ADVERTISEMENT

National Champion and that’s that!!

Agree. Might want to tap the brakes on that parade for a bit though...

Seriously though, I feel so bad for Coach Staley and her team. The championship was theirs to win this season. Hate it, hate it, hate it that we have seen this team, and particularly our seniors, play for the final time.

Last edited:
Uf being the top ranked baseball team this year is the national champion and now has 2 national championships in the sport. Lol 8P
An entire season and conference tourney being played is a bit different than a handful of baseball games. If the entire baseball season had been played and UF was no 1 then you should be the champion under these circumstances

An entire season and conference tourney being played is a bit different than a handful of baseball games. If the entire baseball season had been played and UF was no 1 then you should be the champion under these circumstances

In the end, it's officially just as empty. Neither USC nor uf is the champion in either sport. And frankly it's embarrassing on UCF-levels if it's taken seriously.

I know right? Apples and oranges. This South Carolina team has as much claim to a national title as the 96 Florida Gators football team. Both finished #1 in the final AP poll at the end of the season. There was no playoff in either case.

Hang the banner

Reactions: HeckSpawn
Screw what anyone else thinks — the last poll gave us 27 votes out of 30. That’s final. If it’s not awarded that way, then we claim it — parade and all!!!

And of those three ballots we didn't get, one had peanut butter and jelly smears on it, another had chaw bacca smudges and the third had both.

Virus is a joke
Sir, I am afraid you are going to be proved very, very wrong. The information is starting to come in....NO SOLUTION to this virus. It spreads by 10 to 20 people for every person that gets it. I saw an interesting video showing how long it would take to fill Yankee stadium to the roof (pretending it was a huge fish bowl)...and didn't leak. Starting with one drop and a minute later double it to two drops, then 4 drops and so on....and on.... how long in days, weeks or months would it take to fill it up on one minute intervals. (This reflects volume only....representing people in exponential form)….I guessed and said 2 months....well what is your guess? I was stunned....50 minutes. So, sir, with all due respect....DO YOUR HOMEWORK. The President and leaders of the world are not dummies. They see the TRAIN that is coming down this track and nothing can stop it other than the Good LORD and us doing the right things. By that I mean, we need to be praying diligently and taking care of each other...families, friends and business associates by stop assembling in large groups. Proper hygiene via hand cleanliness and other flu protocol. Protect yourself by not being around others if possible even at work. Until a vaccine is in place. I hope and pray I am wrong.

Sir, I am afraid you are going to be proved very, very wrong. The information is starting to come in....NO SOLUTION to this virus. It spreads by 10 to 20 people for every person that gets it. I saw an interesting video showing how long it would take to fill Yankee stadium to the roof (pretending it was a huge fish bowl)...and didn't leak. Starting with one drop and a minute later double it to two drops, then 4 drops and so on....and on.... how long in days, weeks or months would it take to fill it up on one minute intervals. (This reflects volume only....representing people in exponential form)….I guessed and said 2 months....well what is your guess? I was stunned....50 minutes. So, sir, with all due respect....DO YOUR HOMEWORK. The President and leaders of the world are not dummies. They see the TRAIN that is coming down this track and nothing can stop it other than the Good LORD and us doing the right things. By that I mean, we need to be praying diligently and taking care of each other...families, friends and business associates by stop assembling in large groups. Proper hygiene via hand cleanliness and other flu protocol. Protect yourself by not being around others if possible even at work. Until a vaccine is in place. I hope and pray I am wrong.
47 people passed so far and 26 from nursing home in Washington. We have too much fatal talk and panic. H1N1 was never ramped up like this with millions invected and multiple thousands of deaths.

Reactions: ConKreteCock
I know right? Apples and oranges. This South Carolina team has as much claim to a national title as the 96 Florida Gators football team. Both finished #1 in the final AP poll at the end of the season. There was no playoff in either case.

Hang the banner
What they didn't have then does not negate what they have in place now. Winning the championship depends on going through the mechanism that exists at any given time. I'd love to see a match game for all the marbles between us and Oregon, but they aren't going to do that, either.

What they didn't have then does not negate what they have in place now. Winning the championship depends on going through the mechanism that exists at any given time. I'd love to see a match game for all the marbles between us and Oregon, but they aren't going to do that, either.

There was a "mechanism in place" in 2003 and SoCal was still recognized as national champions because they finished the season ranked #1 in the AP poll.

71VyR-Jw%2BsL.jpg

Hang the Banner

Tell that to the x15 that have died from the actual flu! I don’t see you in a uproar about that.....

Difference is there is a vaccine for the flu. There isn't a vaccine for this. The CDC doesn't even know which animal it came from or whether it could further mutate.

It's not the same situation and the willful act of disregard to the facts above is disgraceful and selfish.

Screw what anyone else thinks — the last poll gave us 27 votes out of 30. That’s final. If it’s not awarded that way, then we claim it — parade and all!!!
FSU was declared the winner of the ACC tournament by virtue of its #1seed. We should be declared the winner of the women's national basketball championship

If Ray is worth his salt as an A.D. he should definitely make this push and claim it. With the type of season we had, its not really much of a stretch given a nearly consensus vote at #1, only 1 loss, conference champs, already beat 2 of 3 other 1 seeds, etc...We have the best claim to the national title given that there will never be a tourney to sort this season out. Schools have done this in other sports, so it is not exactly unprecedented. This is where an A.D. earns his money, and if our A.D. / board were smart we need to jump all over this opportunity that this team has earned.

If Ray is worth his salt as an A.D. he should definitely make this push and claim it. With the type of season we had, its not really much of a stretch given a nearly consensus vote at #1, only 1 loss, conference champs, already beat 2 of 3 other 1 seeds, etc...We have the best claim to the national title given that there will never be a tourney to sort this season out. Schools have done this in other sports, so it is not exactly unprecedented. This is where an A.D. earns his money, and if our A.D. / board were smart we need to jump all over this opportunity that this team has earned.

I'm 100% with you on this, especially when you consider Tanner is a former coach. He needs to show his best coach how much she is appreciated and send a message to every coach at USC that winning is rewarded. Who cares what everyone else thinks? Any comparison between our basketball program and UCF is absurd. We'll start next year as either preseason #1 or #2 with only one senior on the roster.

Reactions: gamecockblack
There was a "mechanism in place" in 2003 and SoCal was still recognized as national champions because they finished the season ranked #1 in the AP poll.

71VyR-Jw%2BsL.jpg

Hang the Banner
But that wasn't THE national championship since the BCS had been in force since 1998. Arguing over it isn't going to change who was recognized as the official national champion.

I think we should put up a banner for sure. They can word it as consensus no. 1 or whatever, but I agree with Dawn that we earned it.

Reactions: GeorgeMasonCock
But that wasn't THE national championship since the BCS had been in force since 1998. Arguing over it isn't going to change who was recognized as the official national champion.

All I can say is I have a long posting history venting my dislike of playoffs and tournaments. This is nothing new for me because it's a Carolina team involved. We have a right to claim a national championship based not only on the final AP poll but also the committee's final rankings.

If Oregon wants to hold a parade and claim a national title as well, more power to them. Ionescu deserves it.

We'll survive if there isn't an "official" champion. College football thrived without one for many years.

Last edited:
Agree. Might want to tap the brakes on that parade for a bit though...

Seriously though, I feel so bad for Coach Staley and her team. The championship was theirs to win this season. Hate it, hate it, hate it that we have seen this team, and particularly our seniors, play for the final time.

The NCAA can fix it. Fax them at 317-917-6888

All I can say is I have a long posting history venting my dislike of playoffs and tournaments. This is nothing new for me because it's a Carolina team involved. We have a right to claim a national championship based not only on the final AP poll but also the committee's final rankings.

If Oregon wants to hold a parade and claim a national title as well, more power to them. Ionescu deserves it.

We'll survive if there isn't an "official" champion. College football thrived without one for many years.
Right. In the past. What is happening now is relevant to now.

Is there anything that would prevent us from playing Oregon? Unsanctioned by NCAA? They can’t stop a group of people from getting together to play basketball.

Reactions: gamecockblack
The University needs to hang a banner in the CLA commemorating the nation's unanimous #1 team at the end of the season. It won't be an NCAA sanctioned championship, but this team cannot go unrecognized. We'll have SEC regular and tournament banners, but there needs to be something beyond that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT