you though, it's going to be a battle.

I can understand why you feel this why, I defense has given no one a reason NOT to feel this way.
However, I felt the same way about the UNcarolina game last Thursday. I thought for sure we wouldn't be able to even slow them down, with their high powered-fast paced offense. However, we did. Whether it was turnovers or stops, doesn't matter, we did.
I also didn't expect us to struggle as bad as we did on offense. At times, Mitch looked like a JV QB who just got pulled up in a 911 situation on a Friday night. And others, he made good decisions, found open guys or made a play with his feet and got away for positive plays.
I think Steve is right, we have to have a WR step up, opposite of Pharoh, or it's going to be a LONG year. If that guy is Deebo, Shamir, Adams, Googer- I don't really care. But, one of them has to play better, get open, block, and catch in order for us to win games like Saturday night.
I think the over/under for the game with Nor Car was 65, I was expecting around 80 points to be scored, b/c I didn't think we'd stop em. I'm not sure what to expect Saturday, but I don't think it'll be a shoot out.

Reactions: GCMD2

I can understand why you feel this why, I defense has given no one a reason NOT to feel this way.
However, I felt the same way about the UNcarolina game last Thursday. I thought for sure we wouldn't be able to even slow them down, with their high powered-fast paced offense. However, we did. Whether it was turnovers or stops, doesn't matter, we did.
I also didn't expect us to struggle as bad as we did on offense. At times, Mitch looked like a JV QB who just got pulled up in a 911 situation on a Friday night. And others, he made good decisions, found open guys or made a play with his feet and got away for positive plays.
I think Steve is right, we have to have a WR step up, opposite of Pharoh, or it's going to be a LONG year. If that guy is Deebo, Shamir, Adams, Googer- I don't really care. But, one of them has to play better, get open, block, and catch in order for us to win games like Saturday night.
I think the over/under for the game with Nor Car was 65, I was expecting around 80 points to be scored, b/c I didn't think we'd stop em. I'm not sure what to expect Saturday, but I don't think it'll be a shoot out.

I'm a UK fan, and definitely NOT confident about this weekend, but our FG kicker IS excellent. He missed an XP last week, but that's an anomaly.
You must be a negative nelly Kentucky fan. Just kidding. Our FG kicker is excellent as well. At least he is the best one we've had in a long while since Succop. He may not have quite as much leg but I like our chances from inside 50 and he has made over 100 xps in a row I think I heard, no anomalies. Our kickoff guy is also much improved in his distance, and our new punter looks a lot better than the ones we usually have.

Why do Adolph Rupp U fans think kicking only involves field goals? Our kick off guy , the one that looks like Clark Kent, booms them out of the end zone. Our new transfer punter is lights out pinning down UNC twice inside the 10 averaging over 42 yards per punt. Our little guy Fry is money and I wouldn't trade him for any other field goal kicker.

Went over to KY site to read, not post (and didn't) - KY fans think they have a BIG edge at QB, WR. RB and are expecting some honcho back I'd never heard of on their DL that will supposedly 'shut down our running game' (their perceived weakness). They're scared of Spurrier' - most agree with that writer from the AJC that always called him an 'evil genius'. 'Bout 60/40 think they'll win ... the one's who don't think they'll get plastered.

'Mildly' disappointing (but not at all surprising) were the avatar-messengers I read from this board (supposedly Gamecock fans) pandering to KY fans while running down the Gamecocks "we can't do this, we can't do that, we can't stop this, we can't - yada, yada, yada). Bunch a bums.

We really need to pressure their QB, the guy's good. and the HBC is RIGHT ... we don't need any 'drops' and we need some of these young WR guys to take some pressure off of Cooper.

KY fans (and their mods who wrote the game-comps) also think KY has better 'special teams' and a better FG kicker. I don't know where they got that from.

They flat-out think they have better athletes. I think they're wrong. Guess we're all gonna' see. Many think the line is a 'gift' that should be at most +3 to them 'cause we're playing 'em here, which doesn't seem to scare them much. We need to scare the crap out of them with the crowd noise.

A lot of them seem to be making the trip, or at least they say they're coming. NONE of these games we play are gimmee's ...we need to stay focused. THIS is an SEC CONFERENCE GAME ... let's be ready. I believe we are.
This just in. Fans think they're going to win. Thanks capt.

Reactions: mattrudd
Well....they will have a long ride back for reality to set in......Cocks 35.....Cats 17

At least they aren't as arrogant as the redneck wannabe's to our west.....

I am looking for the defensive improvements tomorrow. I'm predicting the defense averages no less than a score a game...they stopped 3 TDs last game...lets see if we get that big sack/fumble/pick that goes back to the house.

I think that Mitch has learned a lot from that first game...he's probably gonna run more than he did...make a few plays with his legs. Read Option ftw. Settle down and move the chains instead going for the big plays. Do that and we have plenty of weapons in the backfield to control tempo. That's most important.

IMHO, it's more about what we do right than what UK can do to stop us...as long as we get better defensively and settle down and run the ball on offense, we'll be ok...

Reactions: SportsSuites1
I hate to nit pick, but our sophomore kicker is was 1st team all SEC last season as a freshman. Career long of 54 yards, compared to Fry's 47 yards. The better kicker statement is justified.
How is that statement even closely justified? Because his one career long is 7 yards longer? That's a ridiculous statement to make. Just hope your "better kicker," isn't what you need to rely on tomorrow.. Because you'll definitely lose then.

Reactions: KDcats11
to be fair i dont think most of us think we are more athletic on defense at more than maybe a couple positions but most of us feel that outside of cooper we will likely have the next 4 best wr's on the field. garrett johnson is the real deal and you'll know his name by games end. badet is back from injury and is possibly the 2nd or 3rd fastest guy on the team. dorian baker is a 6'3" 215# athletic freak that we never have at UK. blake bone makes every catch thrown his way and is tall. this isn't your usual UK wr corp.

also, jojo is kinda the 3rd string back this year. or at least he's co-2nd string. boom is the starter and he'll get 12 to 15 carries and get some passes out the backfield. horton is our power back and im expecting from what we've heard that he will get a bigger work load this week than many of us would of expected. jojo is gonna 5 to 10 carries and if he wants more he's gonna have to earn them by breaking off some runs.

our dt that is coming back isn't going to "shut down" your run game but what he does give us is a guy that played a lot of snaps last year back for depth instead of relying on rs soph with 20 snaps to his name. we will likely be really bad at lb'er and will play 2 true freshmen a lot. we have 1 olb'er out suspended and 1 ilb'er out hurt and both are starters.

to be fair i dont think most of us think we are more athletic on defense at more than maybe a couple positions but most of us feel that outside of cooper we will likely have the next 4 best wr's on the field. garrett johnson is the real deal and you'll know his name by games end. badet is back from injury and is possibly the 2nd or 3rd fastest guy on the team. dorian baker is a 6'3" 215# athletic freak that we never have at UK. blake bone makes every catch thrown his way and is tall. this isn't your usual UK wr corp.

also, jojo is kinda the 3rd string back this year. or at least he's co-2nd string. boom is the starter and he'll get 12 to 15 carries and get some passes out the backfield. horton is our power back and im expecting from what we've heard that he will get a bigger work load this week than many of us would of expected. jojo is gonna 5 to 10 carries and if he wants more he's gonna have to earn them by breaking off some runs.

our dt that is coming back isn't going to "shut down" your run game but what he does give us is a guy that played a lot of snaps last year back for depth instead of relying on rs soph with 20 snaps to his name. we will likely be really bad at lb'er and will play 2 true freshmen a lot. we have 1 olb'er out suspended and 1 ilb'er out hurt and both are starters.

thanks, good luck

Bottom line Kentucky can talk all the crap they want. They aren't the same team away from home. In fact, they have been horrendous. Last win in Columbia was 1999 correct? You beat us last year for what the
Second time in 14-15 years. Well, honestly we gave you the game. A mad Gamecock team and upset revenge minded Spurrier at home with the help of 78,000 plus is bad news for Kentucky. Kentucky is in for a rude awakening tomorrow night.

We stopped a high scoring team last week and we will tomorrow night . I think UNC has a better offense than KY
and u can bet Hoke has watched last years game. Good time to impress the boss.

I'm not extremely confident we will win, but I am confident you will change your mind on this opinion after the game.

When talking about special teams, you need to include our punter. We haven't had a punter like this in some time.

When talking about special teams, you need to include our punter. We haven't had a punter like this in some time.

I wasn't talking about special teams. I clearly referenced, "The better kicker statement" from the OP.

5 different services say we have the 1st team all SEC kicker on our side.

It's an interesting game, I don't think anyone really knows what to expect, Scar looked bad last week against a pretty poor UNC team who was one of the worst defenses in the P5 last season, and didn't get any better. UNC's offense was supposed to be solid, but their WR's are average and their QB play was terrible.

Connor Mitch was missing receivers by 7 yards at times last week.

UK didn't look much better. I do believe UK's offense is better, but I also think Scar can get pressure on Towles. UK's WR's are very talented, and while Scar has the best WR on the field in Cooper (who's a freak), I think UK has the next best 4 or 5 in Garret Johnson, Jeff Badet, Dorian Baker, Ryan Timmons, and Blake Bone. UNC had almost 500 yards of offense last week, granted they didn't get a lot of points, but I don't think Spurrier wants to depend on endzone turnovers either.

RB's I'm not so sure on, Both UK backs looked solid, and Jojo has his moments obviously but is always inconsistent, I don't look for any Wildcat from Jojo, and even if there is, I doubt it's effective, I'm sure the Scar players will be wanting to make up for last year when it comes to that.

Scar RB's looked very solid, blocking looked good at times, especially since they were pretty much forced to be one dimensional.

While UK did give up some second half yardage, that started when the backups and third teamers came in and ULL busted off some big plays.
ULL has been a very good team, and Hudspeth is a very good coach who will land a P5 job very soon. Their oline had 260 starts, and their #1 back is the returning conference offensive player of the year and will play on Sundays, hell his backup last year is playing for the Packers (backing up Lacy)

All that being said, its at WB, and if Scar can have any form of a passing game, I think they will win. If they're forced to be one dimensional, and Towles can have a little bit of accuracy, I think there's a good chance for the upset.

Weather looks iffy, I think a wet and nasty game plays into the favor of Scar.

Edit- Yes UK has a better kicker IMO, he was 1st team All-SEC last year as a freshman, although he had a couple misses in the first game. He is also capable of putting it through the endzone anytime he wants, although, he has the ability to kick it very high, and the staff likes those high kickoffs that land about the the 2 or a couple yards in, causing some hesitation and the height allows coverage to come down and make the tackle inside the 20. Personally I'd prefer they'd just kick it through the endzone every time but I'm not paid the big bucks.

I can understand the WR comments, but are UK fans really putting their RBs in the same stratosphere as SCs? That is ludicrous. Also, I think we have a field day against the UK defense. That dline is no where near as talented as last year and true freshman LBs vs. our running game does not bode well for UK.

Reactions: KDcats11
I can understand the WR comments, but are UK fans really putting their RBs in the same stratosphere as SCs? That is ludicrous. Also, I think we have a field day against the UK defense. That dline is no where near as talented as last year and true freshman LBs vs. our running game does not bode well for UK.

While their DL may not be as good as last year they do have big #90 at NG/DT and I believe Knott will need a lot of help with him. He's 332 lbs, outweighs Knott by 60 and looks very athletic for a player his size.. And when the rest of the UK D started looking tired and sluggish late in the game this kid just kept motoring and making plays.

Our interior OL has their work cut out for them.

UK's starters aren't freshman, Josh Forrest had 120 tackles last year, and is very good in coverage as well.

That being said, I think SCar can establish the run, but they aren't going to win 50-10 like I've seen some predictions if they're one dimensional.

yes, yes we are.

UK has the better Running Backs. Jojo is our 3rd string and would probably start for SC. Boom Williams as a true freshman last year tied for 1st in the SEC with 6.5 yards per carry.

As one of your own fans posted on your site "you defense can't stop a statue"........You haven't won on the road in 19 games and tonight will serve to move that to 20.....

Have a safe trip!

It's an interesting game, I don't think anyone really knows what to expect, Scar looked bad last week against a pretty poor UNC team who was one of the worst defenses in the P5 last season, and didn't get any better. UNC's offense was supposed to be solid, but their WR's are average and their QB play was terrible.

Connor Mitch was missing receivers by 7 yards at times last week.

UK didn't look much better. I do believe UK's offense is better, but I also think Scar can get pressure on Towles. UK's WR's are very talented, and while Scar has the best WR on the field in Cooper (who's a freak), I think UK has the next best 4 or 5 in Garret Johnson, Jeff Badet, Dorian Baker, Ryan Timmons, and Blake Bone. UNC had almost 500 yards of offense last week, granted they didn't get a lot of points, but I don't think Spurrier wants to depend on endzone turnovers either.

RB's I'm not so sure on, Both UK backs looked solid, and Jojo has his moments obviously but is always inconsistent, I don't look for any Wildcat from Jojo, and even if there is, I doubt it's effective, I'm sure the Scar players will be wanting to make up for last year when it comes to that.

Scar RB's looked very solid, blocking looked good at times, especially since they were pretty much forced to be one dimensional.

While UK did give up some second half yardage, that started when the backups and third teamers came in and ULL busted off some big plays.
ULL has been a very good team, and Hudspeth is a very good coach who will land a P5 job very soon. Their oline had 260 starts, and their #1 back is the returning conference offensive player of the year and will play on Sundays, hell his backup last year is playing for the Packers (backing up Lacy)

All that being said, its at WB, and if Scar can have any form of a passing game, I think they will win. If they're forced to be one dimensional, and Towles can have a little bit of accuracy, I think there's a good chance for the upset.

Weather looks iffy, I think a wet and nasty game plays into the favor of Scar.

Edit- Yes UK has a better kicker IMO, he was 1st team All-SEC last year as a freshman, although he had a couple misses in the first game. He is also capable of putting it through the endzone anytime he wants, although, he has the ability to kick it very high, and the staff likes those high kickoffs that land about the the 2 or a couple yards in, causing some hesitation and the height allows coverage to come down and make the tackle inside the 20. Personally I'd prefer they'd just kick it through the endzone every time but I'm not paid the big bucks.

So you're excuse for almost losing to ULL last week was that your personnel were all your 2nd and third string?

LMAO..

LOSS

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT