ADVERTISEMENT

Most memorable buzzer beaters USC mens basketball

rgamecock1

Apr 19, 2003
1. Has to be when Kevin Joyce outjumped Lee Dedmon to give USC the lead in the 1971 ACC basketball tournament in Greensboro. Frank told Kevin "Jump to the Moon". A lot of UNC fans still have not gotten over this.
2. Antonio Grant makes the buzzer beater against Cincinnati. Carolina came back from 23 points down to win this game. That was the only time in the game Carolina was in the lead.
3. Devan Downey. The buzzer beater he took in game against Kentucky gave Carolina the win that day in Lexington.
4. Florida several years ago when a player from USC took the rebound and threw it to a Carolina player racing down the court to lay it in for the win.
5. Florida last year when Myak Kotsar threw the length of the floor pass to Chris Silva to lay it in for the win against the Gators.
6. Cuisnard this past Wednesday against Kentucky ran the length of the floor and from the L in Colonial hit a three point shot to win against the Wildcats.

1. Has to be when Kevin Joyce outjumped Lee Dedmon to give USC the lead in the 1971 ACC basketball tournament in Greensboro. Frank told Kevin "Jump to the Moon". A lot of UNC fans still have not gotten over this.
2. Antonio Grant makes the buzzer beater against Cincinnati. Carolina came back from 23 points down to win this game. That was the only time in the game Carolina was in the lead.
3. Devan Downey. The buzzer beater he took in game against Kentucky gave Carolina the win that day in Lexington.
4. Florida several years ago when a player from USC took the rebound and threw it to a Carolina player racing down the court to lay it in for the win.
5. Florida last year when Myak Kotsar threw the length of the floor pass to Chris Silva to lay it in for the win against the Gators.
6. Cuisnard this past Wednesday against Kentucky ran the length of the floor and from the L in Colonial hit a three point shot to win against the Wildcats.
#4 was Zam Frederick I believe?
#3 I think should be ranked higher. Devan Downey has one of the best performances I’ve ever recalled by a Gamecock...I believe in both UK games.

#4 was Zam Frederick I believe?
#3 I think should be ranked higher. Devan Downey has one of the best performances I’ve ever recalled by a Gamecock...I believe in both UK games.
#3 was Mike Holmes to Zam Jr. That was an awesome pass and finish, but it was equally bad defense by Florida.

Reactions: NetworkX

All great memories. I was actually at the Antonio Grant 3 pointer at Carolina coliseum
Also Hasse threw the ball to Silva last year to best Florida not Kotsar.

Reactions: QC Cock and Gamekem

Reactions: Lakecock1
In the old Charlette tournament I remember George Feltons team making a layup to beat the tarholes. He was undefeated against smith.
That was the first game. I went the next night no tarhole would give up seats. At the tipoff of our game they booed got up and left. We would have sold the place out. Thus the name "tarholes"

Since I've been to virtually every home game for the last 38 seasons, I'll just include buzzer beaters I saw in person.

1. Antonio Grant 3 to beat Cincinnati, 67-65, in the 97-98 season. I chose this one first because it capped a 23 point comeback over a ranked team, plus we were a ranked team.

2. Jermaine Couisnard three to beat #10 Kentucky, 81-78, at the buzzer last week. This is number 2 because it was against the hated Kentucky Mildcats and in a game where we had a 14 point comeback in the second half.

3. Mike Holmes rebound thrown to a streaking Buck Fredrick for a layup to beat Florida in 2009, 70-69.

4. A Travis Kraft 3 at the buzzer to beat Florida, 69-68, in the 2000-2001 season, I think.

I'm going to add number 5, thanks to a reminder, below. It wasn't quite a buzzer beater, as there were a few seconds left, but Michael Glover hit a fast break layup to beat UNC at the 2nd Charlotte Coliseum, 76-74 in the 1990-91 season.

Last edited:
Since I've been to virtually every home game for the last 38 seasons, I'll just include buzzer beaters I saw in person.

1. Antonio Grant 3 to beat Cincinnati, 67-65, in the 97-98 season. I chose this one first because it capped a 23 point comeback over a ranked team, plus we were a ranked team.

2. Jermaine Couisnard three to beat #10 Kentucky, 81-78, at the buzzer last week. This is number 2 because it was against the hated Kentucky Mildcats and in a game where we had a 14 point comeback in the second half.

3. Mike Holmes rebound thrown to a streaking Buck Fredrick for a layup to beat Florida in 2009, 70-69.

4. A Travis Kraft 3 at the buzzer to beat Florida, 69-68, in the 2000-2001 season, I think.
Yes , the Travis Kraft shot doesnt get the love it should. I was at my in laws and screamed and scared the crap out of my wife and mother-in-law. Lol

Reactions: cockhornleghorn
In the old Charlette tournament I remember George Feltons team making a layup to beat the tarholes. He was undefeated against smith.
That was the first game. I went the next night no tarhole would give up seats. At the tipoff of our game they booed got up and left. We would have sold the place out. Thus the name "tarholes"
I was at that game; we beat Houston, 74-70 the next night to win the tournament.

Reactions: QC Cock
I'm going with the Grant buzzer beater against the Bear Cats. It was an unbelievable come back capped off by a shot that almost didn't happen. I think BJ was initially supposed to take that shot. He got doubled and he began to stumble. He was losing control of the ball and kind of just pushed it ahead to Grant who calmly turned and buried a 3. It was also the only time we had the lead in the entire game.

I am old school so i offer a couple of more:

1. Joyce to Owens for the ACC is obviously #1.

2. Joyce hit a jump shot from top of the key to beat Temple for us to advance in the NCAA playoffs.

3. Brian Winters from the top of the key to beat Marquette

4. Antonio Grant to beat Cincinnati

5. Roche to beat Auburn in the first game to open the Carolina Coliseum

Last edited:
Kevin Joyce last second corner jumper in NCAA tourney back in 1972 to beat St. John’s in the tourney. Trailed most of second half but Buzzer beater bailed us out.

I am old school so i offer a couple of more:

1. Joyce to Owens for the ACC is obviously #1.

2. Joyce hit a jump shot from top of the key to beat Temple for us to advance in the NCAA playoffs.

3. Brian Winters from the top of the key to beat Marquette

4. Antonio Grant to beat Cincinnati

5. Roche to beat Auburn in the first game to open the Carolina Coliseum

#3. 1st week of January, 1974. Sweet!!!

Cedric Hordges buzzer beater (maybe he really didn't beat the buzzer but it counted anyway) to save us from losing to SC State in 79 or 80 at the Coliseum.

John Roche to beat Auburn in the first game in the Carolina Colieseum.
My dad and I were there. If I recall, Roche's jumper bounced off the front of the rim, up against the backboard, then dropped in. Auburn had John Mengelt then, a great guard.

The Brian Winters shot to beat Marquette (Marquette was ranked 6th at the time) was beautiful. Winters got the ball with about 12 seconds to go and Marquette was playing man to man and you knew what was coming. McGuire's teams almost always had a guy that would take the last shot, they'd put the ball in his hands he'd dribble the clock down to 5-7 seconds and shoot. No elaborate plays being drawn up, everybody knew what was coming. There just weren't many teams that had guards that could stop Roche, Joyce or Winters one on one.

Um7fAMauMjU

How bout a few for the visitor’s side?
1) Brent Price Oklahoma, he taunted us damnit!
2)Elliot Perry Memphis State
3) George McCloud FSU
4) Rod Gardner’s push off, lol

Who was that guy that stayed hurt all the time but was a really good shooter that we put in for the last few seconds of the Florida game and he made a 3 to win the game?

2. Antonio Grant makes the buzzer-beater against Cincinnati. Carolina came back from 23 points down to win this game. That was the only time in the game Carolina was in the lead.
3. Devan Downey. The buzzer-beater he took in game against Kentucky gave Carolina the win that day in Lexington.
6. Couisnard this past Wednesday against Kentucky ran the length of the floor and from the L in Colonial hit a three-point shot to win against the Wildcats.

Kotsar wasn't the one who threw the pass. It was the Forward that transferred out recently, Felipe Haase, that threw that pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: funktavious

I'm going to add number 5, thanks to a reminder, below. It wasn't quite a buzzer beater, as there were a few seconds left, but Michael Glover hit a fast break layup to beat UNC at the 2nd Charlotte Coliseum, 76-74 in the 1990-91 season.
I was sitting right behind the bench for #1. That place went apesh#t..

The Brian Winters shot to beat Marquette (Marquette was ranked 6th at the time) was beautiful. Winters got the ball with about 12 seconds to go and Marquette was playing man to man and you knew what was coming. McGuire's teams almost always had a guy that would take the last shot, they'd put the ball in his hands he'd dribble the clock down to 5-7 seconds and shoot. No elaborate plays being drawn up, everybody knew what was coming. There just weren't many teams that had guards that could stop Roche, Joyce or Winters one on one.

That one was particularly satisfying after the fight & subsequent overtime loss to that bunch 2 seasons before this one. At about the 30 second mark in this Winters highlight clip!!

I was blessed to be in attendance for #2 and #6.
And, I think I was in attendance for #4. (Anybody remember the year?)

Number 4 for sure. It was a planed play between two Carolina players. Florida was at the foul line and they agreed that if Florida missed we would get ball and immediately throw it the length of the floor. Since it worked just like it was planned for the wining shot, I have to say it was the best ever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT