ADVERTISEMENT

Moved my daughter into Sims today!

Lived in Snowden 77-80. Loved Big Bird across street. Little pizza place next door had a killer calzone. That and a drink for less than $2.50. My how times have changed.
The big bird, I would go have a sub and a few beers for lunch between classes there. I think it was Busch but it was like a buck. Honeycombs were great with the design in that you could smoke outside of the dorm room in the honeycomb. I barely recognize Columbia anymore.

The big bird, I would go have a sub and a few beers for lunch between classes there. I think it was Busch but it was like a buck. Honeycombs were great with the design in that you could smoke outside of the dorm room in the honeycomb. I barely recognize Columbia anymore.

I don't recognize it either. When I read how Coker Life Science bldg needs to be torn down, I remember it was one of the campus gems when I was there. Took Biology 110 there with Dr. David Husband who pioneered self-paced learning by creating a lab where you went to listen to his lectures on reel-to-reel tapes in cubicles. You listened on head phones, took notes, and could rewind the tape with a foot pedal if needed to hear something repeated. I would have never made a A in the class by listening to live lectures because I would have missed so much important stuff. We only had a few live classes to take tests. All of this was well before cell phones, and the WWW. He was an amazing professor.

McBride Quad 76 - 82. Graduated in 81. I actually lived in frat house after graduation while I worked for a semester at Computer Services across from Sumter St. garage. The quad was actually part of the USC housing system but they didn't check or care who lived there. Times have changed.
I remember the few times it snowed and cars driving between the honeycombs and the quad got clobbered. And yes, Big Bird was my go to for dinner. However we loved to walk down to the Mayfair Grill for meat and three lunch. A guy named Clyde owned the place and he was an uncle of one of my frat brothers. I can hear my friend with his Charleston geeche accent now "let's go da grill".
Good times.

In '77, there was a sub shop (Sammy's) on Assembly St. on the corner of the Holiday Inn which later became the Sheraton if I recall. The university bought it for a dorm at some point. Anyway, do any of you remember Sammy's? He had the most amazing pastrami sandwiches, and $1.50-$1.75 pitchers of beer. We used to hit Sammy's before basketball games at the Coloseum. Good times.
I sure do. We used to walk over to Sammy's from the law school for lunch. We would eat sandwiches and play the old-fashioned pinball machines. No beer, though. We couldn't afford to sleep through afternoon classes. That's not to say that we wouldn't walk across Devine to the Downstairs Plaza for a pitcher or more at the end of the day. Usually on Thursdays, for some reason. A couple of professors used to join us. Bill Quirk was a frequent attendee. He was a genuinely nice man, even if he did teach corporate tax, a truly arcane subject.

I don't recognize it either. When I read how Coker Life Science bldg needs to be torn down, I remember it was one of the campus gems when I was there. Took Biology 110 there with Dr. David Husband who pioneered self-paced learning by creating a lab where you went to listen to his lectures on reel-to-reel tapes in cubicles. You listened on head phones, took notes, and could rewind the tape with a foot pedal if needed to hear something repeated. I would have never made a A in the class by listening to live lectures because I would have missed so much important stuff. We only had a few live classes to take tests. All of this was well before cell phones, and the WWW. He was an amazing professor.

I had that class as well! Interesting concept for 1971.

GOCOCKS! BEATNCSTATE!

My wife and I moved my daughter into her dorm room today! Very proud that she is attending my alma mater and that she is starting her BioMedical Engineering studies soon. She's there early because it is Sorority rush week or something. We saw a bunch of excited Freshman down there today ---what a great time in their lives. GO GAMECOCKS!

Hope she treasures every day. We know how fast it can go.

GOCOCKS! BEATNCSTATE!

I drove by the honeycombs as they were being demolished and paid a Mexican worker $10 to fetch me two veil blocks.

I'm proud to tell my grandkids that I once lived in the dorm where the blocks came from.

If those blocks could only talk.

My wife and I moved my daughter into her dorm room today! Very proud that she is attending my alma mater and that she is starting her BioMedical Engineering studies soon. She's there early because it is Sorority rush week or something. We saw a bunch of excited Freshman down there today ---what a great time in their lives. GO GAMECOCKS!

My two sons were such disappointments to me. Both graduated from UT. I can barely look them in the eye these days.:)

In 1977, the drinking age was 18, and every hall was allocated $xxx.00 for 1 party per semester. Our 2nd party (spring semester), we put up flyers all over the campus. As expected turnout was overwhelming, and we went through 5 kegs in record time. We took up a collection 3 times, and went to the 5 Points beer shop (can't recall the name) to buy 5 more kegs each time. 20 kegs later, the party was still going on at 3 AM. Was the best one I attended at USC, and I went to quite a few. They started phasing out hall parties by my Jr. year.

Ahh.........the good ole days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT