ADVERTISEMENT

Napier's Ragin' Cajuns on Friday at 8:30 ESPN

I don’t get it.

What do you mean in a technical sense? Ray is running the search. Yes, there are others, like Caslen involved. That is always the case. But the primary radministrator is Ray. You are speculating otherwise. If you have definite information then say so.
You can definitely be the primary administrator and not the final decision maker. Happens much of the time.

I hope Napier comes. He'd be the first young, proven, successful Head Coach we have ever hired, who turned around a program. It's hard to believe we have never gone that route. App. State was already an established winning program when Woods took over in Boone. But, I think we will end up with Beamer. And I will certainly support and cheer him on if it's him.

I love what Tanner did as a baseball coach. I'll always appreciate him for that. But, it seems to me that Tanner is easily susceptible to being conned. Am I alone with that feeling? I mean he hired a failed football coach to take over from Spurrier. Then when that football coach had an above-average 2nd season, he gave him an unbelievable high buyout contract. Under General Caslen's leadership, Army found the man to turn around their football fortunes. All I can say is that I hope that General Caslen gets his man (Napier).
He's too much in his feelings. Muschamp's resume was terrible. He thought he would be loyal and that his players loved him and that he would recruit better than the previous 20 years. It was a gross miscalculation based on emotion. I really believe Ray Tanner probably cried when he had to fire Muschamp. That's who he is. That's not what we need as an AD.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
There seems to be some disagreement. Tanner walked in with a top candidate, but other forces have intervened. I would not be surprised if Tanner asked for and was bought out of the remainder of his contract allowing him full retirement...and let the others figure out how to raise money and get along with the large donors. Tanner had the full backing of Pastides and the BOT (at least those who matter).
I think this would be best for all parties. Ray would preserve his legacy as our greatest baseball coach in history while tamping down the vitriol coming his way due to his coaching hires. And we could once again hire a true professional in the vein of Hyman or McGee to run a multimillion dollar athletic department without getting so emotionally attached.

Reactions: 75CarolinaFan
Gotcha.....seems our two sources disagree on what is going on. This would explain the military acronym he used.
My thing about Tanner supposedly preferring Napier is that the former players that are in the tank for Beamer were the ones that were praising Tanner for how he handled their Zoom meeting. Also, multiple sources are reporting that Caslen is the one that prefers a HC with experience. 🤷‍♂️

I think this would be best for all parties. Ray would preserve his legacy as our greatest baseball coach in history while tamping down the vitriol coming his way due to his coaching hires. And we could once again hire a true professional in the vein of Hyman or McGee to run a multimillion dollar athletic department without getting so emotionally attached.
McGee? Ugh....he didn't believe we needed improved facilities. Hyman was a great planner...no doubt, but really didn't have the interpersonal skills needed to get large amounts of money from boosters for the projects. During his tenure, Spurrier did a great job at that. Tanner had the ability that Hyman lacked and made Hyman's plans come to life. Need to find someone that has both their skill sets.

My thing about Tanner supposedly preferring Napier is that the former players that are in the tank for Beamer were the ones that were praising Tanner for how he handled their Zoom meeting. Also, multiple sources are reporting that Caslen is the one that prefers a HC with experience. 🤷‍♂️
I just know what I've heard.....and what Tanner has said previously on his qualification requirements for a HC. He has always wanted HC experience. What I've heard matches up with his previous statements.

McGee? Ugh....he didn't believe we needed improved facilities. Hyman was a great planner...no doubt, but really didn't have the interpersonal skills needed to get large amounts of money from boosters for the projects. During his tenure, Spurrier did a great job at that. Tanner had the ability that Hyman lacked and made Hyman's plans come to life. Need to find someone that has both their skill sets.
McGee was far from perfect. But outside of Fat Brad, he made some pretty good coaching hires.

Hyman made a couple of good hires too (Martin and Staley.) But he also oversaw the building of Carolina Stadium and the Dodie, if I'm not mistaken. He also dragged our fanbase and boosters out of the Dark Ages by daring to be unpopular and upping ticket prices and instituting seat license fees to help with fundraising.

Also, he famously told the SEC to go suck an egg when Birmingham asked us to move our game against Bama so we wouldn't be coming off a bye week. He held his ground and we won the game. It was beautiful.

Reactions: rogue cock
I just know what I've heard.....and what Tanner has said previously on his qualification requirements for a HC. He has always wanted HC experience. What I've heard matches up with his previous statements.
Baby will get lucky and they are both on board with Napier and they're just trying to figure out how to let down the former players that were lobbying for Beamer?

McGee was far from perfect. But outside of Fat Brad, he made some pretty good coaching hires.

Hyman made a couple of good hires too (Martin and Staley.) But he also oversaw the building of Carolina Stadium and the Dodie, if I'm not mistaken. He also dragged our fanbase and boosters out of the Dark Ages by daring to be unpopular and upping ticket prices and instituting seat license fees to help with fundraising.

Also, he famously told the SEC to go suck an egg when Birmingham asked us to move our game against Bama so we wouldn't be coming off a bye week. He held his ground and we won the game. It was beautiful.
Hyman did a great job. But Carolina Stadium was all Tanner....Hyman left that to him. The Dodie is the one that I credit Spurrier with, he did a great job in dealing with Ms. Anderson.

Seen posted elsewhere that BOT want Beamer, Caslen wants Napier.

That would emasculate the General. He's got more balls than all of them. The odd man here is Tanner.
I wouldn't be surprised if Tanner has pulled himself out at this point. He has always had a great relationship with Board....and he does not need to get into a pissing match at this point in his career.

The General's preference is self-evident by the entire conduct of this process so far.
Not really. The only name at the beginning of this was Napier and that was when Tanner was the only "decision-maker" mentioned in the search....and then others got involved. The timeline tells otherwise. Caslen's name really began picking up when the Beamer tweet and the support of his players and some donors began.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tanner has pulled himself out at this point. He has always had a great relationship with Board....and he does not need to get into a pissing match at this point in his career.
He was handpicked to act as their surrogate. But he has suffered a lot of damage. The decline of men's sports will be laid at somebody's feet, and it ain't gonna be theirs.

He was handpicked to act as their surrogate. But he has suffered a lot of damage. The decline of men's sports will be laid at somebody's feet, and it ain't gonna be theirs.
He's suffered a lot of damage among the average fan....but not the large donors, the Board, or the athletic department. His ability to get projects going and completed, the great improvement in the academic performance of our athletes, the operating of the athletic department as a whole, and the great relationship he has among the coaches, all weigh much heavier than missing on Muschamp. People forget he also kept Staley when her alma mater came hard after her....that was all on the relationship they had developed.

Not really. The only name at the beginning of this was Napier and that was when Tanner was the only "decision-maker" mentioned in the search....and then others got involved. The timeline tells otherwise. Caslen's name really began picking up when the Beamer tweet and the support of his players and some donors began.
If it were up to Tanner, he would have named Beamer when Beamer was the clear popular choice. It would have been the easy choice. But somebody put on the brakes. That it didn't happen already says a lot. It might wind up being Beamer, but not before the General makes a run at Napier. When it's all over, Tanner will be made to appear the lynchpin. That looks better, but it won't be true.

If it were up to Tanner, he would have named Beamer when Beamer was the clear popular choice. It would have been the easy choice. But somebody put on the brakes. That it didn't happen already says a lot. It might wind up being Beamer, but not before the General makes a run at Napier. When it's all over, Tanner will be made to appear the lynchpin. That looks better, but it won't be true.
As I previously noted, your information is obviously much different than mine.

According to Kornblut, Caslen is strongly pushing for someone with Head Coaching experience. GOOD (and in my opinion, WISE). Caslen will make the final decision. Napier is asking for an increase in the recruiting budget for more personnel in the recruiting office and other support staff. According to Kornblut, Napier is basing his request on how Nick Saban's recruiting operation is set up at Alabama. It looks like that's the hold up in bringing Napier here for what I believe would be a generational change in South Carolina football.

I suppose it's easy for me to sit here, and say give Napier the recruiting support he is asking for. I know that when Dabo became Head Coach, he asked Clemson for changes, which I assume was in the same area that Napier is asking for. The rest, as they say, is Clemson history. Are we willing to make the same commitment? I don't know. But, remember when Steve Spurrier made the same comment/question that Boston Red Sox fans used to make: "Why Not Us?"? Well, now we may know the answer to "Why Not Us?".
I’m not saying that anything you’ve posted here is not true, but it does seem you‘re taking Kornblut’s word over Gamecock Central staff. Not sure I’d do that unless I had strong evidence to support such a choice.

As I previously noted, your information is obviously much different than mine.
I'm not claiming to know anything of my own knowledge. I am following a line of reasoning suggested by something I've been told by a person way more engaged than I am. Bottom line is this: if the right parties sit down in the next couple of days, and if certain assurances are made, it looks like Napier.

I'm not claiming to know anything of my own knowledge. I am following a line of reasoning suggested by something I've been told by a person way more engaged than I am. Bottom line is this: if the right parties sit down in the next couple of days, and if certain assurances are made, it looks like Napier.
I have zero personal knowledge also.....my information though sketchy came from a trustee who would be in a position to know a lot more than he is willing to say.

Reactions: king ward
Be not deceived. The General is running the search. If the General weren't running the search, Beamer would have been named already. Tanner wants Beamer because Spurrier's boys want him. The General wants a head coach if we can get one, which is the reason Monken's name came up early and why we are waiting on Napier now. A long time sizable donor has imparted this to me.
Thanks for coming as close as you can to identifying your source. I feel like I’m reading a bunch of fictional stories that are totally plausible, but devoid of evidential support. An anonymous long-time big donor is better than no source at all!

Reactions: king ward
I THINK that K Ward is saying that Tanner is doing the leg work and giving his thoughts. BUT, Caslen is making the call. And, I'm fine with that. Don't misunderstand. I don't want Monken. And I'm sure it won't be him, as the triple option works for the military academies, not the SEC. But, Caslen had the good judgment to pick Monken. And that has worked out great for Army and turned around their program. Based on Tanner's history as AD, I trust Caslen's judgement a lot, lot more than I do Tanner's. But, that's me.

Tanner loves our university and will do a professional job in finding a new coach. Nobody is perfect and will make mistakes, but the mindset of doing for the best interest of the school matters most to me.
I too have faith in a grown man and a professional to learn from mistakes. God knows I’ve been dumber than a stump so many times in my career, but I didn’t repeat the same mistake over and over. I believe that the average person can do the same. We have to hope Tanner is in that category.

Thanks for coming as close as you can to identifying your source. I feel like I’m reading a bunch of fictional stories that are totally plausible, but devoid of evidential support. An anonymous long-time big donor is better than no source at all!
I'm not sure how much he knows, but it's tracking like he knows something. The only thing that will stop what's happening will be if the coach declines his second interview or if we can't meet his specific requirements.

Reactions: Connecticock
Well, the refs must get a cut of his signing bonus if he hired because they came up with a phantom personal foul to negate the muffed punt and TD for Appy.
There was no personal foul. Never seen such BS as that.

That defense looks like ours against UGA so far. I hope he is better at adjustments than we are.

That would emasculate the General. He's got more balls than all of them. The odd man here is Tanner.
I'd trust his instincts about another man over just about anybody. I'd wager he can look you in the eye and tell if you will run or stand your ground when the bullets are flying.

Think their long snapper trying to blow the game in a bid to keep their coach at home 😂

(yes, I know it's terrible conditions there, was making a funny.)

ADVERTISEMENT