ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on Chad

sclawman77

Jun 27, 2011
Chad will definitely be back next year coaching the Carolina baseball team but if the current trend continues it will be on a short leash. If anything, he's going to have to make some staff changes. Having a bad year is one thing, but we're losing to high school equivalent teams during the week and by touchdown scores during the weekend to SEC opponents. Ray knows this is not acceptable baseball. The thing that probably stands out the most is the fan support. Were there 750 Carolina fans in the stadium tonight in a prime time SEC matchup? If there were, I didn't see that many in seats and I expect that downward trend to continue sadly enough. Chad will get next year to show improvement but keep in mind we lose a lot of offense in Martin, Caldwell and Schrock and probably lose Crowe for the year too. Sorry but I don't see Chad turning this around any time soon or maybe at all because I believe he's better suited as an assistant and recruiter-not a manager. Remember when LSU fired Smoke Laval because he couldn't replace a legend. They then went on to win another CWS title in '09 under Mainieri and are consistently a top 10 team. Chad will get more time to right the ship but if this trend continues change is necessary.

This post was edited on 4/16 11:37 PM by sclawman77

Originally posted by sclawman77:
Chad will definitely be back next year coaching the Carolina baseball team but if the current trend continues it will be on a short leash. If anything, he's going to have to make some staff changes. Having a bad year is one thing, but we're losing to high school equivalent teams during the week and by touchdown scores during the weekend to SEC opponents. Ray knows this is not acceptable baseball. The thing that probably stands out the most is the fan support. Were there 750 Carolina fans in the stadium tonight in a prime time SEC matchup? If there were, I didn't see that many in seats and I expect that downward trend to continue sadly enough. Chad will get next year to show improvement but keep in mind we lose a lot of offense in Martin, Caldwell and Schrock and probably lose Crowe for the year too. Sorry but I don't see Chad turning this around any time soon or maybe at all because I believe he's better suited as an assistant and recruiter-not a manager. Remember when LSU fired Smoke Laval because he couldn't replace a legend. They then went on to win another CWS title in '09 under Mainieri and are consistently a top 10 team. Chad will get more time to right the ship but if this trend continues change is necessary.
+1.

you're both joking, right? this isn't a blip or some recent trend, this spans his career as a head coach at south carolina. if he gets more time, attendance will drop below 250(family and friends)

this is our most successful sports program and one of the best jobs in college baseball. it doesn't take rebuilding, we've been recruiting at an elite level for years. hire and fire at will till you get results.

Under Chad,
2013 Lost in the Super Regional against UNC (who we should have beaten) costly errors when leading in 3 games. 50% Ray's players / 50% Chad's players

2014 Lost in the Regional against Maryland (who we should have beaten) bad coaching decision on the pitching rotation in the Regional. 25% Ray's players / 75% Chad's players

2015 Not making the SEC Tourney... Season over... Less 10% Ray's players / 90% Chad's players

I thought having new asst coaches may help, but it could be a deeper problem than the coaches...

This post was edited on 4/17 8:59 AM by world famous 3rd base hecklers

With the players we are losing after this year, we won't be worse next year, but the outlook next year is not good at all.

Originally posted by Rollerdude123:
With the players we are losing after this year, we won't be worse next year, but the outlook next year is not good at all.
How can we not be worse? Everybody that can hit will be gone.

Chad will definitely be back next year coaching the Carolina baseball team but if the current trend continues it will be on a short leash. If anything, he's going to have to make some staff changes. Having a bad year is one thing, but we're losing to high school equivalent teams during the week and by touchdown scores during the weekend to SEC opponents. Ray knows this is not acceptable baseball. The thing that probably stands out the most is the fan support. Were there 750 Carolina fans in the stadium tonight in a prime time SEC matchup? If there were, I didn't see that many in seats and I expect that downward trend to continue sadly enough. Chad will get next year to show improvement but keep in mind we lose a lot of offense in Martin, Caldwell and Schrock and probably lose Crowe for the year too. Sorry but I don't see Chad turning this around any time soon or maybe at all because I believe he's better suited as an assistant and recruiter-not a manager. Remember when LSU fired Smoke Laval because he couldn't replace a legend[/B]. They then went on to win another CWS title in '09 under Mainieri and are consistently a top 10 team. Chad will get more time to right the ship but if this trend continues change is necessary.

Ahhh yes.....

Originally posted by Cocky kebo57:
Next year we will still have holbroken, but we lose schrock, Martin, and Caldwell, our most consistent hitters. I see it only getting worse!
what makes you think we'll still have holbrook next year? i dont know much about the situation regarding his employment other than the obvious struggles on the field right now.

the trending decline of the team coupled with hitting rock bottom this season screams that a coach should be fired or demoted at the least. and i just cant see where he would want to or be allowed to stay on as an assistant in this situation.

so what makes you think he'll be back? buyout too much? too good of friends with tanner? you think he deserves more time? source close to the program?
This post was edited on 4/17 9:05 AM by gamecock_07

Originally posted by world famous 3rd base hecklers:

Under Chad,

2014 Lost in the Regional against Maryland (who we should have beaten) bad coaching decision on the pitching rotation in the Regional. 25% Ray's players / 75% Chad's players
May very well have beaten the Terps had the team not been ravaged by injuries.

Originally posted by atl-cock:
Originally posted by world famous 3rd base hecklers:

Under Chad,

May very well have beaten the Terps had the team not been ravaged by injuries.
you recall that much differently than i do. i recall getting beat by what i thought looked like the better team on the field.

i did look back at the boxscores and while i seem to recall pankake and greiner dealing with injuries, they both played as did all of our other usual guys last year.

the most shocking thing i noticed, and this is hindsight, but our best two pitchers threw against campbell (montgomery & crowe)

we just got flat out beat by maryland.

As I've said before, and many poo-pooed the concept, Chad will be here next year, but you will see a change in pitching coach and the hiring of a true hitting coach. I do agree that the leash will be short next year.

BTW...we won't see Crowe again until opening day 2017. He'll sit next year.

Time for a change at least with assistants. We may be able to improve next season with some JUCOs.

Bad_News_Bears.jpg

This post was edited on 4/17 10:34 AM by lexgamecock

This post was edited on 4/17 10:35 AM by lexgamecock

Originally posted by USCBatgirl21:

As I've said before, and many poo-pooed the concept, Chad will be here next year, but you will see a change in pitching coach and the hiring of a true hitting coach. I do agree that the leash will be short next year.

thats about the only way i'd be able to accept keeping holbrook as the head man. maybe winning helps the attitude of the team but they also look listless and have since day one. maybe we need to hire a life coach too.

The thing folks need to remember about that Maryland Saturday game...had that ball hit by KMart been 5 inches higher, we win Saturday, and I truly believe we win the Regional. Truly a "game of inches".
in most games there are multiple close calls whether it be a bang bang play, called strike/ball, foul ball down the line etc that can swing momentum. so while what you said is true and we may have won if martins ball went out, we had trouble hitting all season, saw the same base running blunders, fielding was bad and when we needed to man up the most in the elimination game, we couldnt. we got shut down by some guys off marylands staff that were neither their top 2 guys or even star closer.

for me, thats what important to remember about last seasons finals because basically every single problem we had last year has gotten exponentially worse.

Originally posted by gamecock_07:

thats about the only way i'd be able to accept keeping holbrook as the head man. maybe winning helps the attitude of the team but they also look listless and have since day one. maybe we need to hire a life coach too.
So true. That Friday CofC game, they looked like they had the attitude "well all we have to do is show up and we'll win". Not so fast folks...and not against CofC.

Originally posted by wcocat:
Hiolbrook=Horn. Same pattern. Same result.
Good call, but one exception. Horn inherited a .500 level team that occasionally made & did well in the NIT. Holbroke inherited THE PREMIERE baseball program in these United States.

The thing folks need to remember about that Maryland Saturday game...had that ball hit by KMart been 5 inches higher, we win Saturday, and I truly believe we win the Regional. Truly a "game of inches".
I think we gave away that regional by using Monty against Campbell first game... This was the pitching rotation I was hoping for Wynkoop, Monty, and Crowe, but we went with Monty, Wynkoop & Crowe...

I cut the TV on at the worst possible time. The score was 1-0 5th inning and the first thing I see is our stadium 75% empty. Then I am repulsed by the Vanderbilt uniforms. Shortly after that I see our pitcher, who had given up one run, being replaced by another pitcher who promptly gives up three more runs topped by an error on first base. That was the end for me. No more baseball this year. June Raines all over again.

While I believe the coaching is bad, there is talent on this team. The kids have to take pride and step up their game. Our players were highly recruited. We have talent. At some point the players have to take pride and play. This game isn't that hard. I think coaching is sometimes overrated in baseball. No reason for us to be this bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT