ADVERTISEMENT

Name a power 5 program that is historically very much like ours

SpurrierWalkedOnBeer

May 8, 2020
Criteria:

-number of conference titles/division titles can be counted on 1 hand
-never played in a traditional New Years bowl game (Gator, Outback, & Citrus aren’t)
-huge W/L discrepancy vs arch rival

I’ll hang up & listen.

Without delving into statistics, it's safe to say Oregon, Northwestern, Wisconsin were laughably bad teams for a long time until recent (20ish) years. Oregon turned it around with Nike money, Wisconsin by developing a singular style and fitting recruiting to it, and Northwestern hired a good coach and rode him. But it was a long time getting there. Since we are now an unwanted program, we may as well ride Beamer and expect it will be bumpy, but maybe it works eventually.

Without delving into statistics, it's safe to say Oregon, Northwestern, Wisconsin were laughably bad teams for a long time until recent (20ish) years. Oregon turned it around with Nike money, Wisconsin by developing a singular style and fitting recruiting to it, and Northwestern hired a good coach and rode him. But it was a long time getting there. Since we are now an unwanted program, we may as well ride Beamer and expect it will be bumpy, but maybe it works eventually.

None of those 3 are even remotely comparable.

Right now, I’m thinking California & Iowa St. Trying to think of more.

Reactions: king ward
None of those 3 are even remotely comparable.

Right now, I’m thinking California & Iowa St. Trying to think of more.
No, not over the entire history. But, entering the 90s, all were very bad. They all turned it around, interestingly, by hiring internally or hiring assistants.

Criteria:

-never played in a traditional New Years bowl game (Gator, Outback, & Citrus aren’t)

I’ll hang up & listen.
Illinois, NC State, and Baylor all have about the same win total and very similar results throughout the history of their programs.

Reactions: SCexpat38
Let's switch rivals with Kansas and see how that plays out.
Throughout history, Clemson has been a mediocre to slightly above average program nationally. Prior to the Dabo era, even including the Spurrier era, our record against them is pathetic.

Criteria:

I’ll hang up & listen.
We have played in the Gator and Outback bowls.

Reactions: cadcock
I’ve said this before NC State is very much like us. Overall series is 28-26-4. Had we dropped the last meeting we would have been tied after 58 meetings. Hard to get much closer than that. I would argue our overall success mirrors each other as well.

I’m thinking Louisville. Spent some time as an independent, they did rack up some
conference titles but they were in Conf USA and Big East. Have a Heisman winner too. They did play in the Orange Bowl in 2006 but it was against Wake Forest so that doesn’t really count.

Illinois, NC State, and Baylor all have about the same win total and very similar results throughout the history of their programs.

Illinois has multiple Rose Bowl appearances. Baylor has multiple Cotton Bowl appearances.

Arizona is very similar. Good seasons here and there, but never quite able to get over the hump.

Arizona has a few Fiesta Bowl appearances. They also lead their series with their arch rival.

We have played in the Gator and Outback bowls.

Can you read?

Criteria:

I’ll hang up & listen.
Never played in a NYs day bowl game? We have played in the Outback Bowl like 3-4 times? We played LSU in the Gator Bowl in 87... ? How would that be a criteria here? How are they not counting? You cant just make stuff up.. The Gator Bowl was played on or around NY for Decades so was the Outback...

Never played in a NYs day bowl game? We have played in the Outback Bowl like 3-4 times? We played LSU in the Gator Bowl in 87... ? How would that be a criteria here? How are they not counting? You cant just make stuff up..
I think he means the old-time January 1st legacy games: Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Rose Bowl. Those games had conference championship tie-ins which meant highly ranked teams and national championship implications. The Fiesta Bowl became the fifth and gained prominence because of some of the big-time matchups it got to host, especially hearkening back to the time when there were several big-time independents to draw from. The Outback, Citrus, Gator, etc. have never had that kind of clout.

We'll keep getting more of the same until the Good Ole Boy system is taken behind the barn and shot.

Here’s one that takes it a step farther: we are the state flagship school. Clemson is the ag college. In nearly every other state, the flagship university is superior, often far superior.

What’s our excuse? It has to be the formation of the BOT.

I think he means the old-time January 1st legacy games: Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Rose Bowl. Those games had conference championship tie-ins which meant highly ranked teams and national championship implications. The Fiesta Bowl became the fifth and gained prominence because of some of the big-time matchups it got to host, especially hearkening back to the time when there were several big-time independents to draw from. The Outback, Citrus, Gator, etc. have never had that kind of clout.
Right. Just because a game is played on Jan 1 does not make it a traditional New Years Day bowl. Those other games are like most bowl games - giving the coach some bragging rights, standing with the fans, with potential recruits, etc. After all, he can say "We played in a New Years bowl"... even though it was a 2nd tier NY bowl.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Never played in a NYs day bowl game? We have played in the Outback Bowl like 3-4 times? We played LSU in the Gator Bowl in 87... ? How would that be a criteria here? How are they not counting? You cant just make stuff up.. The Gator Bowl was played on or around NY for Decades so was the Outback...

Simply read post #23

I gotcha... the crew that wound up as “BCS” Bowls basically? That now comprise the playoffs..

Reactions: DrMickey
Here’s one that takes it a step farther: we are the state flagship school. Clemson is the ag college. In nearly every other state, the flagship university is superior, often far superior.

What’s our excuse? It has to be the formation of the BOT.
100%.

Reactions: F-86F
I’m thinking Louisville. Spent some time as an independent, they did rack up some
conference titles but they were in Conf USA and Big East. Have a Heisman winner too. They did play in the Orange Bowl in 2006 but it was against Wake Forest so that doesn’t really count.
They beat UF in the 2012 Sugar Bowl, so that would count.

Duke, Iowa State are perhaps the best matches. Northwestern and Kansas State are close. Today's New Years Games don't qualify for being "New Years" games. They are really just part of the devaluation of all bowl games except the playoff games.

I find unc and us similar. Both can make right hires and recruit really well and have decent results. Both programs tend to come off the tracks and struggle at a regular rate as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT