ADVERTISEMENT

National media seems heartbroken Florence weakened

lawcalcock

Apr 8, 2016
I was browsing for storm updates and almost puked as media storm pundits seemed depressed the storm has weakened.. I just don't get!! It's as if they root for apocalyptic storms.. Don't they know we are dealing with real lives and the emotional weight of losing homes and possesions!!!

Honestly I think they missed this storm. Sure it'll be bad in some areas but they created some mass panic in two states and if this thing turns out to be not nearly as bad as they say, people will tune them out next time. I'm convinced the weather channel is in cahoots with water and bread companies and grocery stores.

I was browsing for storm updates and almost puked as media storm pundits seemed depressed the storm has weakened.. I just don't get!! It's as if they root for apocalyptic storms.. Don't they know we are dealing with real lives and the emotional weight of losing homes and possesions!!!
So many opinions flying around by newscasters. A lot of misinformation causing problems. Latest fun fact that this storm is going to be worse than Hugo.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
So many opinions flying around by newscasters. A lot of misinformation causing problems. Latest fun fact that this storm is going to be worse than Hugo.
That's exactly it. I've been so confused the more I listen to these people. I know storms can be tricky to predict but they've changed their models so much and it seems to be worse with every storm.

To be fair two days ago this storm was listed as a Cat 5. No one could have known that this storm would weaken in two days, if anything it would seem likely to maintain it's intensity.
Better to err on the side of caution.
So basically all meteorologists can do is observe and report. Prediction methods are still junk science.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
They absolutely salivate at destruction and heartache/break. It sells. I immediately think of Don Henley's song "Dirty Laundry".

To be fair two days ago this storm was listed as a Cat 5. No one could have known that this storm would weaken in two days, if anything it would seem likely to maintain it's intensity.
I know and agree but their models are so confusing. One model has me barely getting any floods (if any flooding) and another model has me losing power just like the people on the coast of NC and I'm in the middle of SC!

it is larger than Hugo I heard. Which is why large rain accumulation is coming to inland areas.

This storm hasn't made landfall so don't underestimate what kind of damage it can do. It can still wreak havoc with 12 foot storm surge along the coast and record breaking rainfall and flooding. The wind is only one element.

It can still have catastrophic effects after all is said and done. Water is what kills in these storms. It won't be nearly the wind maker that Hugo was, but the potential is there to be life changing for a lot of people.

It's dropped 10mph more since 8am and it's still 145 miles away. It'll be a gnat fart by the time it gets here. Swing and a miss, media.
I'm not understanding how you are coming to the conclusion that while the storm downgrades you are blaming the media for this.
They like the meteorologists can only report on current information and warn citizens of potential.

It's dropped 10mph more since 8am and it's still 145 miles away. It'll be a gnat fart by the time it gets here. Swing and a miss, media.
We were joking in my office this morning about how the media here in NC leads with sensational quotes like "residents think this could be the storm of the century!" But the residents only think that because the media is telling them/us that Florence could be the storm of the century.

So basically "we are reporting on you quoting back to us what we've reported to you."

We were joking in my office this morning about how the media here in NC leads with sensational quotes like "residents think this could be the storm of the century!" But the residents only think that because the media is telling them/us that Florence could be the storm of the century.

So basically "we are reporting on you quoting back to us what we've reported to you."
Every storm is now "the storm of the century, lifetime, millennium, etc". It's gotten old. They act like a hurricane during hurricane season is something shocking and rare. They hype up all these storms and 99% of the time they dont live up to the hype and we become numb to it.

I'm not understanding how you are coming to the conclusion that while the storm downgrades you are blaming the media for this.
They like the meteorologists can only report on current information and warn citizens of potential.
Im blaming them for always hyping these things to the point that every storm is "the storm of a lifetime!". They said the same thing during the last hurricane and the one before that and the one before that. It's all about ratings now more than getting out the best information so you can be informed. They live to terrify people over nothing.

it is larger than Hugo I heard. Which is why large rain accumulation is coming to inland areas.
The size is larger (which usually means more rain) but the winds will be nothing like Hugo.

I remember be out of power for 4-5 days because of the Hugo winds in West Columbia.

Proper civil engineering in areas to be hit should/will minimize the damage by heavy rain.
Hopefully we learned our lesson from last time and it won't be as much damage from flooding.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Honestly I think they missed this storm. Sure it'll be bad in some areas but they created some mass panic in two states and if this thing turns out to be not nearly as bad as they say, people will tune them out next time. I'm convinced the weather channel is in cahoots with water and bread companies and grocery stores.

I would add gas companies to that list,too! I filled up two of my cars this morning and several pumps were already out of gas. I live in WNC where the storm is not suppose to hit until late Sunday evening or Monday morning, at least from reports I heard early this morning.

Last edited:

Our newspaper, The McDowell News, headline read "Worst Storm in 25 Years".

Edit Correction: The actual headline read "Disaster is at the Doorstep". A smaller caption read "Worst Storm in 25 years".

Last edited:
Reactions: The Cool Cock
Every storm is now "the storm of the century, lifetime, millennium, etc". It's gotten old. They act like a hurricane during hurricane season is something shocking and rare. They hype up all these storms and 99% of the time they dont live up to the hype and we become numb to it.
I agree they hype them up a bit sometimes, but go visit Puerto Rico and see if those folks agree with you.

They may have missed a bit on this one, but they could just as easily been right if that high pressure system hadn't of sheered it a bit. I lived through Hugo like a lot of folks on here, and these storms are hard to predict. We had no clue in those days what we were in for. At least now the information is out there to get us ready.

I just watched the the weather person from WIS at North Myrtle Beach, she was telling us about terrible waves there and the wind, her hair was barely moving and the ocean looked like the surface of a pond. The visual and the narrative did not correspond.

Remember the ominous “cone of uncertainty”

They even name winter storms now.
Florence starting to resemble us in second half last weekend. But unlike then I want Florence to keep getting weaker.

point taken.. But there is more going on here.. Even though it's still a very dangerous storm.. We, all sane people, are happy it's no longer a cat4 of 5!! The media should be relieved it weakened.. The fact they seem sad about it indicates something wrong.. Something having nothing to do with weather or people being hurt!!

Supply and Demand - Watch Gas prices skyrocket
People were freaking out here in Charlotte.
I had a huge water container from tailgating left over from tailgating last week, my wife and mother in law thought it was me preparing for the hurricane to hit Charlotte.

So basically all meteorologists can do is observe and report. Prediction methods are still junk science.
but these are same folks who tell what the temperature will be 200 years from now.. They tells us if we submit to their communist taxes and regulations they can cool the earth by .03 degrees by the year 2100... I know they are full of shit!! My question is why does anyone believe them..

before someone says it! I believe in climate change!! I know earths climate is dynamic and been changing for 4.5billion years.. I also have the common sense to know taxation can't and won't stop it!! Cap and trade is the third biggest hoax of our lifetime!!

I agree they hype them up a bit sometimes, but go visit Puerto Rico and see if those folks agree with you.

They may have missed a bit on this one, but they could just as easily been right if that high pressure system hadn't of sheered it a bit. I lived through Hugo like a lot of folks on here, and these storms are hard to predict. We had no clue in those days what we were in for. At least now the information is out there to get us ready.
Our infrastructure is MUCH stronger and advanced than PR as well. They also didn't really have anywhere to retreat too. I know storms can get bad, really bad. My issue is not every storm can be the storm of a lifetime though because eventually that's going to fall on deaf ears. Many people also can't uproot themselves at the whim of the media and afford to be away for a week or more. Hugo was bad and to me that was a once in a lifetime storm, just like the ice storm we had a couple years ago but that doesn't mean every time it freezes and rains that that's the same result. Now every storm is going to flood the world because we had that bad flood and its fresh on people's minds.

The less cataclysmic the event, the harder it is to use it to puff the cause of climate change, formerly global warming.

I just watched the the weather person from WIS at North Myrtle Beach, she was telling us about terrible waves there and the wind, her hair was barely moving and the ocean looked like the surface of a pond. The visual and the narrative did not correspond.

Remember the ominous “cone of uncertainty”
Watch the camera they have on that big pier in NC. They are acting like it's a live feed but it isn't, they keep replaying the same 10 seconds over and over. Look real close. One big wave hit it and it rocked some, it took me several times of watching it and I was like "hmmm that wave looks the same as the one before.....wait a min that IS the same wave!"

My beef is with the impetuous decision-making. Precisely because we have better information available now, some of the earlier machinations might have been deferred for at least a day - and altered.

Puerto Rico was a catastrophe of corruption, mismanagement, incompetence and ignorance long before the added misery wrought by Hurricane Maria, which exposed to the world what was there to be seen all along: an island ill-prepared for a sunny day, much less a stormy one.

Good luck.

Well, it does affect the South which isn't the nat'l media's favorite region. Tuned out the liberal nat'l media years ago. They have an agenda and they push it 24/7.
They even name winter storms now.
Florence starting to resemble us in second half last weekend. But unlike then I want Florence to keep getting weaker.
Now that's funny.:)

Reactions: 92Pony
It's next to impossible to predict what these storms are going to do. I seem to remember them missing on several storms leading up to Hugo. People didn't seem to take Hugo too seriously. I remember people on the news at Edisto Beach saying they were having a hurricane party. SMH

The size is larger (which usually means more rain) but the winds will be nothing like Hugo.

I remember be out of power for 4-5 days because of the Hugo winds in West Columbia.

Proper civil engineering in areas to be hit should/will minimize the damage by heavy rain.
Hopefully we learned our lesson from last time and it won't be as much damage from flooding.
Which is why I mentioned rain vs wind.....rain will be our problem

Exactly. Check out the forecasts from SCDNR. Much more reasonable and sane.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT