ADVERTISEMENT

My starting 5 for the basketball team, what's yours?

75CarolinaFan

Jan 7, 2009
Lawson
Couisnard
Minaya
Bryant
Frink

I'd play zone defense with that length all day until our guys can prove they can stay in front of their man.

Kotsar
Leveque
Minaya
Lawson
Bolden

Frink
Bryant
Cousinard
Moss

I would change Kotsar for Frink, but I think Lawson needs to run point until Hannibal grows into the role.
I agree with this. Hannibal is the only true PG. But he does need time to adjust. He is a little wild and out of control at times right now. Once he's ready, I'd sub out Couisnard and have him come off the bench.

Last edited:
Lawson
Couisnard
Minaya
Bryant
Frink

I'd play zone defense with that length all day until our guys can prove they can stay in front of their man.

Bolden
Cousinard
Lawson
Kotsar
Bryant

Frink
Minaya
Off bench

Small lineup but it's the scoring lineup. I hope you guys are right about Hannibal, certainly a stud athlete.

Lawson
Couisnard
Minaya
Bryant
Frink

Frink? You'd start Frink? I agree with Lawson, Couisnard, and Bryant. Minaya has not played very well, but I don't know if there is a better option. Kotsar absolutely has to start. He's been one of our better performers. Is he great? No, but he is a good defender within the team-defense.

Quite honestly, right now it doesn't matter who is starting, Frank is constantly shuffling players in and out looking for the right combos and hot hands and whoever can avoid making stupid fouls. Frink right now needs the right defensive matchups to be on the floor for extended minutes. He is too slow of foot to guard many players the way Frank wants him to. He did make some good offensive contributions last night though

Reactions: Sensible Rooster
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

First guy off the bench...

giphy.gif

Kotsar has played well so far, and the team plays better with him on the floor. Does he have deficiencies, of course! But when we get into league play, we will need his size and length to compete for board help at least. Bryant is a huge boost, along with Lawson, Couisnard, Minaya rounding out my starting 5. No true point guard, but hopefully Hannibal can contribute as the season deepens.

Too slow on defense, gets blocked by guys half a foot shorter on offense, gets outrebounded too often by Minaya etc, and often times can't make a layup.
He has actually played really good this year. Your assessment there would have been true last year but this year he has been really good for us with hustle and energy and effectiveness.

Kotsar has always been a plus defender. Just by his size and the fact he can move a little bit in a show or switch makes him valuable. His defensive box plus/minus is always +4 or higher. Frink struggles on defense. He’s undersized, a slow runner and a slow reaction jumper.

Lawson
Cousinard
Bryant
Minaya
Kotsar

is your best line-up. Unless the other team is playing two legit bigs, and then you might have to swap Minaya for Wildens or McCreary. I would not play Frink and Kotsar together. I would not play TJ Moss or Henry. Play Bolden or Cousinard in crunch time depending on who is hot. Would also play around with playing Lawson, Cousinard and Bolden at the same time.

Frink? You'd start Frink? I agree with Lawson, Couisnard, and Bryant. Minaya has not played very well, but I don't know if there is a better option. Kotsar absolutely has to start. He's been one of our better performers. Is he great? No, but he is a good defender within the team-defense.
I prefer Frink b/c he rebounds better and can make layups. Both he and Kotsar are liabilities on defense imo. Frink just fouls more. But that's why I mentioned playing zone defense right now. That said, Kotsar would be better if he were stationary as well. Neither move their feet well but Kotsar is slower to react. Yeah, he played well against a full court press and against the mid majors but he did that last year too. Then the SEC season came around.

Quite honestly, right now it doesn't matter who is starting, Frank is constantly shuffling players in and out looking for the right combos and hot hands and whoever can avoid making stupid fouls. Frink right now needs the right defensive matchups to be on the floor for extended minutes. He is too slow of foot to guard many players the way Frank wants him to. He did make some good offensive contributions last night though
It's the offense(making layups) and the rebounding that sets him apart from Kotsar imo. He does have to stop the stupid fouls and do a better job staying in front of his man on defense.

Bolden at PG
Lawson at 2G
Couisnard at SG
Bryant at SF
Kotsar at C

I think you have to put your best 5 on the floor. Minaya plays good defense, but he turns the ball over too much and gets into foul trouble.

My first man off the bench would be Frink. After that it would be Minaya and then Hannibal or Leveque. Moss just doesn't do much for me right now.

Kotsar has played well so far, and the team plays better with him on the floor. Does he have deficiencies, of course! But when we get into league play, we will need his size and length to compete for board help at least. Bryant is a huge boost, along with Lawson, Couisnard, Minaya rounding out my starting 5. No true point guard, but hopefully Hannibal can contribute as the season deepens.
We agree on everything but Kotsar. I'd take that lineup though. Offense is going to have to revolve around those four. I understand Minaya has struggled shooting. But he finds the ball(rebounds) and I believe his shot will eventually start to fall again. He's also long like the others which I think would contribute to a pretty nasty zone defense even if we can't excel at the man to man and switching Frank likes to do. Hannibal would help tremendously with the man to man defense since Frank likes to pressure the first pass so aggressively. I believe that's where the defense is breaking down because opponents are flying by our other PG defenders.

He has actually played really good this year. Your assessment there would have been true last year but this year he has been really good for us with hustle and energy and effectiveness.
He did the same thing last year before SEC play. I remember discussing one of his big games early last year and being hopeful he'd have a great year and then he just completely fell off. Missed all those free throws in a row. I hate it for him. He seems like a great teammate.

Last edited:
Kotsar has always been a plus defender. Just by his size and the fact he can move a little bit in a show or switch makes him valuable. His defensive box plus/minus is always +4 or higher. Frink struggles on defense. He’s undersized, a slow runner and a slow reaction jumper.

Lawson
Cousinard
Bryant
Minaya
Kotsar

is your best line-up. Unless the other team is playing two legit bigs, and then you might have to swap Minaya for Wildens or McCreary. I would not play Frink and Kotsar together. I would not play TJ Moss or Henry. Play Bolden or Cousinard in crunch time depending on who is hot. Would also play around with playing Lawson, Cousinard and Bolden at the same time.
I believe Kotsar has the slowest reaction time of anyone on the team. Frink is undersized and a slow runner which is why I'd keep him as stationary on D as possible(zone), same with Kotsar though.

I agree with the rest. I'd play Moss, but much less than he plays. I like Wildens a little more than McCreary right now, but McCreary is very springy and could be really good if he could learn to play more in control.

Last edited:
Bolden at PG
Lawson at 2G
Couisnard at SG
Bryant at SF
Kotsar at C

I think you have to put your best 5 on the floor. Minaya plays good defense, but he turns the ball over too much and gets into foul trouble.

My first man off the bench would be Frink. After that it would be Minaya and then Hannibal or Leveque. Moss just doesn't do much for me right now.
I feel like Bolden is getting beat on defense too much and hasn't been good on offense lately. If he gets hot though, I'd definitely keep him in the game and probably over Minaya, maybe Couisnard.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Kotsar has been able to knock down the occasional 10 footer, which has been huge for this team that has struggled offensively at times. Not sure the other bigs bring that, outside of a stick-back. Agree his reaction time is not great, but he’s long and active, and has been pretty consistent so far. If he can average 10 and 6 in SEC play, it’ll be a huge plus.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
Kotsar has been able to knock down the occasional 10 footer, which has been huge for this team that has struggled offensively at times. Not sure the other bigs bring that, outside of a stick-back. Agree his reaction time is not great, but he’s long and active, and has been pretty consistent so far. If he can average 10 and 6 in SEC play, it’ll be a huge plus.
I actually hate the 10 footer unless there is less than 10 secs left in the shot clock. I don't believe his percentage from that distance warrants him taking it so often, or anyone on the team for that matter. In fact, that's the biggest problem with our offense. Settling for 2 point jump shots when we miss so many of them. There isn't a shot on the floor our opponents would rather give us than those 2 point jump shots early in the shot clock. It's the dumbest shot in the game unless you've got a great shooter and we don't. Statistically we'd come out better shooting 3's since we get the extra point when it goes in.

Plus it's ALWAYS open because our opponents want us to take that shot. That's why we should try to get the ball inside down low or kick out to the open 3pt shooter and if we can't get that, then settle for the open 2 point jumper. Drives me nuts and announcer after announcer, many of them coaches, point out how stupid it is.

Disagree. If it’s late in the shot clock, I’ll take a short jump shot and 2 points over 0 points and an empty possession any day. Our 3 point shooting has been horrendous, and we don’t have many guys who have shown the ability to score the basketball from any distance on a consistent basis. Take the buckets where you can get them.

Disagree. If it’s late in the shot clock, I’ll take a short jump shot and 2 points over 0 points and an empty possession any day. Our 3 point shooting has been horrendous, and we don’t have many guys who have shown the ability to score the basketball from any distance on a consistent basis. Take the buckets where you can get them.
Now I agree late in the clock. Just not early.

You'd have to make 50% of those 2 pointers to make up for a 33% 3 pt shooter. Lawson is shooting at 33% from 3, Couisnard is at 35%, and Bolden is 39%. There is no way Kotsar is making that shot at a 50% clip. I'd be surprised if it's even 35%. We are giving away points.

But, late in the clock(less than 10 secs) and couldn't get a better look? Yeah, Kotsar needs to take that.

Reactions: Sensible Rooster
Bolden at PG
Lawson at 2G
Couisnard at SG
Bryant at SF
Kotsar at C

Minaya has a 2 to 1 assists/steals to turnover ratio which is excellent and averages ONE turnover per game. He has 14 fouls in 9 games. He did have 4 fouls against UMASS but they came late and he still played 31 minutes. Also we were assessed a season high foul total and it was a road game. Your criticism has no basis in reality.

Last edited:
For those who want Couisnard to start, where will the bench points come from? You know Frank likes having a scorer come off the bench ala Hassani and even Notice from a few years ago.

Minaya has a 2 to 1 assists/steals to turnover ratio which is excellent and averages ONE turnover per game. He has 14 fouls in 9 games. He did have 4 fouls against UMASS but they came late and he still played 31 minutes. Also we were assessed a season high foul total and it was a road game. Your criticism has no basis in reality.

Frank must believe in him because he is playing a lot, but despite his stats I don't see what he brings to the game. He's too small to guard a big man and too slow to play guard. His TOs come at the wrong time and take away momentum. We need scorers and he's not one. We will see what happens when SEC season starts, but I think you will see his minutes decline.

For those who want Couisnard to start, where will the bench points come from? You know Frank likes having a scorer come off the bench ala Hassani and even Notice from a few years ago.

Hannibal?

I want the best 5 on the floor from the start and get some points up quickly. Get off to a fast start.

Frank must believe in him because he is playing a lot, but despite his stats I don't see what he brings to the game. He's too small to guard a big man and too slow to play guard. His TOs come at the wrong time and take away momentum. We need scorers and he's not one. We will see what happens when SEC season starts, but I think you will see his minutes decline.
So his ONE turnover a game in 30minutes played always comes at the wrong time smh. FM repeatedly refers to him as his best defender and his best rebounder. But never let your skewed opinion get in the way of facts or professional’s evaluations

Bolden at PG
Lawson at 2G
Couisnard at SG
Bryant at SF
Kotsar at C

Like this lineup the best. I would insert Frink for Bolden depending on matchups. Minaya is good guy to have in the rotation, however, I just don't see him as a starter if we are going where we all want to go.

Hannibal?

I want the best 5 on the floor from the start and get some points up quickly. Get off to a fast start.

Yes, Hannibal will get there. Unfortunately for him this is his first year. FM loves experience. In one of his interviews he says, “Fans like Freshmen, while coaches like Seniors”. That’s speaks to experience. That’s the main reason why Frink has been playing.

Basketball is not necessarily about the best 5 starting the game because the groupings have to be functioning. Kotsar plays because he knows not only what he is supposed to do, but everyone else. That’s why FM is always on him about confidence.

AJ is supposed to be the “face” of the squad due to his accolades but his defense hasn’t been up to par. Fortunately for AJ, he has earned his stripes.

I expect Wildens to see more of the court because he plays defense the way FM wants. Hannibal may get more time because he plays on-ball defense is pretty well, but we are guard heavy with more experience.

Hannibal, Leveque and McCreary are earning playing time based on practice, but they are still first year guys compared to the others.

Like this lineup the best. I would insert Frink for Bolden depending on matchups. Minaya is good guy to have in the rotation, however, I just don't see him as a starter if we are going where we all want to go.
Bolden is a 1 and Frink is a 4; I don't see those as interchangeable parts.

When I say starters what I'm saying is who I want to play the most.

It would be crazy to keep a better player on the bench just for the sake of calling them bench points. The best players need to play the most. But I do believe we have guys like Bolden, Moss, and Hannibal that can help off the bench if Couisnard or AJ or whoever is having a bad game.

His 3 pointer needs to start falling. He's a capable shooter. Notice had a really tough time early in his career before his shot started falling.

Besides that, Minaya is a wing player. He's a good perimeter defender and a really good rebounder at the 3 spot.

Bolden is a 1 and Frink is a 4; I don't see those as interchangeable parts.
I think it just means shuffle the other players. AJ runs the point, Couisnard the 2, Bryant 3, Frink 4, and Kotsar 5. If we have to go bigger I like that lineup, but I hope we can be effective with a smaller lineup since most of our potential is in that group.

I hope Leveque gets more comfortable. He and Hannibal are the wild cards that could really, really help this team by the end of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT