ADVERTISEMENT

My thought on Stallworth penalty

Poultry King

Sep 15, 2008
its not fair to penalize the team for that. Had he taken it off to fight or make a show it’s a personal foul.
But in this case it should either be off setting or send him to bench for a play. If it happened again then penalize the bench.

I just wonder how the person with the ball that loses a helmet is not penalized but the person tackling him is. The rule states if the player continues to play with helmet off its a personal foul.

I just wonder how the person with the ball that loses a helmet is not penalized but the person tackling him is. The rule states if the player continues to play with helmet off its a personal foul.

The play is dead immediately if the runner loses his helmet. Ref blows the whistle right away. Any other player who loses his helmet is on his own to stop play (offense or defense), since the play continues.

Apparently there was debate about killing the play automatically for any player losing a helmet when the rule was created, but it was decided a defensive player could "accidentally" lose a helmet to stop a big play.

It's a tough blow for the offending team, no doubt. But as a former HS ref, I can promise this one is drilled in as a safety issue. Any ref missing this one would probably be suspended.

However, as a Gamecock, this totally and completely sucked.

Also, if the runner loses his helmet, the ball is immediately dead. Therefore, hitting him after that would be a personal foul. But...how in the world is a defender supposed to stop in his tracks and not hit the runner? No idea. Better hope the ref blows the hell out of his whistle.

Also, if the runner loses his helmet, the ball is immediately dead. Therefore, hitting him after that would be a personal foul. But...how in the world is a defender supposed to stop in his tracks and not hit the runner? No idea. Better hope the ref blows the hell out of his whistle.
its not fair to penalize the team for that. Had he taken it off to fight or make a show it’s a personal foul.
But in this case it should either be off setting or send him to bench for a play. If it happened again then penalize the bench.
Offensive lineman should have been called for hands to the face he knocked the helmet off

ADVERTISEMENT