ADVERTISEMENT

Muschump rated SEC coach most likely to be fired by ESPN

This is the worst group of WRs we've had since joining the SEC. Our RBs are below average as well as our offensive line. Average at QB, it’s gonna be a long year. If we can somehow win 4 games, Tanner won't fire him.

Sorry unfortunately I think this is by far the least talented offensive squad we’ve had in decades . 3 converted QBs playing WR ?? Literally zero playmakers across the board . Now defensively we are very talented but that talented defense still can’t stop anybody . Admire your enthusiasm my friend but I just don’t see it . I think the next few years are gonna be brutal . I do agree that he’s safe as Fort Knox regardless of what happens . We love excuses around here . Always next year .
Ditto!

This is the worst group of WRs we've had since joining the SEC. Our RBs are below average as well as our offensive line. Average at QB, it’s gonna be a long year. If we can somehow win 4 games, Tanner won't fire him.

The bad coaching, 4-8 season, and the poor and uneven recruiting are all coming to roost.

He's always had talented players. The team that lost to GA So was loaded with NFL talent. Talent has never been his issue. It's properly using the talent on the field where he's failed.
He's not had the talent across the board you will see in 2021 and 2022 if we stay healthy and our recruits stay committed.

But wait these are Muschamp’s guys. Hasn’t he been recruiting better than Spurrier? Could have sworn that’s what I’ve heard.

While the debate continues, talent vs no talent under CWM here at USC, I'm just going to put this out here. Make of this what you will

Since 11/10/2018 USC has gone 6-11. Of those wins, 4 include the following. Chattanooga, Akron, Charleston Southern and Vanderbilt.

Not gonna happen with Tanner around.. some one didn't do their homework

National exposure like this is a positive. There's nowhere to run or hide now. He might get a pass this abbreviated year, but the double-talk from both of those guys is finally over.

I would not waste energy worrying about firing Muschamp this year. As others have pointed out, there will be no money for a new head coach. IMO, Muschamp could go 2-8 this year and still be back next year. I will only be upset if RT gives him another contract extension. That would be incredibly stupid, but based on past history.....

Reactions: Zann77
I would not waste energy worrying about firing Muschamp this year. As others have pointed out, there will be no money for a new head coach. IMO, Muschamp could go 2-8 this year and still be back next year. I will only be upset if RT gives him another contract extension. That would be incredibly stupid, but based on past history.....

I've seen extensions given in really odd situations before. I could see an extension while quietly lowering the buyout.

A lack of extension cuts the coach off at the knees as far as recruiting, so give it, lower the buyout, and it's basically a "last chance" scenario.

Reactions: 92Pony
I've seen extensions given in really odd situations before. I could see an extension while quietly lowering the buyout.

A lack of extension cuts the coach off at the knees as far as recruiting, so give it, lower the buyout, and it's basically a "last chance" scenario.
I understand your point, but it would need to be a significant buy out cut.

I am not a muschamp fan but I would give him this year and next. I would not count this year against him because quite frankly with Covid who knows what players will be ready on game day for any team and what games get cancelled or postponed. I would not be surprised if we beat good teams or lost to bad ones. We could play GA and they have Covid hit and we have better game day players and the next week we have a Covid hit and don’t have a game day team to beat Vandy.
Remember that, if we manage to go 10-0 or 9-1 and win the conference he should equally not get credit if you won't fault him for a bad year. It's his team. It's a pandemic. EVERYONE in the world is dealing with the same issues. Why should he get a pass for a bad showing this year? He won't be fired because of financial obligations, but he's totally responsible for the success or failure of the season.

Remember that, if we manage to go 10-0 or 9-1 and win the conference he should equally not get credit if you won't fault him for a bad year. It's his team. It's a pandemic. EVERYONE in the world is dealing with the same issues. Why should he get a pass for a bad showing this year? He won't be fired because of financial obligations, but he's totally responsible for the success or failure of the season.
I would not give him an extension either. 10-0 or 0-10. This year is going to be off. He could get lucky and all the teams we play have bad Covid outbreaks and he wins. I would not give him credit for it. To be honest, I wish we never hired him. I think he is terrible. My point is this year is going to be messed up. Next year though he better win or he should get the boot

I dont get the thinking that we wont fire him because of finances if we have another losing season. Whether we fire him or not he still gets paid... so what's the difference? We gonna put a loser out there because we have to pay him? Man that dont sound right. Personally, I'd rather see an interim on the sideline for a whole year if necessary than a guy whose chances should be up.

I dont get the thinking that we wont fire him because of finances if we have another losing season. Whether we fire him or not he still gets paid... so what's the difference? We gonna put a loser out there because we have to pay him? Man that dont sound right. Personally, I'd rather see an interim on the sideline for a whole year if necessary than a guy whose chances should be up.
We pay him for firing him AND we have to pay another coach. The idea is we can't afford to double dip like that right now. Sure we have to pay him either way, but we don't have to pay him and someone else if we keep him, particularly when the purse strings are pulled exceptionally tight due to the pandemic.

Reactions: bucketdad
In my 38 years UofSC has never had the culture that puts an emphasis on excelling in football. H/C is not a demanding job like it is at UGA or Auburn or FL, etc
bill-murray-bachelor-party-speech.gif

We pay him for firing him AND we have to pay another coach. The idea is we can't afford to double dip like that right now. Sure we have to pay him either way, but we don't have to pay him and someone else if we keep him, particularly when the purse strings are pulled exceptionally tight due to the pandemic.
So lets not double dip. Maybe im being too simplistic. Worse case, promote from within without much of a pay increase with an agreement to be considered in the future. Can that be any worse than having a lame duck on the sideline for another year? Id argue it would be better. Hate to use the taters as an example, but there it is.

COVID is giving every coach a pass this year. Texas certainly would have fired Shaka Smart but for COVID. Basketball coaches may get a pass for 2 yrs.

COVID is giving every coach a pass this year. Texas certainly would have fired Shaka Smart but for COVID. Basketball coaches may get a pass for 2 yrs.
That's probably the case for the most part. Not all that comforting to think we could possibly be looking for a coach at a time a ton of schools are... with a lot of failed coaches in the mix. We haven't exactly been on the cutting edge in those situations.

I agree the AD is so bad 'chump will never get the boot.

But damn if the writing isn't on the wall. He's good at recruting, that's about it. The guy can't even buy a house the correct way, buys some poorly made McMansion on a man made "island" in a dumpy lake that is bordered on two sides by a highway....what kind of fool buys that junk?

If I told you the person that bought that dump of a house was same guy struggling to beat teams like La Tech, UNC and the Citadel, would you believe me? Can't make this stuff up.

Reactions: SOSUSC

But damn if the writing isn't on the wall. He's good at recruting, that's about it. The guy can't even buy a house the correct way, buys some poorly made McMansion on a man made "island" in a dumpy lake that is bordered on two sides by a highway....what kind of fool buys that junk?

If I told you the person that bought that dump of a house was same guy struggling to beat teams like La Tech, UNC and the Citadel, would you believe me? Can't make this stuff up.

lotta talk from someone in detroit. lake st claire aint no peach. how do you know the house was poorly made? it’s been there for over 20 years. it’s a raised peninsula reinforced by riprap. how can that be insulting to you? did his chimney fall off or something?

Actually you know what, you’re not even using the term McMansion correctly. That is not a McMansion. I think you’re just a troll.

For every get rid of Muschamp thread there should be three fire Ray Tanner ones. That is where we have to start and this should be done sooner than later! I pray Tanner didn't put a buyout in his own contract.

Reactions: trekcock and SOSUSC
So lets not double dip. Maybe im being too simplistic. Worse case, promote from within without much of a pay increase with an agreement to be considered in the future. Can that be any worse than having a lame duck on the sideline for another year? Id argue it would be better. Hate to use the taters as an example, but there it is.
I can't think of anyone on the staff worthy of such a promotion. I'd rather bring back Shawn Elliott and pay him 1 million a year (with incentives) on a 4 year deal. Then if he wins we renegotiate.

Reactions: 92Pony and SOSUSC
I can't think of anyone on the staff worthy of such a promotion. I'd rather bring back Shawn Elliott and pay him 1 million a year (with incentives) on a 4 year deal. Then if he wins we renegotiate.
I dont know enough about the current staff to suggest a specific one. Kinda sad that I would think any one of them would be an improvement, but i kinda do. That said, I'd be thrilled to pick up Elliot with those conditions.

If -- IF -- we were to do this, you'd have to think that we would give it to Bobo because "he has HC experience (though losing experience)" and "he knows the SEC." Like that really matters. And then of there were any semblance of improvement, he would be given the permanent position.

I say if we decide to move on at the end of the season, we should completely cut bait.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
I dont know enough about the current staff to suggest a specific one. Kinda sad that I would think any one of them would be an improvement, but i kinda do. That said, I'd be thrilled to pick up Elliot with those conditions.
I've got to admit, I don't understand the love affair some our fans have with Elliott. Not calling you out. But he is 17-26 over all as a head coach. He went 1-5 here with a loss to the Citadel.

Why settle for something like that? We have to do better.

Reactions: PC31 and SOSUSC
I've got to admit, I don't understand the love affair some our fans have with Elliott. Not calling you out. But he is 17-26 over all as a head coach. He went 1-5 here with a loss to the Citadel.

The general consensus of the board seems to be we would not hire a perminant coach because of finances. My arguement was basically a change would be better than no change. Options would be pretty low to make a change outside of in-house... with the possible exception of Elliot I would guess. I'd be fine with Bobo for the time being if we got to that point. I'd be thrilled to get him on an interum basis with something like his current salary plus X amount of dollars for wins.

The general consensus of the board seems to be we would not hire a perminant coach because of finances. My arguement was basically a change would be better than no change. Options would be pretty low to make a change outside of in-house... with the possible exception of Elliot I would guess. I'd be fine with Bobo for the time being if we got to that point. I'd be thrilled to get him on an interum basis with something like his current salary plus X amount of dollars for wins.
I get that. But even though I'm not a fan of hiring Bobo either, I would rather have him as HC on an interim basis than Elliott. If we did convince him to leave Ga State, you know it would have to be with at least a handshake agreement that he would be given the full-time gig. Otherwise, why leave a sure thing?

No thanks, for me.

Reactions: bucketdad

He went 1-5 with a team that had their HC walk out on them in the middle of the season. He’s also led Georgia State to their only two winning seasons in school history including their first bowl victory. Plus he’s actually managed to have a winning season with his players as opposed to what we’ve witnessed with Muschamp.

I don’t know that he would have been the answer here but Muschamp isn’t it either. I think for most people they rather take a shot on someone with potential rather than seeing the constant flailing of a retread that couldn’t win at Florida.

He went 1-5 with a team that had their HC walk out on them in the middle of the season. He’s also led Georgia State to their only two winning seasons in school history including their first bowl victory. Plus he’s actually managed to have a winning season with his players as opposed to what we’ve witnessed with Muschamp.

I don’t know that he would have been the answer here but Muschamp isn’t it either. I think for most people they rather take a shot on someone with potential rather than seeing the constant flailing of a retread that couldn’t win at Florida.
I'm in full agreement that Muschamp is not the answer. I am just totally not sold on Elliot being here as an interim. As I said in my other post, I think we would end up getting stuck with him if he had even an inkling of success. We both know Ray would take the easy way out if given half the chance.

Reactions: Dizzy01
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT