ADVERTISEMENT

Music: Overrated / Underrated

If I am to keep up the Spinal Tap theme from the greatest artists list-
Overrated- Sex Farm
Underrated- Big Bottom
Let’s be real who doesn’t like big bottom- that one slaps! ;)

I typically cringe as I peruse threads such as this on FGF forum, and this one is no different. Outside of a few discerning posters with decent taste, this is yet another thread demonstrating most of our posters view a night at Applebee's as "fine dining."
Hello? Come on tell what kind of music you like? It's ok we won't make fun of you.

Hello? Come on tell what kind of music you like? It's ok we won't make fun of you.

I don't care if you make fun of me or my music. I'm secure in my tastes. The music I love is quite varied. Of the music I've listened to over long periods of time, they range from old Motorhead (1gen) to everything by QOTSA. I love the bands that emerged from punk to shape musical revolutions. Bands like Killing Joke hatched industrial. Minor Threat gave us so many great bands. One off projects like Pailhead influenced so many.

There are so many talented singer-songwriters, too, that I could write about, from Jimmie Rodgers to Emmylou Harris.

So much great music.

Reactions: Carolina4
I don't care if you make fun of me or my music. I'm secure in my tastes. The music I love is quite varied. Of the music I've listened to over long periods of time, they range from old Motorhead (1gen) to everything by QOTSA. I love the bands that emerged from punk to shape musical revolutions. Bands like Killing Joke hatched industrial. Minor Threat gave us so many great bands. One off projects like Pailhead influenced so many.

There are so many talented singer-songwriters, too, that I could write about, from Jimmie Rodgers to Emmylou Harris.

So much great music.
Glad to see I am not the only way eclectic music listener/fan and snob around these parts! :) I have always prided myself in being able to pull out at very minimum, two or three dozen bands that whoever I am playing them for have never heard of them, and end up going out buying their stuff.
Its like every music thread that pops up, you can pretty much count on the same ole, boring, used up drivel being posted again and again and again. That being said, some of the retreads posted - particularly in this thread - have their place, just because of the nature/title of the thread....

Reactions: Chanticleer37

So much great music.
Ok, good.

Reactions: Chanticleer37
He is one of those “I only like their old stuff that was recorded in a garage with a Cassio keyboard on their iphone mic” kind of music snobs who thinks music has to suck to be good. I got my worst rounds of this with Kings of Leon... I had never heard of them until “Sex is on Fire” came out but that whole album is the $hit!! I told my buddy that because he is a big Kings fan and he lit me up “no- “”Aha Shake Heartbreak”” was their best album we used to listen to it before they were popular, it was recorded in a basement studio and..” it SOUNDS LIKE IT. It is still good! I went back and listened to their old stuff... but tastes are subjective and half of what draws us to music is the nostalgia of what it connects us to. I can hear a TERRIBLE song but if I used to hear it at the club when I was partying with friends or chilling on the lake during a lazy summer when we had no stress and just had fun the whole time, the song reminds me of that and I can still enjoy it. So- music snobs are some of the most obnoxious of the snobbery crowd. As Jeff said- participate, tell us what YOU like... or STFU and move on. Nobody thinks you are cooler if you just show up and tell everyone “your taste in music is garbage mine is elite” but you are too much of a pansy to tell us what your opinion of good music is.

He is one of those “I only like their old stuff that was recorded in a garage with a Cassio keyboard on their iphone mic” kind of music snobs who thinks music has to suck to be good. I got my worst rounds of this with Kings of Leon... I had never heard of them until “Sex is on Fire” came out but that whole album is the $hit!! I told my buddy that because he is a big Kings fan and he lit me up “no- “”Aha Shake Heartbreak”” was their best album we used to listen to it before they were popular, it was recorded in a basement studio and..” it SOUNDS LIKE IT. It is still good! I went back and listened to their old stuff... but tastes are subjective and half of what draws us to music is the nostalgia of what it connects us to. I can hear a TERRIBLE song but if I used to hear it at the club when I was partying with friends or chilling on the lake during a lazy summer when we had no stress and just had fun the whole time, the song reminds me of that and I can still enjoy it. So- music snobs are some of the most obnoxious of the snobbery crowd. As Jeff said- participate, tell us what YOU like... or STFU and move on. Nobody thinks you are cooler if you just show up and tell everyone “your taste in music is garbage mine is elite” but you are too much of a pansy to tell us what your opinion of good music is.

I did tell you. Several posts before.

Kings of Leon? They're far from underground (they're pre-programmed mainstream) and I completely agree with your assessment.

Just a random music thought, but anyone else love the sound track on the last dance? Someone should get an award for that imho, very well done.

Just a random music thought, but anyone else love the sound track on the last dance? Someone should get an award for that imho, very well done.

Peter Burns kept saying the same thing. I didn’t really notice but fans of 90’s hip hop would’ve loved it I’m sure. That was just never really my genre. But seems to be many that felt it was really well-done.

Reactions: Gradstudent
Eagles
Hotel California....maybe THE most overrated song of all time.
Take it Easy....underrated. Love the crossover blend.

Glad to see I am not the only way eclectic music listener/fan and snob around these parts! :) I have always prided myself in being able to pull out at very minimum, two or three dozen bands that whoever I am playing them for have never heard of them, and end up going out buying their stuff.
Its like every music thread that pops up, you can pretty much count on the same ole, boring, used up drivel being posted again and again and again. That being said, some of the retreads posted - particularly in this thread - have their place, just because of the nature/title of the thread....
No reason to be so hard on some posters. Most people mainly listen to what's on the radio and/or popular and that's the extent of it.
Some of us are musicophiles and audiophiles and delve much deeper into the music. I've been around and playing music since before my teen years, and have always been interested in discovering new and obscure artists.
Unless you're going to tell me Air Supply is a great band, I'm willing to just let most everything else slide.

Reactions: adversary2
No reason to be so hard on some posters. Most people mainly listen to what's on the radio and/or popular and that's the extent of it.
Some of us are musicophiles and audiophiles and delve much deeper into the music. I've been around and playing music since before my teen years, and have always been interested in discovering new and obscure artists.
Unless you're going to tell me Air Supply is a great band, I'm willing to just let most everything else slide.

There is a rule: if one starts a music thread, pretentious posters must post. It's a rule, and it's inscribed in granite. It wouldn't be a music thread without...

Also, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Def Leppard, Poison, Bush, Toby Keith, Kenny Chesney, Matchbox 20 (UGH!), Boyz II Men etc. are the equivalent of James Patterson books (authored by some other poor schmuck.) It's nothing more than mass-produced, Olive Garden drivel lapped up by the unknowing all in the name of corporate greed and profit. The music biz, especially from the 70s - present is no different.

I think you touched on it at the end, but it's an overrated/underrated list. In order to play along that the music needs to have been "rated" in the first place. It can't be obscure or people will have no context or connection.

Maybe you can make a "I guarantee you've never heard of these two or three dozen bands" thread. I'm sure people will enjoy hearing some new stuff. Also, I'm sure people will also know many of them and can then discuss their mutual admiration.

Reactions: AsTheCockCrows
There is a rule: if one starts a music thread, pretentious posters must post. It's a rule, and it's inscribed in granite. It wouldn't be a music thread without...

Also, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Def Leppard, Poison, Bush, Toby Keith, Kenny Chesney, Matchbox 20 (UGH!), Boyz II Men etc. are the equivalent of James Patterson books (authored by some other poor schmuck.) It's nothing more than mass-produced, Olive Garden drivel lapped up by the unknowing all in the name of corporate greed and profit. The music biz, especially from the 70s - present is no different.
I get it, you're one of these
p25039_v_v8_aa.jpg

Reactions: Legendary Cock

I would agree with most, except for Matchbox 20, although since I used to know those guys, there is that connection too. I think they write GREAT pop songs. Def Lep - their first 2 albums were great and they have had a handful of good songs since Pyromania, but not many. Other than that handful of songs, I have not listened to anything they have done since Adrenalize in 92.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT