ADVERTISEMENT

Muschamp took decreased buyout

Accepted $12.9 million as a lump sum paid out by the end of last year instead of $15.3 million paid out monthly over the life of the contract.

We saved a little cash and he got all his money up front.

I am not sure there is any saving when you account for PVs. For example $1000 today is the same as $1050 one year from now at a 5% annualized interest rate.

I am not sure there is any saving when you account for PVs. For example $1000 today is the same as $1050 one year from now at a 5% annualized interest rate.

Yeah, he obviously came out ahead on the deal. Not sure why we agreed to it. I assume the University has financial people who decided it was worthwhile.

Reactions: cadcock
Yeah, he obviously came out ahead on the deal. Not sure why we agreed to it. I assume the University has financial people who decided it was worthwhile.

No Dibble. I am not sure if he came out ahead. Depends on the discount rate (opportunity cost). The payments are staggered, so you have to see what the discount rate was. If I have the exact structure of the staggered payments to Muschamp, I can provide a very accurate answer as to whether Muschamp or USC came out ahead.

No Dibble. I am not sure if he came out ahead. Depends on the discount rate (opportunity cost). The payments are staggered, so you have to see what the discount rate was. If I have the exact structure of the staggered payments to Muschamp, I can provide a very accurate answer as to whether Muschamp or USC came out ahead.
We are giving the mofo 13 million for freaking failing bad. And that's not the issue. The issue is he left the program at the very bottom. So he 100% made out. Doesn't matter if it's paid now or later. Giving him a dollar is a slap in the face to every gamecock fan.

Huge tax bill for him this year. I’m sure it’s pretty much a wash for both sides with the PV calculation.

Personally, I would have taken it spaced out over the remainder of the contract term. But, maybe he is planning on a major purchase and needed the cash upfront.

We are giving the mofo 13 million for freaking failing bad. And that's not the issue. The issue is he left the program at the very bottom. So he 100% made out. Doesn't matter if it's paid now or later. Giving him a dollar is a slap in the face to every gamecock fan.

The thing that bugs me almost as much as the money, and in reality it's not nearly as important as the money, is he didn't write a letter to the fans of the university thanking them for the opportunity to coach at USC.

Muschamp took us to the cleaners, the dog, and didn't even say thank you.

Last edited:
The thing that bugs me almost as the money, and in reality it's not nearly as important as the money, is he didn't write a letter to the fans of the university thanking them for the opportunity to coach at the university.

Who cares about a letter from Muchamp? We should have had Tanner personally deliver the check to Champ in Athens and then cleaned out Ray's office while he was gone.

Since the University offers a BS at the Darla Moore School for Business Administration with majors in Accounting and Finance, I'm sure someone ran the numbers. Now with all the uncertainty in our economy and considering current Money Market rates and CD's rates, if someone is guaranteeing 5%, where do I sign up?

The thing that bugs me almost as the money, and in reality it's not nearly as important as the money, is he didn't write a letter to the fans of the university thanking them for the opportunity to coach at the university.

Let me pose this question to everyone out there who has had their home broken into or their car stolen: did the criminal leave a thank you note? In addition to not leaving a note, I don't think many hang around to say what a beautiful home you have or compliment you on how well you maintained the car they boosted.

It was a costly lesson in contract extensions for Ray to learn with our money. I am still baffled by why someone with such a mediocre performance and with a background of failed head coaching was given such a big buyout?

I know it is a dead horse but which school was coming after Chump? Who wanted to hire him away? Hell, Albarn would not even take him back. Why are there no consequences for this AD fail?

Muschamp dislikes fans. He never considered who he actually worked for (at the end of the day).

It was a costly lesson in contract extensions for Ray to learn with our money. I am still baffled by why someone with such a mediocre performance and with a background of failed head coaching was given such a big buyout?

I know it is a dead horse but which school was coming after Chump? Who wanted to hire him away? Hell, Albarn would not even take him back. Why are there no consequences for this AD fail?
Great question, why are there no consequences? What will it take to bring in an AD with the same qualifications as Tenn. new AD hire?

Great move ,now we dont have to here everyday game or everytime you see his sorry ass on tv etc we still are paying ,owe him, etc. No ties at all to are program. Hopefully will sell muschamp island and move the hell out of our state. Dam crook. Talked about never going down a road of paying players and goes with a team that's been talked about doing the same bs as Tennessee, funny all Tennessee s players are transferring to Georgia now. Guess they are handing out pizza hut boxes of money there

I still don't understand why Mooch would want to coach again. Him and his family are set for life unless he leads a Mike Tyson lifestyle.

Reactions: 92Pony
The university was probably looking at buying an annuity to pay Muschamp the contract amount and close the book on that accounting in 2020. The cost for the annuity was probably what they offered him as a lump sum.
(like when you win the lottery, you can choose to take a lesser amount via lump sum, or take payments over many years).
So from the university's perspective, it was a wash.

Regardless, it's good that he's gone. He showed no appreciation for anything he was given and took no responsibility for any of his mistakes. He's a classless jackass... a classless jackass who conned the university out of millions. What's amazing is that his enabler Ray Tanner is still employed.

Since the University offers a BS at the Darla Moore School for Business Administration with majors in Accounting and Finance, I'm sure someone ran the numbers. Now with all the uncertainty in our economy and considering current Money Market rates and CD's rates, if someone is guaranteeing 5%, where do I sign up?

Try the stock markets. Invest in the indexes like RUA, RMCC, and RUT and look at the long run. S&P index is also good (TISPX). There are ETFs and Mutual funds that track these indexes. Try like a horizon of 10 years. You might be looking at more than a 10% annualized return. The small cap indexes carry higher risk. On the other hand given the composition of the indexes they are diversified across industry sectors. Think about your propensity to take a little more risk - risk aversion level.

Free advice, free to ignore. There are no guarantees in life but there are probabilities. The only guarantee in life is death, taxes, and political squabbling and I find squabbling is now a near-sport.

Last edited:
Reactions: howard13
Try the stock markets. Invest in the indexes like RUA, RMCC, and RUT and look at the long run. S&P index is also good (TISPX). There are ETFs and Mutual funds that track these indexes. Try like a horizon of 10 years. You might be looking at more than a 10% annualized return. The small cap indexes carry higher risk. On the other hand given the composition of the indexes they are diversified across industry sectors. Think about your propensity to take a little more risk - risk aversion level.

Free advice, free to ignore. There are no guarantees in life but there are probabilities. The only guarantee in life is death, taxes, and political squabbling and I find squabbling is now a near-sport.
I appreciate your comments. I have almost died twice in the last few years (Double Pneumonia & Hep A)
Praying for the vaccine because if I catch Covid-19 it's going to be "Dead Man Working". Turning 68 this year so there are only so many years left. Political Squabbling: Lincoln had it right. That is my one almost "political statement" Taxes? LOL: I'm a CPA. Investing: Annual Risk Assessment completed. I have my account with Charles Schwab and the account is handled by an outside third-party investment group. My strongest asset:
50 years in the adult world. That is why I enjoy Gamecock Central and my fellow members like yourself but I don't take sports as seriously as I once did. Thank you again for taking the time to reach out

So who has learned that lesson? I have lost count of how many schools throw $$ at head coaches and now assistants. Remember Fulmer at UT getting a big extension and then being fired a year later. Then the brain trust at UT hired him back as the AD. How did that work out for them?

I appreciate your comments. I have almost died twice in the last few years (Double Pneumonia & Hep A)
Praying for the vaccine because if I catch Covid-19 it's going to be "Dead Man Working". Turning 68 this year so there are only so many years left. Political Squabbling: Lincoln had it right. That is my one almost "political statement" Taxes? LOL: I'm a CPA. Investing: Annual Risk Assessment completed. I have my account with Charles Schwab and the account is handled by an outside third-party investment group. My strongest asset:
50 years in the adult world. That is why I enjoy Gamecock Central and my fellow members like yourself but I don't take sports as seriously as I once did. Thank you again for taking the time to reach out

Take care Carl. I hope you get that vaccine soon.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Let me pose this question to everyone out there who has had their home broken into or their car stolen: did the criminal leave a thank you note? In addition to not leaving a note, I don't think many hang around to say what a beautiful home you have or compliment you on how well you maintained the car they boosted.

But business and actual stealing/robbing or two different things. The remainder of the contract Muschamp was paid was legal. At least a nice thank you would have been nice. Also, most respectable coaches do that these days, e.g., Gus and Mason.

Stay well and safe. I'm 67 but I haven't almost died. Still, I hope we get enough of the vaccine soon so people our age can get it.

Haha. University financial people, definitely the crème de la crème!

Just look at the buyout clauses for the coaches, and no doubt we have the best!

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

I will take the buyout. Cash now was a smart move by him.

I hope he lose a huge chunk of it to taxes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT