ADVERTISEMENT

My Thanksgiving Day...My Black Friday

Sep 13, 2006
Epshesians 4:32...And be ye kind, one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

That was the one quote from the bible my mother quoted to me time and time again as a child growing up in Camden, South Carolina. On Thanksgiving Day(2019), about one hour before we were to begin our Thanksgiving meal with our mother in (now) Rock Hill, South Carolina, my mother suffered a heart attack in her bedroom. My brother (former nurse) and I (retired police officer) performed CPR on my mother until the medic units arrived. They worked on her for almost 40 minutes with CPR both in the home and in the ambulance before transporting her to the hospital in Rock Hill. After several more hours of treatment, it became apparent my mother's heart (82) was just too weak to continue and the only thing keeping her alive was the meds and machines. It was the toughest decision of my life to agree to stop treatment (as were her own wishes in her living will). My mother passed away on Thanksgiving Day just after five pm. My Black Friday was spent making arrangements at the funeral home in Rock Hill. I make this post for one reason alone. One might argue that the death of one's mother on Thanksgiving Day should make one want look up to the heavens and scream "If you are a loving God, why did you take my mother from this earth today, today a very special day, of all days, in her own life?" My mother's love was always unconditional. She was a fine Christian woman that raised her children in a christian home. That quote (above) she often spoke to me as a child was routinely ignored by me. As life comes full circle for me, it really bring home the realities that wins and loses by a group of fine young men, no matter how many wins or losses they endure, really has no meaning in my own life beyond pride. I speak only for myself. To those that put too much meaning into the wins and loses of a football team, I would offer the premise it just should not be that important in our DAILY lives. It should not have taken me the loss of my own mother to realize that all my own priority are totally out of wack. I will not be watching the game tomorrow as its results simply have no real meaning in my life. As it should have been from the beginning. I want to wish our entire Gamecock Nation a happy holiday season and a Merry Christmas. My faith is now stronger. The only things that matter, in my humble opinion, are God and family. Everything else is secondary and of little importance in the entire scheme of one's life A final tribute to my mother" Elizabeth Ann (Starkey) Owen...Rock Hill, South Carolina Born 1937...Left this earth to be with the Lord...November 28th, 2019. No remarks are necessary.

PS: Just sharing my feeling, barring my soul to my fellow Gamecocks peers, as this is my last post with Gamecock Central. Peace on Earth...GOOD WILL TOWARD MAN.

Last edited:
Reactions: 92Pony
My prayers and thoughts are with you, your family and your mothers friends. May she RIP. I lost my mother very near Thanksgiving Day many years ago, but I think of her everyday.

I don’t know you, but I’m so sorry for your loss. It sounds like your mother was a woman of great character and faith. I pray that your family will find peace in the coming days during a tough time.

God bless you and your family - events like this just brings everything into perspective - Carolina vs Clemson game is always a crazy event but in the grand scheme of things - its just a game - just a game - I learned that when I was diagnosed with kidney cancer 20 years ago - so i take things like this game into perspective - at the end of the day - wins are sweet - losses suck but life goes on!

Epshesians 4:32...And be ye kind, one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

That was the one quote from the bible my mother quoted to me time and time again as a child growing up in Camden, South Carolina. On Thanksgiving Day(2019), about one hour before we were to begin our Thanksgiving meal with our mother in (now) Rock Hill, South Carolina, my mother suffered a heart attack in her bedroom. My brother (former nurse) and I (retired police officer) performed CPR on my mother until the medic units arrived. They worked on her for almost 40 minutes with CPR both in the home and in the ambulance before transporting her to the hospital in Rock Hill. After several more hours of treatment, it became apparent my mother's heart (82) was just too weak to continue and the only thing keeping her alive was the meds and machines. It was the toughest decision of my life to agree to stop treatment (as were her own wishes in her living will). My mother passed away on Thanksgiving Day just after five pm. My Black Friday was spent making arrangements at the funeral home in Rock Hill. I make this post for one reason alone. One might argue that the death of one's mother on Thanksgiving Day should make one want look up to the heavens and scream "If you are a loving God, why did you take my mother from this earth today, today a very special day, of all days, in her own life?" My mother's love was always unconditional. She was a fine Christian woman that raised her children in a christian home. That quote (above) she often spoke to me as a child was routinely ignored by me. As life comes full circle for me, it really bring home the realities that wins and loses by a group of fine young men, no matter how many wins or losses they endure, really has no meaning in my own life beyond pride. I speak only for myself. To those that put too much meaning into the wins and loses of a football team, I would offer the premise it just should not be that important in our DAILY lives. It should not have taken me the loss of my own mother to realize that all my own priority are totally out of wack. I will not be watching the game tomorrow as its results simply have no real meaning in my life. As it should have been from the beginning. I want to wish our entire Gamecock Nation a happy holiday season and a Merry Christmas. My faith is now stronger. The only things that matter, in my humble opinion, are God and family. Everything else is secondary and of little importance in the entire scheme of one's life A final tribute to my mother" Elizabeth Ann (Starkey) Owen...Rock Hill, South Carolina Born 1937...Left this earth to be with the Lord...November 28th, 2019. No remarks are necessary.

PS: Just sharing my feeling, barring my soul to my fellow Gamecocks peers, as this is my last post with Gamecock Central. Peace on Earth...GOOD WILL TOWARD MAN.

Prayers for you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT