ADVERTISEMENT

MY QUESTIONS TO ALL THE TATERS THAT VISIT OUR BOARD....

Cocky4SC

Dec 2, 2014
Spartanburg SC
I am seeing all the hype and spin that EVERY Tater is posting on here about how this is their national championship year.... Watson is the savior of college football..... there team is better than last years.... never-mind losing almost their whole starting D and most of their OL.... blah blah blah....

My question is simple: What will you do or say when your season ends up 10-2,9-3, or 8-4 and don't get into the playoffs? Better yet- what if you don't make it to your conference championship game or and if you do, you don't win it.... how will this be spun?

I am seeing all the hype and spin that EVERY Tater is posting on here about how this is their national championship year.... Watson is the savior of college football..... there team is better than last years.... never-mind losing almost their whole starting D and most of their OL.... blah blah blah....

My question is simple: What will you do or say when your season ends up 10-2,9-3, or 8-4 and don't get into the playoffs? Better yet- what if you don't make it to your conference championship game or and if you do, you don't win it.... how will this be spun?

Personally.. I've said before,, and I still think now that next year would be the year for us to really make a NC run... Deshaun as a junior with talent all around him. OL with a year of experience. Same with the Defense. This year will take some work. OL has to gel. Dline has to gel. I'm not worried about the starting D line because they have a great deal of experience and are super talented.. What I am worried about the D line.. is the depth. Last year we had a solid second rotation that kept both rotations well rested. Secondary is going to be lights out... Deshaun has to stay healthy. If those things happen it very well could be a special year. I don't see FSU having nearly the type of season they've had in the past 2-3 seasons. ND scares me.. NCSU at their place always scares me a bit. GT at home is always a completely different game at Death Valley than in ATL. I think we take care of business there. Louisiville on the road will be a challenge but I think if we take their best punch to start the game we pull away. The rivalry game with you guys speaks for itself... No matter what the records,, it will always be a hard fought game.. With that being said.. I don't think we will be any worse than 9-3 at absolute worst barring a DW injury. How will it be spun?? If we've lost that many games.. Team just didn't execute and do what was necessary to win the important games.. That's about all you can say...

Rouge, all you say is true compared to all your ACC member teams, but everything you boast about having , so does Carolina and nearly every team in the SEC not to mention the big 10, PAC 12 and the BIG 12. Clemson is one of the biggest fish in the ACC pond but not better than or as good as many of the programs in the other power conferences. I know, some of the Clemson mindset is to go undefeated in the relatively soft ACC and land in the playoffs but the easy path you may have will also play a part in thwarting any chance you would ever have making the playoffs. I come not in anger but am trying to show some reality in the madness that has become the Clemson nation after one year of relative success. You have recruited a great QB prospect, one or two linemen and some potentially great receivers but that's about it. Look at the recruits every year that the programs you hope to be one day get and you begin to see some of the reasons it would be extremely hard for Clemson to make the playoffs let alone win a National Championship.

As I mentioned before.. I have no visions of grandeur of winning the NC this year.. We would need many bounces to go our way as well as performance on both sides of the ball. I am fully admitting that it would be a long shot to to win the NC. However,, playoffs?? You win the 4 tough games on your schedule.. and take care of business against a lackluster Coastal division team in the Championship game and we're in the playoffs.. Once in the playoffs all bets are off.. That is no madness.. Undefeated or potentially one loss against a quality team. Winning the conf champ game.. Clemson is in the playoffs.. As far as the recruits go.. We haven't been doing to shabby in that department... In regards to the SEC gap... I think it has been bridged more than you might care to admit.. That Ole Miss team that beat Bama.. Destroyed and embarrassed in a bowl game. Miss St got rolled by GT in the Orange Bowl. Auburn got beat by a Wisconsin team that got trucked in their last game. Alabama beaten up and down the field by OSU.. Not to mention what happened the last week of the season between ACCvsSEC foes... All I'm trying to say.. CLemson could very well have a mediocre season this year by recent standards and if they catch some breaks and take care of business could find themselves with a chance in the playoff to play for a NC.. Lots of IF's there... On the same hand.. USC could have a great season if they have some of those same bounces I spoke of earlier go their way..

As I mentioned before.. I have no visions of grandeur of winning the NC this year.. We would need many bounces to go our way as well as performance on both sides of the ball. I am fully admitting that it would be a long shot to to win the NC. However,, playoffs?? You win the 4 tough games on your schedule.. and take care of business against a lackluster Coastal division team in the Championship game and we're in the playoffs.. Once in the playoffs all bets are off.. That is no madness.. Undefeated or potentially one loss against a quality team. Winning the conf champ game.. Clemson is in the playoffs.. As far as the recruits go.. We haven't been doing to shabby in that department... In regards to the SEC gap... I think it has been bridged more than you might care to admit.. That Ole Miss team that beat Bama.. Destroyed and embarrassed in a bowl game. Miss St got rolled by GT in the Orange Bowl. Auburn got beat by a Wisconsin team that got trucked in their last game. Alabama beaten up and down the field by OSU.. Not to mention what happened the last week of the season between ACCvsSEC foes... All I'm trying to say.. CLemson could very well have a mediocre season this year by recent standards and if they catch some breaks and take care of business could find themselves with a chance in the playoff to play for a NC.. Lots of IF's there... On the same hand.. USC could have a great season if they have some of those same bounces I spoke of earlier go their way..

One loss and you are out if you are in the ACC. Look at FSU last year. They hadn't lost a game in what two years and was barely in... There is no way a Clemson team could get in with a loss.

I thought rogue was pretty truthful myself. You never want to quit on your team as a fan or player. Nobody knows what will happen till the games are played. But optimism would be something all fans should embrace. JMO.

Rouge, all you say is true compared to all your ACC member teams, but everything you boast about having , so does Carolina and nearly every team in the SEC not to mention the big 10, PAC 12 and the BIG 12. Clemson is one of the biggest fish in the ACC pond but not better than or as good as many of the programs in the other power conferences. I know, some of the Clemson mindset is to go undefeated in the relatively soft ACC and land in the playoffs but the easy path you may have will also play a part in thwarting any chance you would ever have making the playoffs. I come not in anger but am trying to show some reality in the madness that has become the Clemson nation after one year of relative success. You have recruited a great QB prospect, one or two linemen and some potentially great receivers but that's about it. Look at the recruits every year that the programs you hope to be one day get and you begin to see some of the reasons it would be extremely hard for Clemson to make the playoffs let alone win a National Championship.

I'm sorry, but I don't think SC nor every team in every power 5 conference has what CU does. That is why CU is ranked in the top15 by virtually every pre-season poll and every pre-season magazine out there. CU has recruited quite a bit more than a QB, one or two OL and some great WRs. You can dismiss the gap in talent between SC and CU all you want, but eventually the teams will hit the field. We will then see if SC fans or virtually everyone else is correct about SC and CU football in 2015. You may be correct, and a bunch of people including me may be completely wrong. If you are right, I'll come back and take my medicine. I look for CU to have another excellent year, but I hear very few fans talking NC despite what is posted on here constantly.

Easy to answer. The same thing they have done for the past 20 years.

Reactions: oakley51
I'm sorry, but I don't think SC nor every team in every power 5 conference has what CU does. .

For once I have to agree with this tater. Most other teams have don't have just 3 returning starters on D. Most other teams don't have zero returning Olinemen. Most other teams don't have their best FG kicker out for the first two games. Most other teams don't have a new OC who is actually untested as yet (yes, he called the bowl game, but that was still almost entirely CM's offense).

You have as many unknowns as we do tater, and probably more than most of the teams that will compete for the playoffs. To sum it up, last year you had one of the best D's in the country, this year not so much. You finished 9-3 with that D, and you expect to do even better with what you have coming back??

For once I have to agree with this tater. Most other teams have don't have just 3 returning starters on D. Most other teams don't have zero returning Olinemen. Most other teams don't have their best FG kicker out for the first two games. Most other teams don't have a new OC who is actually untested as yet (yes, he called the bowl game, but that was still almost entirely CM's offense).

You have as many unknowns as we do tater, and probably more than most of the teams that will compete for the playoffs. To sum it up, last year you had one of the best D's in the country, this year not so much. You finished 9-3 with that D, and you expect to do even better with what you have coming back??

So why is CU ranked in every pre-season poll if we are so bad? If SC is as talented as CU, why are you not ranked? You can say pre-season polls don't matter, but the teams at the top in pre-season are usually there at the end.

Reactions: IMBlessed
So why is CU ranked in every pre-season poll if we are so bad? If SC is as talented as CU, why are you not ranked? You can say pre-season polls don't matter, but the teams at the top in pre-season are usually there at the end.

Why were we ranked so high last year preseason, only to drop like a rock when the games started? Go back and read my post. I never said ANYTHING about USC being talented or should be ranked in the top 25. I personally think we should start around 40 or so myself. After last season, and all the personnel losses, and a new QB and a new DC, we have just as much to prove as the taters do.

They'll foolishly celebrate their 9-3 record the same way they did last season, but completely ignore the fact that the almighty Tigers did not beat a single ranked opponent. Clemson is literally like the biggest kid bully in the eighth grade... beat up on weaker opponents and brag about it, but get brain smashed by anyone capable of putting up what even remotely resembles a fight.

I'm sorry, but I don't think SC nor every team in every power 5 conference has what CU does. That is why CU is ranked in the top15 by virtually every pre-season poll and every pre-season magazine out there. CU has recruited quite a bit more than a QB, one or two OL and some great WRs. You can dismiss the gap in talent between SC and CU all you want, but eventually the teams will hit the field. We will then see if SC fans or virtually everyone else is correct about SC and CU football in 2015. You may be correct, and a bunch of people including me may be completely wrong. If you are right, I'll come back and take my medicine. I look for CU to have another excellent year, but I hear very few fans talking NC despite what is posted on here constantly.
Another excellent year?? As if to imply last season was excellent? Clemson lost to the only 3 ranked teams it faced last season. Congrats, Clemson won the 9 games it should've won. That's excellent?

Another excellent year?? As if to imply last season was excellent? Clemson lost to the only 3 ranked teams it faced last season. Congrats, Clemson won the 9 games it should've won. That's excellent?

Curious, what were your thoughts on your team preseason last year? Were you optimistic, or did you assume you would be as bad on defense as you were? Were you one of the ones that would say, "Ward will have our boys ready?" If so, note how 'off base' you were with your optimism.

Look, Clemson could have a mediocre season in contrast to what many expect from them this year. Some Clemson fans are a little too optimistic and they may fall back down to reality at some point this season. All that said, it is funny how DEAD certain you and the majority on here are about Clemson having a mediocre season. I'm just saying, there is a place to take your money if you're that certain...it's called Vegas.

With every fan base there are people that have unrealistic expectations. Kind of like when I come on this board and I see people predicting 10 win seasons or going undefeated at home, which is completely ridiculous. How can you all call Clemson fans delusional when you are predicting a 10 win season?

Yes people are predicting winning the ACC, going to a playoff, and even winning the national championship. The difference is, is a plethora of the national media is picking Clemson to go to the playoff as well. When you have that, then of course fans of the team are going to repeat those sentiments.

What do you gamecocks think Clemson's record will be?

One loss and you are out if you are in the ACC. Look at FSU last year. They hadn't lost a game in what two years and was barely in... There is no way a Clemson team could get in with a loss.

One loss being against a top 10 Notre Dame squad,, OR... if you guys happen to surprise people and have a great season.. Yes a one loss Clemson team would more than likely be in the playoffs so long as we go on to win the conference

I think you could lose to ND, FSU, GT, Louisville and us. I won't be off by more than one. Win all (heck, or even three) of those and my hat's off to you. It's just an opinion. Meanwhile I think we will be 8-4 with losses against UGA, LSU, UT and aTm. Could be off a game on that one, too. We have a lot of "tossup" type games. We may lay one on Butchy in Knoxville or LSU in Cola. Both are due an azz whipping and UT is really overly hyped.

Bottom line is no one really knows until we tee it up. I do think we will be improved and with your personnel losses you won't be as good. For example, do you think you can repeat as the #1 defense again? I know many of you idiots will say yes or your offense will make up for it. Teams will ball control you to death and keep Watson off the field if he's all that good. And I'm not sure he is yet. Let's all meet back and discuss after Thanksgiving when you get your butts handed to you by us. Keep underestimating us and overestimating your team. That is all.

Reactions: Cocky kebo57
One loss being against a top 10 Notre Dame squad,, OR... if you guys happen to surprise people and have a great season.. Yes a one loss Clemson team would more than likely be in the playoffs so long as we go on to win the conference

Listen TaterTot- A ONE LOSS ACC SCHOOL WILL NOT GET INTO THE PLAYOFFS. A lot will go into factoring that as well, take for instance your out of conference schedule.... besides us you play Wofford and App St. Do you honestly think that you would get the nod over another school playing a harder out of conference schedule with one loss? If so... you are delusional.

I think you could lose to ND, FSU, GT, Louisville and us. I won't be off by more than one. Win all (heck, or even three) of those and my hat's off to you. It's just an opinion. Meanwhile I think we will be 8-4 with losses against UGA, LSU, UT and aTm. Could be off a game on that one, too. We have a lot of "tossup" type games. We may lay one on Butchy in Knoxville or LSU in Cola. Both are due an azz whipping and UT is really overly hyped.

Bottom line is no one really knows until we tee it up. I do think we will be improved and with your personnel losses you won't be as good. For example, do you think you can repeat as the #1 defense again? I know many of you idiots will say yes or your offense will make up for it. Teams will ball control you to death and keep Watson off the field if he's all that good. And I'm not sure he is yet. Let's all meet back and discuss after Thanksgiving when you get your butts handed to you by us. Keep underestimating us and overestimating your team. That is all.

You are correct that nobody really knows until the season starts. So you are saying that you won't have a single WTF game this year? That has pretty much been a staple every single year for a Spurrier coached team. Only 4 losses for you guys? Wow

I would bet the house that Clemson won't loss 5 or more games. Absolutely no way. Unless Watson gets injured in the first game of the season then we won't lose more than 2 games.

You are correct that nobody really knows until the season starts. So you are saying that you won't have a single WTF game this year? That has pretty much been a staple every single year for a Spurrier coached team. Only 4 losses for you guys? Wow

I would bet the house that Clemson won't loss 5 or more games. Absolutely no way. Unless Watson gets injured in the first game of the season then we won't lose more than 2 games.
\

I have said it since spring practice started. Clemson will be 8-4/9-3. (lose to Lou, ND, FSU or GT with us being the toss up). 2016 might be a better year for yall with the OL and DL have more experience. But, you can't ignore the fact that you have no depth on the DL and have a true freshmen protecting an already fragile qb's blindside.

Carolina will be 8-4/7-5 with (lose to UGA, LSU, A&M or UT with Taters being the toss up). While we will gain experience this year, I believe 2016 will be the year for us to contend for an SECC.

Good points.

I am not too worried about our defense. Our first team will be very good, but our second team is inexperienced albeit talented. If we can avoid injuries then we should be fine. Our O-Line is what scares me. Not only are we not very deep, but we are inexperienced as well. Time will tell, but I like the talent there. My guess is that if we avoid injuries they will be above average by the end of the season. I think there will be growing pains early on.

As for you guys, I see your defense being average to above average. Can't really expect the same players on a bad defense to be exponentially better. You did add some JUCO players that will help, but I don't think they will help to the extent of making a great defense. I think your offense will struggle this year as well with a new QB. I predict a similar record to last year, but what do I know? That's why we have a season.

We've had quite a few WTF wins, so those offset the WTF losses IMO. Just as an example, UGA last year, Bama a few years ago, just to name a couple. And I will say this as well. our coaching staff and players seem to be unusually hungry this year to redeem themselves. Hoke could make just as much of a difference as Venables eventually. We'll know soon enough if last year was the beginning of a trend or just a blip. Either way, both teams should be priming for 2016.

Curious, what were your thoughts on your team preseason last year? Were you optimistic, or did you assume you would be as bad on defense as you were? Were you one of the ones that would say, "Ward will have our boys ready?" If so, note how 'off base' you were with your optimism.

Look, Clemson could have a mediocre season in contrast to what many expect from them this year. Some Clemson fans are a little too optimistic and they may fall back down to reality at some point this season. All that said, it is funny how DEAD certain you and the majority on here are about Clemson having a mediocre season. I'm just saying, there is a place to take your money if you're that certain...it's called Vegas.

This time last year I would say I was cautiously optimistic. We had three 11 win seasons in a row, but everyone knew that would not last forever. I knew the D would drop back a couple notches after losing so much talent, I just didn't quite expect the dropoff that we did have last year. I certainly thought Ward would do better with what he had, but I don't think anyone expected what happened.

My idea of a mediocre season will probably be different from what you idea of mediocre. Just like us, you won't have 10 plus win seasons EVERY year from here on out. At some point, most every team has a down year or three (unless you team is named bama or OSU) and come back down to reality. Considering all your losses on D, and the Oline, and a new OC, I just think clemmons will have a down year in 2015. Skill players alone can't win every game, you know?

Same way coots spin it....wait till next year :)

Honestly, the only place talking about Clemson as a MNC contender is FGF. We've been listed as dark horses etc. and Clemson fans are excited, but in the same breath Clemson fans know we have question marks. Most Clemson fans are being truthful and honest; we believe in our team and wont quit on them... but at the same time, we are not ready to predict a 7 and 6 year either.

Before we lost the four players we just did, we were in much better shape and might have had a good shot. (Which is when a lot of this talk was started.) Now I suspect we will lose around two to three games.

Listen TaterTot- A ONE LOSS ACC SCHOOL WILL NOT GET INTO THE PLAYOFFS. A lot will go into factoring that as well, take for instance your out of conference schedule.... besides us you play Wofford and App St. Do you honestly think that you would get the nod over another school playing a harder out of conference schedule with one loss? If so... you are delusional.

You forgot about that one other team called... Notre Dame... It's funny to talk to insecure people.. The first person that will resort to calling others a name at the drop of a hat.. or use cursing every other word screams insecurity. Listen man... I'm giving the OP an honest opinion from a Tiger fan. I'm going to be more biased about the situation because I am in fact a Clemson fan. I try to do it in a respectful and realistic POV as I can. Love it or leave it.. It's my opinion.. Really not a reason to start calling people stupid,, Tater tots.. etc. Grow up man.

Not sure who you're referring to. I hop on here from time to time and most of the posts from the flamers are just done to troll you guys. I think we go 10-2. I think we lose that road game at Louisville and I think we miss out on the ACCCG for the record. But, I am sure this post will have very little influence on your original take.

\

I have said it since spring practice started. Clemson will be 8-4/9-3. (lose to Lou, ND, FSU or GT with us being the toss up). 2016 might be a better year for yall with the OL and DL have more experience. But, you can't ignore the fact that you have no depth on the DL and have a true freshmen protecting an already fragile qb's blindside.

Carolina will be 8-4/7-5 with (lose to UGA, LSU, A&M or UT with Taters being the toss up). While we will gain experience this year, I believe 2016 will be the year for us to contend for an SECC.
I see CU losing 4: ND,GT,FSU and Carolina. Louisville is a wild card. They could drop that.

You forgot about that one other team called... Notre Dame... It's funny to talk to insecure people.. The first person that will resort to calling others a name at the drop of a hat.. or use cursing every other word screams insecurity. Listen man... I'm giving the OP an honest opinion from a Tiger fan. I'm going to be more biased about the situation because I am in fact a Clemson fan. I try to do it in a respectful and realistic POV as I can. Love it or leave it.. It's my opinion.. Really not a reason to start calling people stupid,, Tater tots.. etc. Grow up man.

1) I was the original poster
2) You are a "TaterTot" /Tater. No different if we went on your message board and we get called a "coot"
3) I find it funny how a conference so insecure with itself allows a team like Notre Dame to be partial members. I was grouping them in the ACC, since they play half of an ACC schedule but don't have to be associated with the ACC in football...
4) I have no problem with any Clemson fan being biased towards their team. BUT.... there is a difference in being biased and delusional. Unfortunately MANY (didn't say you) of your TaterTot friends have been all over our message boards spewing nothing but garbage on about the upcoming season. Heisman this. ACC champs that. Playoff bound. Spinning everything like your "Coach" has in the media to make yourselves relevant in the national picture.

I don't expect this to be a great year - too much concern over the offensive line and kicking game.The defense, I figure to be not as good but still a top 25 defense.

I don't expect this to be a great year - too much concern over the offensive line and kicking game.The defense, I figure to be not as good but still a top 25 defense.

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!
WE HAVE A CLEMSON FAN THAT JUST SPOKE LOGICALLY!!!!!! WOW!!!! WELCOME TO THE DISCUSSION!!!!!

In all seriousness, I believe you just said what EVERY Carolina fan thinks about CU. And no disrespect, but I agree that the defense will still be in top 25 because of many of the lesser quality opponents you play. (Wofford, App. State, BC, Syracuse, Wake Forest) These tend to pad the numbers a little.

Cocky4SC---- lets flip the question. What do you think Tanner will do if the Gamecocks go 3-5 in conference play and finish the regular season losing to Clemson to go 6-6.

Seriously. Even if that were to happen, I see some promise on the horizon for you guys. But in year 11 of a Hall of Fame Coach?? It's a little different than year 3 or 4 with promise for upward trajectory. I think it's a fair question and it's pretty much in line with where most "pundits" are predicting the dominos will fall this year.

So....... What happens?

they will spin it just like dabo...."we were only 2/3 plays away from winning it all".....they offer an elective at clemson now, its called DABO101

Cocky4SC---- lets flip the question. What do you think Tanner will do if the Gamecocks go 3-5 in conference play and finish the regular season losing to Clemson to go 6-6.

Seriously. Even if that were to happen, I see some promise on the horizon for you guys. But in year 11 of a Hall of Fame Coach?? It's a little different than year 3 or 4 with promise for upward trajectory. I think it's a fair question and it's pretty much in line with where most "pundits" are predicting the dominos will fall this year.

So....... What happens?

I will take the bait... Nothing will happen to Spurrier if we ended up 6-6. I think a lot would have to go wrong for us to end up with that record. I will say this, Clemsux has a higher probability of going 8-4 than us going 6-6.

My response will be the same as you when your team finishes 7-5. Overated.

ADVERTISEMENT