ADVERTISEMENT

Napier's Ragin' Cajuns on Friday at 8:30 ESPN

Typically, when you're really bad at one of the most important parts of your job, you don't keep that job. Tanner blew not only coaching hires, he compounded them with contract extensions and pay raises, which meant we kept coaches past the point when we knew they were going to fail. Then we paid them off anyway.
Our payout for Muschamp is lower than most coaches in the SEC. And he's missed on Muschamp,....period. The facilities he has gotten built during his tenure should attract a coach....but we will see how Caslen and our Guv does with that.

Our payout for Muschamp is lower than most coaches in the SEC. And he's missed on Muschamp,....period. The facilities he has gotten built during his tenure should attract a coach....but we will see how Caslen and our Guv does with that.
Lord, you're a bitter man.....bitter!

I care more about the long term implications, the Guv strong armed him into office and now seems to have complete control of him. They all should have stayed out of this....we are heading back fast to the Old Carolina.

Especially when the Governor happens to be a Tater....like Tricky Nikki.

Reactions: rogue cock
You marginalize yourself when you try to favorably compare Tanner with Jeremy Foley.
No, I don't. Tanner did a great job at USC....built facilities, has our student-athletes at the top of the conference academically, no issues with student-athletes getting in trouble, and all women's and men's sports are competitive, other than football and maybe, basketball. Foley has done far less....except with his hire of Mullins.

You and I disagree whether they have the right guy in the one spot. He made one bad hire in Muschamp (which wasn;t even his first or second choice). His other duties as AD have been unquestionably good. Foley at UF made many more bad hires, but he's a "professional." Spare me.
I agree that Ray has handled many of his duties beyond hiring coaches well... but apparently you forget he has messed up TWO BASEBALL hires as well? Odd considering what an incredible baseball coach he was. He has a terrible record hiring coaches. He has done fine moving along improvements, engaging with the right people, keeping the money rolling in (until covid)... He has FIRED people when needed even in difficult circumstances... but again multiple bad hires it certainly is not just Muschamp.

Reactions: king ward
I agree that Ray has handled many of his duties beyond hiring coaches well... but apparently you forget he has messed up TWO BASEBALL hires as well? Odd considering what an incredible baseball coach he was. He has a terrible record hiring coaches. He has done fine moving along improvements, engaging with the right people, keeping the money rolling in (until covid)... He has FIRED people when needed even in difficult circumstances... but again multiple bad hires it certainly is not just Muschamp.
Again, we’re only talking about coaches here. It is the ADs responsibility to hire and fire coaches. It is not the presidents of the university.

The first hire....he really didn't have another choice. He should have fired him a year earlier...no doubt. The second went to the super regionals his first year, had a bad second year which anyone who closely followed the team knew would happen.....can't lose that much on the pitching staff and be successful. He has had two top notch recruiting classes the past two years. Just be patient.

There's only one thing that matters in this context: where our athletic program is, particularly the football aspect, five years from now as opposed to now.
Tanner is a failure and he'll be gone soon but not soon enough. It's absurd we hired a coach to run an athletic dept. It's what Tennessee did and look how that's going.

NO to Billy. That intentional safety last night, might have been one of the top 5 dumbest decisions I've ever seen in football. It doesn't matter the outcome. Nope, can't do it.

You're an outstanding poster and fan, but if we've reached the point where dismissiveness is the best you can do in talking to me, consider the ignore button.
It just doesn’t make sense Ward. It seems like you’re trying to justify a gross overreach of power by the board and the president to make a judgement on who might win more football games.

It just doesn’t make sense Ward. It seems like you’re trying to justify a gross overreach of power by the board and the president to make a judgement on who might win more football games.
I understand who is subordinate to whom in the hierarchy. Other people are trying to say that the superior is not allowed to direct the subordinate.

They observe them. Sure. They trust the dean or department chair to make the hire.
No, they don't. The entire Gamecock Nation does not scrutinize those matters. We don't even care about them. But this coaching acquisition is as visible and bandied about as it gets. This and the other Gamecock boards, plus social media, are proof of it.

No, they don't. The entire Gamecock Nation does not scrutinize those matters. We don't even care about them. But this coaching acquisition is as visible and bandied about as it gets. This and the other Gamecock boards, plus social media, are proof of it.
You’re right. No other hire is as visible as this one, bit that is utterly irrelevant since consistency is a primary tenet of effective leadership.

You’re right. No other hire is as visible as this one, bit that is utterly irrelevant since consistency is a primary tenet of effective leadership.
Exigent circumstances. I'm going to watch what happens. We have optimally a 30%-40% chance of achieving perennial football success in Columbia regardless of who is chosen and by what process. I'm hoping for the best. I'm about to turn 70.

Exigent circumstances. I'm going to watch what happens. We have optimally a 30%-40% chance of achieving perennial football success in Columbia regardless of who is chosen and by what process. I'm hoping for the best. I'm about to turn 70.
Exigency dictates that the AD make the hire. That’s not the presidents job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT