ADVERTISEMENT

Napier's Ragin' Cajuns on Friday at 8:30 ESPN

According to Kornblut, Caslen is strongly pushing for someone with Head Coaching experience. GOOD (and in my opinion, WISE). Caslen will make the final decision. Napier is asking for an increase in the recruiting budget for more personnel in the recruiting office and other support staff. According to Kornblut, Napier is basing his request on how Nick Saban's recruiting operation is set up at Alabama. It looks like that's the hold up in bringing Napier here for what I believe would be a generational change in South Carolina football.

I suppose it's easy for me to sit here, and say give Napier the recruiting support he is asking for. I know that when Dabo became Head Coach, he asked Clemson for changes, which I assume was in the same area that Napier is asking for. The rest, as they say, is Clemson history. Are we willing to make the same commitment? I don't know. But, remember when Steve Spurrier made the same comment/question that Boston Red Sox fans used to make: "Why Not Us?"? Well, now we may know the answer to "Why Not Us?".

Make a change as in start cheating like they did in the 80's. So yeah, if we get serious, and cheat the right way, we can build a pretty good football program here.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Be not deceived. The General is running the search. If the General weren't running the search, Beamer would have been named already. Tanner wants Beamer because Spurrier's boys want him. The General wants a head coach if we can get one, which is the reason Monken's name came up early and why we are waiting on Napier now. A long time sizable donor has imparted this to me.
False. Tanner wants Beamer because at the changing of the guard he asked Hyman who within the Spurrier tree did he see as someone who would make a great head coach; Shane Beamer was Hyman’s response. The players are just verification.

Say, aren’t you the one that opined that Gilmore couldn’t cover and Lattimore was soft 😀

False. Tanner wants Beamer because at the changing of the guard he asked Hyman who within the Spurrier tree did he see as someone who would make a great head coach; Shane Beamer was Hyman’s response. The players are just verification.

Say, aren’t you the one that opined that Gilmore couldn’t cover and Lattimore was soft 😀
The latter statement was imprudent and I apologized for it. The former related to an earlier point in the player's career (here) when it was true. And your assertion about Tanner's sponsorship of Beamer only serves to verify my statement as to who is carrying water for whom.

Shane Beamer represents something different. He has a unique story, and if you watch him coach, he is a VERY gifted communicator and teacher. Napier's fine. I believe he's the safe, establishment pick. He even looks like every man's football coach. I understand why people like him. I dont dislike him. Beamer's a gamechanger, and the first school that hires him as a HC will be very lucky. I hope it's USC.

Be not deceived. The General is running the search. If the General weren't running the search, Beamer would have been named already. Tanner wants Beamer because Spurrier's boys want him. The General wants a head coach if we can get one, which is the reason Monken's name came up early and why we are waiting on Napier now. A long time sizable donor has imparted this to me.

@king ward I always enjoy your commentary. Are you a true insider knowing that the General has taken command of the situation or is this just speculation? I will hang up and listen.

USCALUMNI

Do you believe that letting the president micromanage the athletic department is in bad form?
It's situational. I like an AD with autonomy provided he/she has proven himself/herself competent. We've had reason to question that in the current AD based on the last previous search.

This decision is of huge importance. If the President is taking an active role, it's because the Board wants him to do so. Heavy involvement of a president with the Board's consent in a discrete situation like this one would not constitute micromanaging. Taking over day to day operation of the athletic department would.

It's situational. I like an AD with autonomy provided he/she has proven himself/herself competent. We've had reason to question that in the current AD based on the last previous search.

This decision is of huge importance. If the President is taking an active role, it's because the Board wants him to do so. Heavy involvement of a president with the Board's consent in a discrete situation like this one would not constitute micromanaging. Taking over day to day operation of the athletic department would.
So that one hire of Muschamp is some indicator of overall incompetence? The board wants it? Do we trust the board?

Do you think he would handle the next volleyball coach hire?
That's a ridiculous analogy, how much revenue does our volleyball team generate? The Muschamp mistake coupled with that ridiculous buyout he authorized makes it necessary to have other other eyes carefully looking over Ray's shoulders. You can bet that in any business, a bad decision that cost millions would either result in the employee being dismissed or you can bet your ass future decisions by that employee would be carefully scrutinized.

That's a ridiculous analogy, how much revenue does our volleyball team generate? The Muschamp mistake coupled with that ridiculous buyout he authorized makes it necessary to have other other eyes carefully looking over Ray's shoulders. You can bet that in any business, a bad decision that cost millions would either result in the employee being dismissed or you can bet your ass future decisions by that employee would be carefully scrutinized.
Say what you want about Ray and the job he's done, but for the president to make the call on who to hire for football coach is a horrible overstep of power and a grievous misallocation of leadership.

A portion of the Board may want it. But, I will tell you that Caslen doesn't have the support of the whole Board, not even close.

I'm a pragmatist. I would prefer to focus on this process and what it yields. Right now, that is what matters.
I care more about the long term implications, the Guv strong armed him into office and now seems to have complete control of him. They all should have stayed out of this....we are heading back fast to the Old Carolina.

What the Hell was THAT?!? Why take the safety? It was like the high snaps had them spooked but he just gave them the ball back only up 3 now!!! Terrible call, AWFUL sequence all around by Napier... This is a total choke job regardless of the final outcome! Terrible coaching!!

I care more about the long term implications, the Guv strong armed him into office and now seems to have complete control of him. They all should have stayed out of this....we are heading back fast to the Old Carolina.
With respect to this particular situation, If they'd had the right man in one particular spot, this would have looked a lot different. Weakness there made other machinations necessary. That mistake happened several years before the perceived mistake you're talking about was ever imagined.

With respect to this particular situation, If they'd had the right man in one particular spot, this would have looked a lot different. Weakness there made other machinations necessary. That mistake happened several years before the perceived mistake you're talking about was ever imagined.
You and I disagree whether they have the right guy in the one spot. He made one bad hire in Muschamp (which wasn;t even his first or second choice). His other duties as AD have been unquestionably good. Foley at UF made many more bad hires, but he's a "professional." Spare me.

Reactions: Silver_Coconut
You and I disagree whether they have the right guy in the one spot. He made one bad hire in Muschamp (which wasn;t even his first or second choice). His other duties as AD have been unquestionably good. Foley at UF made many more bad hires, but he's a "professional." Spare me.
I don't remember bringing up Foley. It's inarguable that his high-water mark was a markedly better than we've ever seen around here, though.

Typically, when you're really bad at one of the most important parts of your job, you don't keep that job. Tanner blew not only coaching hires, he compounded them with contract extensions and pay raises, which meant we kept coaches past the point when we knew they were going to fail. Then we paid them off anyway.

Reactions: king ward
I don't remember bringing up Foley. It's inarguable that his high-water mark was a markedly better than we've ever seen around here, though.
His "high-water" mark was in freakin' Florida, where you can throw a rock and hit a 5-star recruit....and, yet, he missed on more coaches than Tanner has.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT