ADVERTISEMENT

Muschamp vs the keyboard cowards/second guessers who never achieved anything:

bigsirspur

Nov 12, 2012
Teddy Roosevelt:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Teddy Roosevelt:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
Teddy led the Rough Riders on the charge up San Juan Hill. He finished a speech after being shot. He explorered the Amazon River. He was president. He was one of the biggest, baddest people to ever walk the Earth.

Will Muschamp didn't strive valiantly in a nobel cause. He is a lousy football coach that got a second opportunity and blew it while making tens of millions of dollars.

I have to say, I'm guilty of being more critical of Muschamp than I probably should have; did he make some poor coaching decisions? Sure. Did he leave our program in about the same shape he inherited it? You can also make that argument; however, I don't think anyone can say he didn't give it his all. He came up short, and that's a hard pill to swallow. The players loved him, and many people have said he is a genuinely good guy who looked out for his players and his peers. I wish he had more success here, but it wasn't meant to be. I don't feel bad for him financially--he will be fine--but I do hate the situation for him. A lot of people get fired, but not a lot of people have to deal with the news being nationally broadcast, and further, not many people deal with the vitriol (of which I am admittedly guilty) of the college football fanbase. I really hope he lands on his feet and gets a solid Coordinator job somewhere. Heck, I wouldn't even be disappointed if he went to TENN and their defense destroyed us next year. Not many of us get the chance for that sort of redemption either. Plus, I think even if we hired Nick Saban, we're in for a few tough years before success.

Perhaps some of us have achieved greatly.

Perhaps some of us admire Teddy Roosevelt.

Perhaps co-opting Teddy's words over a failed, overpaid, overweight football coach was a poor choice.

Perhaps the OP is related to Will Muschamp?

I would be proud to be a member of his family. Guy is reputedly one of the hardest working, most caring man around. Only a complete loser/low achiever would be so low as to criticize the man for his weight. He made a big difference for a lot of young men. Have you? In all honesty, will people be saying these things about you at a low point in your career:

Teddy Roosevelt:

What is this, survivor's guilt? Muschamp pushed our program off a cliff.

Muschamp doesnt need anybody's tears. I'm sure he's not crying this morning. He has made millions of dollars (and will continue making millions of dollars) coaching at the highest level of the sport. This is not little league and every coach at this level knows that. Get results or move on - that's the rule. The compensation for that kind of stress and expectation is millions of dollars. It is what it is. Muschamp will never have to work a day in his life if he doesnt want to.

Will Muschamp did not try to fail. Some very good, hard-working, talented people just aren’t cut out to be a head football coach, especially in the SEC. I believe he gave it his best for the players, the program, the university and yes, the fans. Ultimately, he failed, not from not giving a damn, not from not caring, not from not making an effort. He simply wasn’t the right guy, at the right time, for this program. I wish he had been. I wish him well, and I think he’ll land on his feet somewhere. Muschamp has his faults and limitations, as we all do, but he did his best, and there’s no shame in that.

Let me be the first in this thread to tell you to piss off. I couldn’t care less whether or not you’re related to Muschamp, he did a woefully inadequate job and he was fired, end of story. If he was a positive impact on his players, that’s great. But life coach is an actual profession, and it doesn’t pay millions per year. He was making big money to win games.

I’ve achieved an engineering degree, a medical doctorate along with a prestigious residency. Nothing has been given to me without me earning it. I can expect the same of others, especially when our money pays them. If I got terminated tomorrow, I wouldn’t be owed a dime. My life is performance based every day. If I fail to perform, I’m gone. Why should a coach who promises wins not be expected to produce?

Teddy Roosevelt:

Let me guess, you've achieved worldly success only us keyboard warriors could dream about in our moms basement?

not judging some of the hatred towards Boom But...wow .. .it’s not Booms fault he was hired. I’m sure he tried his best. Sometimes that is not good enough but he’s still human and positively impacted many players.
Good luck to him wherever he lands.
"It's not Boom's fault he was hired"? Really? Did he not interview for the job? Are we not the "Eskimos" he sold ice water to? May be a nice guy, but sorry, he is not a head football coach. It's pretty bad when I can watch a team play and tell you they are poorly coached. Remember the Tennessee game? The coaches lost that game due to poor preparation.

"It's not Boom's fault he was hired"? Really? Did he not interview for the job? Are we not the "Eskimos" he sold ice water to? May be a nice guy, but sorry, he is not a head football coach. It's pretty bad when I can watch a team play and tell you they are poorly coached. Remember the Tennessee game? The coaches lost that game due to poor preparation.
I don’t blame Muschamp for any of this. I really do believe he thinks he has the ability to be a HC regardless of the results from both attempts now. I don’t think he went into this thinking he would fail but he just doesn’t have what it takes on this level. This is on Tanner for “ending up with him” in 2015 and then giving the extension when there was no threat of him leaving.

Last edited:
The truth is tough. Yes, Muschamp braved the arena but was soundly defeated. Not sorry the sword was spared.

I’ve achieved an engineering degree, a medical doctorate along with a prestigious residency. Nothing has been given to me without me earning it. I can expect the same of others, especially when our money pays them. If I got terminated tomorrow, I wouldn’t be owed a dime. My life is performance based every day. If I fail to perform, I’m gone. Why should a coach who promises wins not be expected to produce?
While I quite agree in principle, the contact says differently and the Contract Governs.
Sexton flimflammed Tanner plain and simple.
And USC is the Loser Now!

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
While I quite agree in principle, the contact says differently and the Contract Governs.
Sexton flimflammed Tanner plain and simple.
And USC is the Loser Now!
Oh, there’s no question about that, I agree completely. You honor agreements when made. My comments were addressing the OP stating that we are all underachievers with a keyboard. The topic you bring up is different. Muschamp should get what he agreed to, however if he had a moral bone in his body, he would turn it down because he know’s he didn’t follow through with his end of the bargin.

Reactions: cocknjax
Oh, there’s no question about that, I agree completely. You honor agreements when made. My comments were addressing the OP stating that we are all underachievers with a keyboard. The topic you bring up is different. Muschamp should get what he agreed to, however if he had a moral bone in his body, he would turn it down because he know’s he didn’t follow through with his end of the bargin.
And I agree that Muschamp is an ass. He should refund all the money his agent flimflammed Ray Tanner/USC for, but it will never happen. I’ll bet Sexton makes a killing on his commissions from Muss/USC. Maybe a penny or two of all that goes to charity somehow, but I would bet not.

not judging some of the hatred towards Boom But...wow .. .it’s not Booms fault he was hired. I’m sure he tried his best. Sometimes that is not good enough but he’s still human and positively impacted many players.
Good luck to him wherever he lands.

I have to agree. It is not Muschamp’s fault he was hired. Very true. The culprit is still at large.

And I agree that Muschamp is an ass. He should refund all the money his agent flimflammed Ray Tanner/USC for, but it will never happen. I’ll bet Sexton makes a killing on his commissions from Muss/USC. Maybe a penny or two of all that goes to charity somehow, but I would bet not.
Idiotic comment. He does not owe a dime we paid him back. The man worked his ass off to try to win here, he was not successful enough and paid for it with his job. That is how it works and your moronic blustering about him giving money back or “ripping us off” by signing the contract he was offered is beyond stupid.

Last edited:
I would be proud to be a member of his family. Guy is reputedly one of the hardest working, most caring man around. Only a complete loser/low achiever would be so low as to criticize the man for his weight. He made a big difference for a lot of young men. Have you? In all honesty, will people be saying these things about you at a low point in your career:
I wouldn't be proud to be in his family. Any coach that lets Scar bail him out against Mizzou and then doesn't give him a snap in the bowl, Akron, or his final Clemson game is a POS as far as I am concerned. All seniors should get snaps on SR day and the Clemson game. Dude's trash. Glad he's gone.

Idiotic comment. He does not owe a dime we paid him back. The man worked his ass off to try to win here, he was bot successful enough and paid for it with his job. That is how it works and your moronic blustering about him giving money back or “ripping us off” by signing the contract he was offered is beyond stupid.
Did you study reading comprehension!?
I said Musse’ s AGENT Ripped Ray Tanner! OFF.
And he did, he flimflammed Ray and USC into that ridiculous buyout contract to the tune of some nine million Dollars. I never said Muss ripped Anybody off, stupid,
I said Sexton, his agent did. And he did. Nine Million Dollars worth!

And he did, he flimflammed Ray and USC into that ridiculous buyout contract to the tune of some nine million Dollars. I never said Muss ripped Anybody off, stupid,

They did rip off USC with that huge buyout, and Tanner should be removed for agreeing to it (and for other reasons).

Also, does anyone know what the real buyout amount is ? This post says $9 million. Many have been saying on here for weeks that it was $13 million. I read one story in the media last night that stated it was $15 million. What is the true number ???

So negotiating the best terms for your client is a flim flam? You expected the agent to tell the AD already employing the coach (and who just took us from dumpster fire to bowl eligible and then to 9 wins) that his client is a fraud? Seriously, this is embarrassing. Please tell us that you didn't graduate from USC.

So negotiating the best terms for your client is a flim flam? You expected the agent to tell the AD already employing the coach (and who just took us from dumpster fire to bowl eligible and then to 9 wins) that his client is a fraud? Seriously, this is embarrassing. Please tell us that you didn't graduate from USC.
I never stated that negotiating the best terms for a client was a film flam. I stated that Sexton flimflammed Tanner on Musses BuyOut to the tune of some Nine Million Dollars, which he did. I never stated that I graduated from USC, either, although I did have my freshman year Plus 121 semester hours from USC via USAFI, as I joined the US Navy after my Freshman year due to the Korean War. I was tapped for attending the US Naval Academy but declined because I would have had to ship over for Six years. I agreed to four years but the Navy required 6. None of this matters a tinkers damn regarding Muschamps Losing Record at USC. He is a fine man but a Loser as a football coach. Facts are facts.

Reactions: jackrabbit slim
I'm sure Boom is a fine person and I admire you for standing up for him. However, he was hired to win. We have lost 14 out of our last 20 games. In no way should a man making $84k a week retain his position with such a terrible record, especially in the best conference in the country. He had to go. Period.

PS- instead of attacking someone's education because they disagree with you, try rewarding their common sense in this situation.

Idiotic comment. He does not owe a dime we paid him back. The man worked his ass off to try to win here, he was bot successful enough and paid for it with his job. That is how it works and your moronic blustering about him giving money back or “ripping us off” by signing the contract he was offered is beyond stupid.

Teddy would have dumped Muschamp long before we did.

A man making 5mil a year and not delivering on what he promised to the Eskimos is likely not what he had in mind when he penned that one.

In contrast, Alex Honnold comes to mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I wasn't a huge muschamp critic but he needed to go. That said, I was a bit sad to see him fired. He gave us everything he had but he simply didn't have what it takes.

He had all the money he needed before he was let go. I'm sure if he had the choice, $13M or work for free and be successful, it would be an easy choice.

Let's avoid kicking him while he's down.

Reactions: SCexpat38
Teddy Roosevelt:

I held out hope he was on the verge until the TAMU game. I felt totally hopeless after that one. I wish him the best because he seems like a man that loves the game, loves his players, and is passionate. But after 5 years, we can't continue to give up 500-700 yards in numerous games. Unacceptable

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT