ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Davis (Re: the "Best dunker" thread)

92Pony

Jan 18, 2011
Thinking about Nate Davis, I thought it'd be really cool to find some old footage of him at USC. I didn't find anything exactly (there may be some out there, but I stopped searching after I got distracted by this vid), but I did find the YT video below. Seems as though he went to Spain and played. He was, of course, very good and developed quite a following over there. (You can turn on English subtitles in the vid, although the translation is auto-generated, so marginal at best. Lower-right, "cc" button, and then the gear icon to set for English)

Thinking about Nate Davis, I thought it'd be really cool to find some old footage of him at USC. I didn't find anything exactly (there may be some out there, but I stopped searching after I got distracted by this vid), but I did find the YT video below. Seems as though he went to Spain and played. He was, of course, very good and developed quite a following over there. (You can turn on English subtitles in the vid, although the translation is auto-generated, so marginal at best. Lower-right, "cc" button, and then the gear icon to set for English)

Last I heard he was with the Richland county sheriff dept.......time flies and that’s been yrs ago

Reactions: 92Pony

That video was very, very good!

The thing about Nate I remember most was his smile. And, he was virtually fearless going to the rim. Saw him play many times in person and on TV. He also had a very good mid range bank shot.

What a wonderful man, and unfortunate that his playing time was cut short. Really wonderful how he stood by his wife.

He is very fortunate to have such good family members.

I remember watching an edition of the weekly “Frank McGuire Show”. They were showing footage of some practice drills in the Carolina Coliseum from the previous week. Noticed that the old-style white backboard was in place rather than the usual “plexiglass”. Heard later that either earlier in that practice (or one just before) that Nate had broken the board throwing down a thunderous dunk!! Apparently, they didn’t just keep “spares” around!! The dunk was still illegal during games (or pre-game) up until maybe Nate’s senior year(??). Would have loved to see him throwin’ down in a Gamecock uni for 4 years!!

It was at a pre-game warm up when I saw Nate shatter the plexiglass backboard. I'll never forget his shocked expression when it happened.

It was at a pre-game warm up when I saw Nate shatter the plexiglass backboard. I'll never forget his shocked expression when it happened.
I was there also! I cannot remember what they did to fix the situation. did they have a replacement on hand?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT