ADVERTISEMENT

Music: Overrated / Underrated

Carolina4

Oct 9, 2006
Name a band / musician. List their most “overrated” song and most “underrated” song.

I’ll go first...

Metallica:
Overrated - Enter Sandman
Underrated: Fade to Black

both great. Enter Sandman is classic, but it’s likely the only Metallica song many out there know who aren’t fans of this genre.

Last edited:
Here’s another...Journey:

Overrated: Don’t Stop Believin’
Underrated: Wheel in the Sky

Both good songs. The first just kind of got annoyingly popular by Karaoke Bars or something.

Reactions: jeff2001
Overrated: Eagles Hotel California. I hate that song and never understood why people seem to like it so much.

Underrated: Queen Another One Bites The Dust. I think it's a well liked song anyway, but still underrated.

Reactions: SCexpat38
Overrated: Eagles Hotel California. I hate that song and never understood why people seem to like it so much.

Underrated: Queen Another One Bites The Dust. I think it's a well liked song anyway, but still underrated.

Wow Hotel is an absolute masterpiece. Very surprised but to each his own . From a musical point of view the stuff going on it that song is absolutely mind blowing . Hey different strokes for different folks .

For me most overrated : Don’t stop Believing (hate that song with every fiber of my being)

Most underrated : Over the Hills and Far away . To me that song optimizes everything magical about Zeppelin.

Here’s another one I’m torn about : Freebird .

Growing up I adored that song . After gigging for half my adult life it now drives me nuts . If I had a dollar for every time some drunk asshole screamed “FREEBIRD” at me during a set I would have a beach house in Hilton head . I literally came seconds away from bludgeoning a guy to death with a Telecaster one night over this . If it was mine I probably would have . Now I’ve learned to appreciate it for what it is ... a great song . Most of the morons screaming this in the bar probably don’t even know who wrote it .

Weezer

overrated- Africa

underrated- The World has Turned and Left Me Here

Some are missing the intention of this thread.

The artist for each song is supposed to be the same artist.

Def Leppard
Overrated =pour some sugar on me
Underrated = Women

Elton John

Overrated: Benny and the Jets
Underrated: I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues

Toby Keith

Overrated: I Love This Bar
Underrated: Should’ve Been a Cowboy

Totally agree also. Underrated =Blue eyes

Elton has so many great songs. I love his 90’s hits as I grew up listening to them. He’s one of the few artists I can still put on an album and listen all the way through.

Levon & Yellow Brick Road are underrated as well, though they seem to get more attention now.

Toby Keith

Overrated: I Love This Bar
Underrated: Should’ve Been a Cowboy
Dear God, I hate "I love this bar". Talk about a lazy, boring, token country song? I bet it took him 2 minutes to write the whole thing. All the way to the token rednecks singing in the background at the end of the song.

Dear God, I hate "I love this bar". Talk about a lazy, boring, token country song? I bet it took him 2 minutes to write the whole thing. All the way to the token rednecks singing in the background at the end of the song.

I’m not crazy about it myself. Though I prefer it to Red Solo Cup. Actually think Toby Keith is pretty good...hard to believe he sings those two cash grabs.

Elton has so many great songs. I love his 90’s hits as I grew up listening to them. He’s one of the few artists I can still put on an album and listen all the way through.

Levon & Yellow Brick Road are underrated as well, though they seem to get more attention now.
We were supposed to see Elton Friday night at the Conial Center.

We were supposed to see Elton Friday night at the Conial Center.

ive seen him. It’s not the best concert I’ve been too but it’s the one where I was in awe the most. Every song is great. Does a few that are out there but the effects are awesome. Hopefully he’ll be healthy enough in the future to make up those dates.

The end of the Farewell Tour shows is pretty emotional. Of course this is like his 5th Farewell Tour.

Reactions: Dizzy01
Janes Addiction
Overrated - Been Caught Stealing
Underrated - 3 days
Journey
Overrated - Open Arms
Underrated - Edge of the Blade
U2
Overrated - Beautiful Day
Underrated - Running to Stand Still

Oops sorry ok..

Overrated : Sweet Home Alabama

Underrated : Tuesday’s gone
I would also add to the underrated list:
1. The Needle and the Spoon
2. On the Hunt

But it seems like all I ever hear in the radio is Freebird, Sweet Home Alabama and Tuesday's Gone. All good songs, but I'm just tired of them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT