ADVERTISEMENT

NC State-South Carolina history

Gamecockben1979

Jun 5, 2017
Some of you older guys (I'm pushing 40) can maybe tell more and add to this but it seems USC and NC State have had a pretty good relationship.

I saw we played NC State yearly in football from 1956-1991 (except 1967 which I assume was a conference scheduling issue...long before my birth). What I thought was interesting was we dropped out of the ACC in 1971, yet played them for 20 straight years (until we joined the SEC)...and remember some dog fights in my youth (80s).

While some schools were mad we left the ACC, it seems like NC State probably understood our perspective and wanted to keep a good relationship with USC, thus continuining the football rivalry. I guess we could find coming ground in our hatred for Clemson and North Carolina.

Having said that, I hope we beat the crap out of them in a few weeks.

We are both in the state capital so we have that in common. However, they are the Clemson/ag school of NC so that is definitely not a commonality

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Some of you older guys (I'm pushing 40) can maybe tell more and add to this but it seems USC and NC State have had a pretty good relationship.

I saw we played NC State yearly in football from 1956-1991 (except 1967 which I assume was a conference scheduling issue...long before my birth). What I thought was interesting was we dropped out of the ACC in 1971, yet played them for 20 straight years (until we joined the SEC)...and remember some dog fights in my youth (80s).

While some schools were mad we left the ACC, it seems like NC State probably understood our perspective and wanted to keep a good relationship with USC, thus continuining the football rivalry. I guess we could find coming ground in our hatred for Clemson and North Carolina.

I don't remember the yr but we hit the State qb as he was throwing and the pass was a way short dining bird. Dicky Harris was standing on the 20 waiting for the ball to come down. It was such a floater the St receiver came back upfield and tried to catch the ball. he ran into Harris's back as Dickie intercepted the ball. Harris was called for interference even though he never initiated any contact and was in front of the receiver making a clean interception.

I know the NC State Kicker who kicked off to Sterling Sharp in the 1987 game in Columbia...

Mark Fowble said when trying to make the tackle on Sterling, he made a mistake by looking into Sterling's eyes. Sterling looked one way and Mark went the other way...

Also Mark said, Sterling never went out of bounds on that kick off return, it was a bad call, but he'll take it.

We have gotten some bad calls against State over the years. I remember one I think was in the 80s. State punted to us and the official said our return man touch the ball when indeed he did not. State recovered the ball and the officials allowed the play. A replay of the event clearly showed that our player was nowhere near the ball. It was almost as gross of a miscall as the miscall in the Michigan game a few years ago when the Wolverines didn't make the first down but one official signaled a first down. State when on to win that game but I don't think the call against us would have made any difference. Sparky was the coach of the Gamecocks at that time. The officials were a she she officials and the following week the Head of the ACC Officiating Crew came down and apologized to Sparky in person.

I was mainly curious why we continued to play NC State annually after leaving the ACC when we clearly didn't do that with the others.

We also played Duke pretty regularly but not some of the others. We couldn't obviously play them all once we pulled out but I think it did show USC got along with some members (Duke/NC State) more than others (mainly UN Carolina)

I was mainly curious why we continued to play NC State annually after leaving the ACC when we clearly didn't do that with the others.

We also played Duke pretty regularly but not some of the others. We couldn't obviously play them all once we pulled out but I think it did show USC got along with some members (Duke/NC State) more than others (mainly UN Carolina)

When you're an independent, you have to fill up the schedule (11 games back then). All the better if you can get some home-and-home with schools in neighboring states.

Guess that was some of it. While we are in the right place in the sec, I did enjoy our schedule back then. Played really good schedules as an independent for the most part.

While some schools were mad we left the ACC, it seems like NC State probably understood our perspective and wanted to keep a good relationship with USC, thus continuing the football rivalry. I guess we could find coming ground in our hatred for Clemson and North Carolina.

Wish they had kept up the basketball and baseball rivalries too.

I'm guessing we must have signed numerous 2-year or 4-year contracts during the 20-year span of independence. 1992 was supposed to be the last year of the latest of those contracts, but with joining the SEC, we apparently asked for a delay in fulfilling our end (probably worked out okay for them as well with F$U joining the ACC). That's why we played them in a rain-soaked Carter-Finley Stadium in the fall of 1999. These delays in fulfilling contracts happen frequently across the country.. Took UnCarolina a few years to return to Cola a few years ago. They got invited to play LSU in Atlanta the year they were supposed to come to Cola. Given the $$$ and exposure, it was a no-brainer for Chapel Hill to ask for a delay in coming down. Many crazy posts here on FGF asserting that the 'Holes were "afraid to come to Cola." Nonsense.

Other than Maryland whom we haven't played in football since 1971, we've played all other 6 members at the time of departure several times each during the regular season in subsequent years. ACC commissioner asked all 6 on the schedule to honor the 1971 ACC football contracts.

Dook was a casualty of our move to the SEC. I guess 1991 was the final year of that contract. The Wake series ended in 1987. We've played The 'Holes, 'Pack, Cavs, and Taters since joining the SEC.

I remember back in the late 70's we played ( defeated) everybody in the ACC that year, with the only exception being MD. There were even bumper stickers that some enterprising students made that read "ACC CHAMPS" that year.

'86 State game was where the phrase "ACC officials" came From yelled at many Carolina games in the late '80s/'90s. Refs screwed us at the end in Raleigh. My dad said there were a ton of fights in the parking lot afterwards. We got them back in '87 in Columbia in a shutout rout. They ended Ellis' career in '89 in Columbia.

I'm guessing we must have signed numerous 2-year or 4-year contracts during the 20-year span of independence. 1992 was supposed to be the last year of the latest of those contracts, but with joining the SEC, we apparently asked for a delay in fulfilling our end (probably worked out okay for them as well with F$U joining the ACC). That's why we played them in a rain-soaked Carter-Finley Stadium in the fall of 1999. These delays in fulfilling contracts happen frequently across the country.. Took UnCarolina a few years to return to Cola a few years ago. They got invited to play LSU in Atlanta the year they were supposed to come to Cola. Given the $$$ and exposure, it was a no-brainer for Chapel Hill to ask for a delay in coming down. Many crazy posts here on FGF asserting that the 'Holes were "afraid to come to Cola." Nonsense.

Other than Maryland whom we haven't played in football since 1971, we've played all other 6 members at the time of departure several times each during the regular season in subsequent years. ACC commissioner asked all 6 on the schedule to honor the 1971 ACC football contracts.

Dook was a casualty of our move to the SEC. I guess 1991 was the final year of that contract. The Wake series ended in 1987. We've played The 'Holes, 'Pack, Cavs, and Taters since joining the SEC.

@atl-cock good info! Aware of the contracts now but had little knowledge about them back in 1991 when I was a kid.

I know there isn't a lot of love lost between USC and Maryland. My guess is unless it's a bowl game those two will never play in football.

I think it's real interesting that although we got out the ACC mainly because of the big 4, we clearly had a decent relationship with Duke and NC State, enough to play consistently. Clearly not the case with Maryland. Obviously we do not like UNC but it's hard to pass on a USC UNC matchup regardless of the dislike. It's good for business

Anybody remember Steve Courson getting a gazillion pancakes on NC State in a televised game back in about '76? I could have rushed for 100 behind him that day.

I remember playing them in 1972 or 1973 in a shootout that they won like 56-35....they had two good running backs but can't remember names.

The clock game our fans said they were pelted with insults, drinks, and batteries. Plus, the ACC officials and timekeeper cheated so the Wolfpack got an extra play (TD pass). That isn't opinion. It's fact.

NC State has that game down in their tradition section of their athletic website as a great win for their program.

Games are all televised now so they cannot get away with as much. However, you can call (or not call) holding on every play. Who are the officials for the game in Charlotte?

For many years wake forest was the gamecocks most common opponent along with clemmy.

Wake Forest is our 3rd most played opponent of all time.

Top 10 (# of games)

1. Clemson (108)
2. Georgia (64)
3. Wake Forest (56)
4. North Carolina (55)
5. NC State (52)
6. Duke (44)
7. Citadel (38)
8. Florida (37)
9. Furman (36) - first ever opponent
10. Tennessee (35)

I went to Carolina from '67-'72.... During this time we left and for good reasons. Let no one on here fool you, the only reason the ACC teams continued to play us was because they could make more money especially coming to Columbia than at their own pathetic stadiums during those 20 year in the 70's and 80's. Fullfilling a contract is hog wash. Hell they had contracts in basketball but all refused to play us. It was about the money...

NC State has maybe the best defensive line in the nation. Kid you not. There QB is also coming back, and most of their defense which was one of the toughest against the run.

I don't remember the yr but we hit the State qb as he was throwing and the pass was a way short dining bird. Dicky Harris was standing on the 20 waiting for the ball to come down. It was such a floater the St receiver came back upfield and tried to catch the ball. he ran into Harris's back as Dickie intercepted the ball. Harris was called for interference even though he never initiated any contact and was in front of the receiver making a clean interception.

Well, it was NC State.....the refs cheat like shit against us vs them.......long history. I only pull for NCSU when they play the taters/FSU/UNC. Otherwise, hope they never win a game. I was at the game in Raleigh to witness one of the greatest rip offs in NCAA history.

Well, it was NC State.....the refs cheat like shit against us vs them.......long history. I only pull for NCSU when they play the taters/FSU/UNC. Otherwise, hope they never win a game. I was at the game in Raleigh to witness one of the greatest rip offs in NCAA history.
That's for sure. It was like the US Basketball vs RUSSIA in the Olympics

There was a trophy that went with that game. I have forgotten the name of it.

I hated NC State ever since the John Roche days.:mad:
Yeah. I was crushed when NCS scored in the championship BB game with a silly bad pass from Cremins. The NCS was alert and playing the game. Cremins threw a lazy pass. FM1 could have won it all that year.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Beat Vandy in the 2016 Independence Bowl. Two 6-6 teams; NCS finished 7-6, Vandy 6-7.

They lost four straight at one point last year. No disrespect (please; from us?) but this ain't Clemson we're playing.

Yeah. I was crushed when NCS scored in the championship BB game with a silly bad pass from Cremins. The NCS was alert and playing the game. Cremins threw a lazy pass. FM1 could have won it all that year.

I was sick after that game.

Funny you should mention the Maryland game of 1971, that was the first game I ever saw at WB. The Gamecocks won handily, I don't remember the exact score but USC easily defeated the Turps. I have been a Gamecock fan since circa 1960 but didn't see my first game in person until the Maryland game of 1971.

One other significant thing I remember from that game. Dickie Harris got into a fight with one of the Maryland players and then both benches emptied. The altercation was quickly broken up but Dickie Harris was the one that started the fight. I just wonder if that had anything to do with Maryland not playing us again in football? I doubt it very seriously, and I would not really even care to see USC even play them again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT