ADVERTISEMENT

NC State fan here taking your questions!

Missed this. And honestly have no idea what this is. I was born in '88 and my dad is an Ole Miss graduate (i know, i know) so my NC State knowledge is lacking before like 1995, unless it is the big time things
This was the "biggest time thing" in our two schools playing one another, so far as I can remember. We still owe you guys a pounding!!!!!!

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Q: How do you keep NC State Wolfpack out of your yard?

He should have beaten somebody decent up at UPC last year. That missed field goal changed the season for three teams: yours, theirs, and Bama's

Maybe. After the Pitt loss Clemson was a different team. A loss to NC State could have had the same effect. But yeah, for a three game stretch they did not look like a champion team.

I am with ncrebel on the prediction. The pieces are there for ncsu to win (same can be said for USC), but until a Doeren team makes some noise I am going with USC. If SC's oline has improved enough to keep the ncsu front from forcing a bunch of 3-and-outs, its game on.

I considering myself level headed (and typically pessimistic when it comes to NCSU sports), so if you have any questions regarding NC State and/or the upcoming game, let's hear them.
What is your biggest concern regarding your matchup with our team?
Certainly I fear we won't be able to establish run game and Bentley will be under duress and not have his best game.

What is your biggest concern regarding your matchup with our team?
Certainly I fear we won't be able to establish run game and Bentley will be under duress and not have his best game.

Your WRs vs our secondary. Our secondary has 2 starters back and another that started 2-3 games last year (we play a 4-2-5). So two guys have essentially no starting experience (but a decent amount of snaps) against what seems to be a good WR/TE group.

Reactions: mavcock and BigTomE
Your WRs vs our secondary. Our secondary has 2 starters back and another that started 2-3 games last year (we play a 4-2-5). So two guys have essentially no starting experience (but a decent amount of snaps) against what seems to be a good WR/TE group.

I did not realize NCSU ran the 4-2-5. My understanding is that it is used to stop the spread/read option, and that it depends heavily on those 2 in the middle, who have to be both faster and stouter than has been expected of lb's in the past. The front for State is not in doubt. What do those lb's look like?

I appreciate you coming over here and exposing yourself to the occasional clown on our board. Having said that, you are the most rational and level headed fan from an opposing team that I have seen in a while. If you run a 4-2-5, I think our TE and a back out of the backfield might be able to get early success and then draw your d backfield in for a possible over the top play, but your D line terrifies me (and Bentley). Your team was the hardest hitting team Clemson played last year. That game was yours to lose......

If Doeren gets let go after a bad season, who would you like to see as your HC? And by the way, I see you going 8-3 leaving out our game although your Dline might give Louisville and Jackson trouble.

Reactions: ncrebel574
I appreciate you coming over here and exposing yourself to the occasional clown on our board. Having said that, you are the most rational and level headed fan from an opposing team that I have seen in a while. If you run a 4-2-5, I think our TE and a back out of the backfield might be able to get early success and then draw your d backfield in for a possible over the top play, but your D line terrifies me (and Bentley). Your team was the hardest hitting team Clemson played last year. That game was yours to lose......

If Doeren gets let go after a bad season, who would you like to see as your HC? And by the way, I see you going 8-3 leaving out our game although your Dline might give Louisville and Jackson trouble.

Appreciate the words, it's been a fun convo. I hope we keep stay physical because that was fun to watch vs Clemson, despite the heartbreaking end. We just need consistency there.

Our first string nickleback (essentially our 3rd LB) right now was a starting safety last year, so I think if that lineup stays the same, you may have more success down the seams and beating/testing our new safeties. I honestly don't remember any TEs or RBs having huge games catching the ball last year but I could wrong. The biggest issues we had last year were quick outs and bubbles. ECU killed us with that.

As for the next HC, I have no idea. I'd guess we could spend $3- $3.3 to start. I honestly don't know much about young HCs but I did like Morris at SMU (sorry, im sure you guys aren't fans) but I'm not sure he gets out of Texas/that area.

Last edited:
Reactions: mavcock
I did not realize NCSU ran the 4-2-5. My understanding is that it is used to stop the spread/read option, and that it depends heavily on those 2 in the middle, who have to be both faster and stouter than has been expected of lb's in the past. The front for State is not in doubt. What do those lb's look like?

The LBers are both 3 year starters, so they won't make many mistakes. One (Fernandez) is average athletically but is in the right spot 9/10 times. The other (Moore) is a very good player who was the 2nd highest ACC linebacker according to PFF (no idea how they figure it, but he was all ACC according to their analytics). The depth is unproven but a couple of guys that have gotten high praise. Doeren called the LB competition "as good as it's been" since he's been here. Coaches speak? Who knows. We'll find out.

Appreciate the words, it's been a fun convo. I hope we keep stay physical because that was fun to watch vs Clemson, despite the heartbreaking end. We just need consistency there.

Our first string nickleback (essentially our 3rd LB) right now was a starting safety last year, so I think if that lineup stays the same, you may have more success down the seams and beating/testing our new safeties. I honestly don't remember any TEs or RBs having huge games catching the ball last year but I could wrong. The biggest issues we had last year were quick outs and bubbles. ECU killed us with that.

As for the next HC, I have no idea. I'd guess we could spend $3- $3.3 to start. I honestly don't know much about young HCs but I did like Morris at SMU (sorry, im sure you guys aren't fans) but I'm not sure he gets out of Texas/that area.
The ECU game shows how you can lose an early game to a team that gave up 66 points to Navy (!). That's why I have no idea about this first game. Don't think that you will get Morris as he is too chickenshit to take a job where he has to coach against the great Dabo. See him taking the A&M or TTech job when those clear out. Or maybe UT when Butchie grinds that program into the ground.

The ECU game shows how you can lose an early game to a team that gave up 66 points to Navy (!). That's why I have no idea about this first game. Don't think that you will get Morris as he is too chickenshit to take a job where he has to coach against the great Dabo. See him taking the A&M or TTech job when those clear out. Or maybe UT when Butchie grinds that program into the ground.

Agreed. That game was awful to watch, so glad I didn't go. I can't stand Greenville.

But, I agree on Morris. No idea who is out there honestly. I really like Doeren as a person, but as a coach I am skeptical. Hopefully he quiets some people down and wins games

Agreed. That game was awful to watch, so glad I didn't go. I can't stand Greenville.

But, I agree on Morris. No idea who is out there honestly. I really like Doeren as a person, but as a coach I am skeptical. Hopefully he quiets some people down and wins games
We loved Chad Holbrook as baseball coach Great guy. Good person. All that matters is wins in this sport.

The only Greenville in the US is the Greenville SC with the Liberty Bridge and our downtown. Come visit. Greenville NC is a dump.

Right now CDD has a medium seat. RUMOR was if he didn't beat UNC and make it to a bowl last year, he was out. Not confirmed, but that was a rumor.

Our OC is in his 2nd year from Boise State. At Boise State he had a 3,000 yard passer, 1,000 yard RB and WR, so he is multi dimensional. Typically we will have 1 back, 3 WRS and 1 TE in a spread formation. We do line up under center some, but I'd say it's 80/20 out of the gun. Last year he had a 1st year QB (who came from Boise with him) that played well, but not great (pretty sure he was 4th in preseason ACC QB votes). But he has a year under his belt and high expectations. A lot of quick passes to the guys below, with the occasional deep shot to keep the defense honest. I really like most of his game plans, so hopefully he can continue to open up the play book with more experience.

We have some versatile guys in Jaylen Samuel (1st team all ACC) and Nyheim Hines (on preseason ACC teams) that cause mismatches so they line up literally everywhere (RB, TE, slot, out wide). I think we want them to touch the ball 25x combined.

On D- it's honestly pretty vanilla, very gap controlled and "do your job" type. I would assume we are going to try to win with our front 4 and give as much help to our secondary as possible. Throw in the occasional A gap blitz and a corner blitz, but it's a defense built more on execution than creativity. We have the front 7 to make that happen, but will our secondary stand up?

Sullivan's (although Angus Barn is my favorite) and yes, the wolf howl gets old after the 15th time, aka before kickoff.
I hate the new wolf howl

Bring back the old one

Reactions: uscusc1987
How many fans will NC State bring? How many do you think South Carolina will bring?

Would you say this years NCSU team will be better overall than last years team? What is your teams biggest weakness? Both on the field, and on the sidelines.

Yes, we should be better. we return a lot of starters including the QB, 8 out of 9 starters in the trenches, and other players who have played a lot of football. The experience is there, 100%.

Biggest weakness is the secondary with 2 new starters at safety. Who knows how they'll do when the lights are on. We don't know what we are getting from our kicker either. Also, as mentioned, we like to randomly lay eggs especially early in the season.

The biggest sideline weakness is still Dave Doeren. He has only won a game or two where the talent is similar and hasn't beaten a team where they have more talent.

The only Greenville in the US is the Greenville SC with the Liberty Bridge and our downtown. Come visit. Greenville NC is a dump.

One of my good buddies moved there at the beginning of the year and loves it. I hear good things so I need to go check it

Last edited:
Reactions: mavcock
Ummmm. Right now I like where we are, but I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it.

Remember the ACC was good last year and the SEC as a whole had a down year, imo. But that my friend was an anomaly and I can promise you it won't be an every year thing. I would love to see NCSU in the SEC.

Reactions: gcocks2010
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT