ADVERTISEMENT

Mourning the loss of a great Gamecock football tradition

winloseortie

Feb 21, 2007
columbia
For over 20 years we were unique in the CFB landscape. We got to go to spring practices and the first week of fall practice. Sadly it ended Spurrier's last year when construction of the new indoor facility just made it impossible for that year. Muschamp did not bring it back last year and it is safe to say, it ain't never coming back.

This is not a criticism of Muschamp. In the hyper competitive and paranoid world of college coaching I understand why I will never get to attend another practice, but still it makes me sad.

Both Holtz and Spurrier knew how to construct a practice where the fans got in but never really saw anything of game day importance. Fans were on one sideline and got to see up close stretching and warmup. Defense did individual drills on the field nearest the fans. Board drills were also done in front of the fans. Anything to do with offense, play calls, audibles, formation, and protections was on the far field out of earshot and the view was obstructed by the drills the D was doing.

But boy did we learn a lot and felt an increased connection to the players and program. Dads took their children to let them see up close their heroes. Lifelong fans were made out of those tykes even if we did have to cover their ears when Coach Lawing was running DL drills. He gave a master class in hand and foot work. Part of the reason we knew early that Deke Adams was going to be a bust was we had seen up close how and what Lawing taught.

Because we were there, we knew who the freshmen were before anyone else. We knew who was in shape, and who wasn't. We saw the naturals and the ones who were grinding. Who had a temper, who was a leader. We knew who showed up to practice and nervously awaited the explanations of why players were absent. Hell if you were friendly and polite the GCC staff might even share a secret with you.

I remember vividly at the end of a particularly tough practice the team was running gassers. On the last one John Abraham summoned everything he had left and just smoked his group. He was feeling good until Brad Lawing literally charged at him screaming, "YOU LAZY SOB, THE ONLY REASON YOU WON THAT ONE WAS BECAUSE YOU EFFING LOAFED ON THE FIRST THREE! DAMMIT ABRAHAM IF YOU ARE GOING TO LEAD THIS TEAM AND PLAY IN THE NFL YOU GOTTA RUN EVERY TIME NOT JUST ONCE!"
He then made John run three more gassers right then. Lesson learned.
I miss going to practice.......

Practice is not the fans business. They should never be given access.
Fans at practice sometimes could be a distraction and the root of some harmful rumors. Some fan watching didn't like the way the staff "talked" to the players and all hell breaks loose in the media. It's football practice not a museum and besides after the first 45 mins. it's like watching paint dry.

Fans at practice sometimes could be a distraction and the root of some harmful rumors. Some fan watching didn't like the way the staff "talked" to the players and all hell breaks loose in the media. It's football practice not a museum and besides after the first 45 mins. it's like watching paint dry.

This^^^^^^^

If you want to watch practice, then go to the Spring Game...

I used to occasionally go to practices during the Morrison days. I remember the line coach kicking one of his linemen right in the butt while he was down in his three point stance and yelling at him, "You will not give me the red dog ass". It was funny as hell. I would just wander around on the field in the middle of practice and no one seemed to notice or care.

I used to occasionally go to practices during the Morrison days. I remember the line coach kicking one of his linemen right in the butt while he was down in his three point stance and yelling at him, "You will not give me the red dog ass". It was funny as hell. I would just wander around on the field in the middle of practice and no one seemed to notice or care.

Our linemen over the last couple years would have wore that coaches kicking leg out

Back when it was fun. I miss these days. Stories like these don't happen much anymore.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Let's start a new tradition at practice. Each player has a 1 on 1 with D J Swearinger until their nuts drop.

We need to get tougher forget fans watching
Can't think of DJ without the image of a spinning Clemson player in my head. Not a Skins fan but hope he has a good season.

For over 20 years we were unique in the CFB landscape. We got to go to spring practices and the first week of fall practice. Sadly it ended Spurrier's last year when construction of the new indoor facility just made it impossible for that year. Muschamp did not bring it back last year and it is safe to say, it ain't never coming back.

This is not a criticism of Muschamp. In the hyper competitive and paranoid world of college coaching I understand why I will never get to attend another practice, but still it makes me sad.

Both Holtz and Spurrier knew how to construct a practice where the fans got in but never really saw anything of game day importance. Fans were on one sideline and got to see up close stretching and warmup. Defense did individual drills on the field nearest the fans. Board drills were also done in front of the fans. Anything to do with offense, play calls, audibles, formation, and protections was on the far field out of earshot and the view was obstructed by the drills the D was doing.

But boy did we learn a lot and felt an increased connection to the players and program. Dads took their children to let them see up close their heroes. Lifelong fans were made out of those tykes even if we did have to cover their ears when Coach Lawing was running DL drills. He gave a master class in hand and foot work. Part of the reason we knew early that Deke Adams was going to be a bust was we had seen up close how and what Lawing taught.

Because we were there, we knew who the freshmen were before anyone else. We knew who was in shape, and who wasn't. We saw the naturals and the ones who were grinding. Who had a temper, who was a leader. We knew who showed up to practice and nervously awaited the explanations of why players were absent. Hell if you were friendly and polite the GCC staff might even share a secret with you.

I remember vividly at the end of a particularly tough practice the team was running gassers. On the last one John Abraham summoned everything he had left and just smoked his group. He was feeling good until Brad Lawing literally charged at him screaming, "YOU LAZY SOB, THE ONLY REASON YOU WON THAT ONE WAS BECAUSE YOU EFFING LOAFED ON THE FIRST THREE! DAMMIT ABRAHAM IF YOU ARE GOING TO LEAD THIS TEAM AND PLAY IN THE NFL YOU GOTTA RUN EVERY TIME NOT JUST ONCE!"
He then made John run three more gassers right then. Lesson learned.
I miss going to practice.......
Hated practices in high School--damn sure not gonna watch one.

giphy.gif

The open practices were fun- a great way to get the fans excited about the upcoming season, get to know the players and coaches better and get some GD football in my life during the worst time for sports of the whole year! Some of you need to stop whining- sound like a buncha football hating sissies!

Yeah, give 'em a gut punch, too! That's the ticket!

Really didn't mean it disrespectful at all. I enjoyed the access teams gave in the 80s that they rarely give today. Heck, Joe Morrison had no problem lighting a smoke on game day in the middle of the second quarter back in the day.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
The open practices were fun- a great way to get the fans excited about the upcoming season, get to know the players and coaches better and get some GD football in my life during the worst time for sports of the whole year! Some of you need to stop whining- sound like a buncha football hating sissies!
I didn't attack you so don't attack me. If it's your thing, go for it.

It was cool how everyone backed trucks up to the fence and stood in the bed so they could see. Anybody got a pic? Remember seeing a few cool ones of tons of trucks lined up when Spurrier first got here

Fans still claim the same inside info and
Look at all the distractions and harmful rumors so called fans make on this board everyday. An increase in harmful rumors caused by open practices compared o the daily BS posted here would be statistically insignificant.

I loved the open practices and the interviews afterwards. I looked forward to it each day but then I would see a young player drop a pass or get yelled at by a coach and it would be blown all out of proportion in the State paper or the classless radio station in Columbia. That didn't help the younger players,and we have really have a lot of them this year, it could have done a lot of damage their confidence. The best thing for me is open practices but the best thing for the team is closed practices I think

I didn't attack you so don't attack me. If it's your thing, go for it.
Maybe I'm wrong but I saw this post as being in support of your OP. BTW, I get the point of your post. Although I've never been to an open practice, I know what "tradition" is......and it's generally sad when it ends.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT