ADVERTISEMENT

Muschamps words on Luke Doty

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
earlier in the season when asked why he wasn’t playing receiver much.
Paraphrasing here...” with COVID our biggest priority is having a QB room with guys ready to go”
Well Saturday night he had a great opportunity to play a backup. If for anything to help encourage them to give a damn in practice. Yes I know Doty “ran” one play. We aren’t getting up on anyone left on the schedule by a wide enough margin to get backups in so that was a precious opportunity lost.

Well...with our defense the other team is going to get the opportunity to go up big on us. The opportunity to play the other QB's still might come and as soon as TAM in 2 weeks. Their QB is going to shred our punks.

Muschamp is terrified of a qb controversy if a qb went in and did anything at all people would wonder why won’t we see more. And his whole thing is being so high on his own evaluations, a QB change mid season is basically saying their evaluations were wrong

It takes a man to admit they made a mistake. I still think our best chance for the future is to get either Doty/RH3 reps. Saturday night was the perfect opportunity. Similar to the Belk bowl, we could've gotten Dak reps, but stuck with Bentley in the 28-0 beatdown.

Muschamp is terrified of a qb controversy if a qb went in and did anything at all people would wonder why won’t we see more. And his whole thing is being so high on his own evaluations, a QB change mid season is basically saying their evaluations were wrong

I remember with The OBC would unapologetically play two QB’s every game. He didn’t care one bit about a controversy. I am not suggesting that approach, but giving someone else a shot just to see couldn’t hurt.

While this makes sense I’m not sure if you aren’t giving Muschamp too much credit. I haven’t seen or heard anything from him to make me think he has that kind of ability to think ahead on what might happen with a change. I just don’t think he’s flexible enough to consider that a change could create a spark. He has a game plan and he’s going to follow it whether it works or not.

Reactions: bdblack
This times 1000 gents. Muschamp is incapable of making a decision related to QB play. I'm convinced now Joyner may have been a great QB at South Carolina but the longer he didn't play ("Jake's our quarterback") the more risky it became to Muschamp to let him play. If Joyner comes out and lights it up- Muschamp looks like a fool and that can't happen. That's why Muschamp can't manage a D1 football program; he can't learn, he can't make course corrections, he can't be proven wrong, he can't fold a terrible hand, and he never trusts the kids nor gives them a chance to win. No excuse to not let Doty play a few series on Saturday- or even Hilinski. Hill's not the reason we lost (we lost because of defense and Muschamps little protege T-Rob sucks- but that's a different story).

We're stuck with him for another year but we really need Bobo to start making smart relevant decisions related to offense. Bobo has made a difference so far.

T-Rob should be fired today. He's the Roper of the defense.

This times 1000 gents. Muschamp is incapable of making a decision related to QB play. I'm convinced now Joyner may have been a great QB at South Carolina but the longer he didn't play ("Jake's our quarterback") the more risky it became to Muschamp to let him play. If Joyner comes out and lights it up- Muschamp looks like a fool and that can't happen. That's why Muschamp can't manage a D1 football program; he can't learn, he can't make course corrections, he can't be proven wrong, he can't fold a terrible hand, and he never trusts the kids nor gives them a chance to win. No excuse to not let Doty play a few series on Saturday- or even Hilinski. Hill's not the reason we lost (we lost because of defense and Muschamps little protege T-Rob sucks- but that's a different story).

We're stuck with him for another year but we really need Bobo to start making smart relevant decisions related to offense. Bobo has made a difference so far.

T-Rob should be fired today. He's the Roper of the defense.
Last year would have been the time to give Joyner more of a shot. I have never figured out the desire to replace Bentley. In three years he ended up 4th all time in passing yards, 3rd in TDs and 2nd in completion percentage. Very few schools are pulling a guy who is in the process of making their way through the schools record books. I realize even Shaw went through this with Thompson but it didn’t make a lot of sense then either.

Last edited:
Failure to play another qb in fourth quarter is inexcusable. Hurts player development and team morale
Not surprised as we seen this inability of Muschamp to be a game day coach and make changes as needed. Same could be said for defense game plan against LSU
Agree 100%. Who doesn’t play a back up QB when the game is long over, (if for no other reasons as you mention)? Muschamp that’s who— don’t understand his coaching tactics at all.

Agree 100%. Who doesn’t play a back up QB when the game is long over, (if for no other reasons as you mention)? Muschamp that’s who— don’t understand his coaching tactics at all.
His eyes are in the headlights. He couldn't see a tractor trailer coming at him 90 MPH,
He is stubborn as hell but much stupider.
I have never seen a more incompetent football coach in my life.
And I have seen all of then since ‘45.

B/c he is a shit coach. Instead of giving players some game experience, to further their development. He is more worried about making the score look closer, even when we don't have a chance at a comeback.

Anybody still beating the Joyner drum loses all credibility, at least in my book. Reading between the lines, he has trouble running pass routes. If that's the case, how can anybody expect him to read and pass against SEC defenses. I think he was given every chance and just hasn't lived up to his billing. There's a reason nobody else would tell him he had a chance to play QB.

Hilinski is the one who has every right to be hacked off. He played hurt almost all year last year and then they replaced him with a guy who can barely put one foot in front of the other.

Anybody still beating the Joyner drum loses all credibility, at least in my book. Reading between the lines, he has trouble running pass routes. If that's the case, how can anybody expect him to read and pass against SEC defenses. I think he was given every chance and just hasn't lived up to his billing. There's a reason nobody else would tell him he had a chance to play QB.

Hilinski is the one who has every right to be hacked off. He played hurt almost all year last year and then they replaced him with a guy who can barely put one foot in front of the other.
You and me both. Joyner was overhyped. The same could be true of Doty.

Yep, the staff shit all over that young man. He should already be in the Xfr portal. All the way across country to be shat upon!
By incompetent losers.

Cool here is how we would actually know that, give the player a chance when the one infront of his isn’t getting it done, everything else is all just conjecture.

could you have been right? Sure. Could a Muschamp staff very poorly evaluate a qb? Very likely. There have been qbs that have escaped the Muschamp qb abyss and go on to do well.

we don’t know and that’s the problem

he doesn’t give the backups any chance and that’s the problem

Well...with our defense the other team is going to get the opportunity to go up big on us. The opportunity to play the other QB's still might come and as soon as TAM in 2 weeks. Their QB is going to shred our punks.
Our ”punks”. A good word to describe our trash talking, in your face, undisciplined player (s). Of course that type of player will be defended by some saying theyre just having fun, they’re kids, no harm no foul. You know what else, “ no class”, “loser”.

Michael Scarnecchia.....that was shameful.

What Champ did to Scar was awful. Not just in a football sense, just in the sense of how one human being should treat another.

Scar bided his time, content to be the backup and help the team prepare. Champ NEVER gave him a shot to get even mop-up or garbage time duty, though there were opportunities. Finally, when Jake was injured and Champ had no choice left, he put Scar in to start against Mizzou. Much to all our surprise, he played quite well and got us the win in a critical game. How did Champ respond? He exiled him. If I recall correctly, he got a couple garbage snaps against UTC and that was it. Champ didn't even let him sniff the field in the totally meaningless game against Akron, which was his final home game as a senior. A game in which Jake was piss poor. The culmination was leaving him sit on the bench for the duration of the Belk Bowl while Jake stunk up the field. He was TERRIBLE in that game. It was only 14-0 at halftime, so we still had a chance to do something.

Up until the MIzzou game the assumption was that Bentley was just head and shoulders our best QB and the Scar simply wasn't good enough. But the cat was out of the bag after the Mizzou game. Scar could play. Well enough to win us against a Mizzou team that went 8-4. So even though we knew we had a more-than-capable QB sitting on the bench, Champ absolutely refused to put him in.

He chose losing in humiliating fashion in the Belk Bowl over replacing Bentley and at least giving us a fighting chance.

How this coach continues to receive interest from QB's of any ability is beyond me!

It’s all or nothing. If you think you can somehow get anointed as “his guy” in August, then you know he will stick with you for the rest of the year with no pressure of being replaced, short of injury.

Reactions: Dizzy01
What Champ did to Scar was awful. Not just in a football sense, just in the sense of how one human being should treat another.

Scar bided his time, content to be the backup and help the team prepare. Champ NEVER gave him a shot to get even mop-up or garbage time duty, though there were opportunities. Finally, when Jake was injured and Champ had no choice left, he put Scar in to start against Mizzou. Much to all our surprise, he played quite well and got us the win in a critical game. How did Champ respond? He exiled him. If I recall correctly, he got a couple garbage snaps against UTC and that was it. Champ didn't even let him sniff the field in the totally meaningless game against Akron, which was his final home game as a senior. A game in which Jake was piss poor. The culmination was leaving him sit on the bench for the duration of the Belk Bowl while Jake stunk up the field. He was TERRIBLE in that game. It was only 14-0 at halftime, so we still had a chance to do something.

Up until the MIzzou game the assumption was that Bentley was just head and shoulders our best QB and the Scar simply wasn't good enough. But the cat was out of the bag after the Mizzou game. Scar could play. Well enough to win us against a Mizzou team that went 8-4. So even though we knew we had a more-than-capable QB sitting on the bench, Champ absolutely refused to put him in.

He chose losing in humiliating fashion in the Belk Bowl over replacing Bentley and at least giving us a fighting chance.
A+ post! Where was the media on this? He should have been asked this repeatedly and been forced to explain why Scar never saw the field again. Especially in the Belk Bowl and v Akron. Ridiculous! This right here proves Muschamp can't judge QB talent and cannot adjust or course correct during a game.

Someone also said if Muschamp was the coach - Shaw would be a receiver- that's not quite right- Muschamp would have Shaw on the bench as a backup receiver!

Still don't get why some are saying Joyner could never be a QB. According to who? Muschamp? He did win us the Georgia game in OT and made a couple of clutch throws. There was huge upside to Joyner being our QB, including leadership and mobility. I guess we'll never know. I did see the guy break off a long TD v Vandy with one of his only touches? He can't be that bad- or worse than Jake on one of his bad days.

This is all so aggravating for me but imagine the frustration the kids must feel?

Let's fire T-Rob, hire a real DC, give Muschamp some puzzles to do, and maybe we can win a few games.

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
A+ post! Where was the media on this? He should have been asked this repeatedly and been forced to explain why Scar never saw the field again. Especially in the Belk Bowl and v Akron. Ridiculous! This right here proves Muschamp can't judge QB talent and cannot adjust or course correct during a game.

Someone also said if Muschamp was the coach - Shaw would be a receiver- that's not quite right- Muschamp would have Shaw on the bench as a backup receiver!

Still don't get why some are saying Joyner could never be a QB. According to who? Muschamp? He did win us the Georgia game in OT and made a couple of clutch throws. There was huge upside to Joyner being our QB, including leadership and mobility. I guess we'll never know. I did see the guy break off a long TD v Vandy with one of his only touches? He can't be that bad- or worse than Jake on one of his bad days.

This is all so aggravating for me but imagine the frustration the kids must feel?

Let's fire T-Rob, hire a real DC, give Muschamp some puzzles to do, and maybe we can win a few games.
The same people that claim Joyner couldn’t play qb base it off of what the coaches say, also are upset that Hillinski is not playing because the coaches say he isn’t ready.

Joyner could have been a bust sure, but there was plenty of times where he could have got a shot, not to mention he was injured during that time as well

Reactions: ken in sacramento

This x 1000. People say Muskrat is a good guy...no, he's not. Far from it. You at least let the Senior play a few snaps against Akron. It is inexcusable. He should have been fired for that. Dude's a damn bum. I literally despise the man.

When players leave the program in big numbers, maybe it will dawn on Tanner that Muskys gotta go!

What little bit I saw Joyner play to include the spring games, his QB skills (especially throwing) are lacking. He wouldn't see playing time at any other power 5 school at the QB position and that's probably why he hasn't transferred. However, with his ability to run I do believe he should have the ball in his hands more.

Reactions: hillstosea
This x 1000. People say Muskrat is a good guy...no, he's not. Far from it. You at least let the Senior play a few snaps against Akron. It is inexcusable. He should have been fired for that. Dude's a damn bum. I literally despise the man.
I really think you hit on something there!
I agree!
He is a damn stumblebum!

When players leave the program in big numbers, maybe it will dawn on Tanner that Muskys gotta go!

I doubt it. For all of his faults, Muschamp‘s players seem to love him. i doubt we will have any unusual number of transfers that would indicate dissension in the program.

I remember with The OBC would unapologetically play two QB’s every game. He didn’t care one bit about a controversy. I am not suggesting that approach, but giving someone else a shot just to see couldn’t hurt.
Champ doesn’t think fast enough to make decisions like OBC did! In fact Champ doesn’t think
fast enough to be a head coach!!!!!!Sick

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
What little bit I saw Joyner play to include the spring games, his QB skills (especially throwing) are lacking. He wouldn't see playing time at any other power 5 school at the QB position and that's probably why he hasn't transferred. However, with his ability to run I do believe he should have the ball in his hands more.

Dak was a great HS QB, on a team that had more talent than their opponents.

However, as you pointed out, that doesn’t necessarily transmit to success after you move up several levels and find out that everyone else is bigger, faster, and more athletic.

Some guys can make the jump, others can’t.

Dak looked very good at the HS level. He doesn’t look quite as quick and athletic at this level. They’re looking for ways to get the ball in his hands, but as WR he needs to get open. If you focus on him he appears to have difficulty getting separation.

Bruce Ellington played QB in HS, had a very successful switch to WR here. Difference I believe, is his basketball experience helped him with footwork and separating from defenders.

ADVERTISEMENT