ADVERTISEMENT

NC State-South Carolina history

Yeah. I was crushed when NCS scored in the championship BB game with a silly bad pass from Cremins. The NCS was alert and playing the game. Cremins threw a lazy pass. FM1 could have won it all that year.

Cremins was "Leftwiched". Mugged by State's Eddie Leftwich

I went to Carolina from '67-'72.... During this time we left and for good reasons. Let no one on here fool you, the only reason the ACC teams continued to play us was because they could make more money especially coming to Columbia than at their own pathetic stadiums during those 20 year in the 70's and 80's. Fulfilling a contract is hog wash. Hell they had contracts in basketball but all refused to play us. It was about the money...

You are correct IMO re: why many ACC schools continued to schedule us in football after we left the league. Wish we could have used it as leverage to get them to schedule us in other sports too.

Um, if said institutions scheduled us in a sport, a contract comes along with it. Same today, in any sport, with any institution. My guess is that the ACC basketball contracts were annual, not multiyear.

Again, we had to postpone the last year of the football contract with NSCU for several years. We were supposed to have played them in Raleigh in 1992, but the SEC schedule was such that it couldn't happen. Finally found a mutually convenient date in 1999. Nothing hogwash about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony2016
Funny you should mention the Maryland game of 1971, that was the first game I ever saw at WB. The Gamecocks won handily, I don't remember the exact score but USC easily defeated the Turps. I have been a Gamecock fan since circa 1960 but didn't see my first game in person until the Maryland game of 1971.

One other significant thing I remember from that game. Dickie Harris got into a fight with one of the Maryland players and then both benches emptied. The altercation was quickly broken up but Dickie Harris was the one that started the fight. I just wonder if that had anything to do with Maryland not playing us again in football? I doubt it very seriously, and I would not really even care to see USC even play them again.
The heightened tension after the regular season hoops games with MD left a sore spot in many Gamecock hearts (mine included) and I wasn't disappointed that we no longer played them in any sport, although I had changed my tune by the late 70s.

Good point, I had forgotten about that game.
Yes, and only lost to fsu by 3 on a dropped interception in the last minute. Lost to Clemson by missing a 30 yard field goal at Clemson on the last play in regulation sending the game to OT. However, this team also lost by 3 to ECU, Lost by double digits to Syracuse and Boston College. Also, lost by 41 to louisville. Finished 6-6 regular season. Obviously, about as inconsistent as any team in the country. Lets hope they are inconsistent the first game of the year. How anyone knows what to predict based on States play last year I have no clue.

They won at Syracuse last year. 2 bad losses - at ECU and a home loss to BC. 8 returning starters on D and O. Hines, Samuels, and Harmon are the ones to watch on O. Chubb, Hill, Roseboro, Street, and Moore on D. Weakness is the secondary and kicker.

The clock game our fans said they were pelted with insults, drinks, and batteries. Plus, the ACC officials and timekeeper cheated so the Wolfpack got an extra play (TD pass). That isn't opinion. It's fact.

NC State has that game down in their tradition section of their athletic website as a great win for their program.

Games are all televised now so they cannot get away with as much. However, you can call (or not call) holding on every play. Who are the officials for the game in Charlotte?

I remember that game where their clock operator gave them one more play to win the game. I also remember the next time we played up there we won and Ellis did the six gun thing (I was there), They also ended his career with a knee injury.

Some of you older guys (I'm pushing 40) can maybe tell more and add to this but it seems USC and NC State have had a pretty good relationship.

I saw we played NC State yearly in football from 1956-1991 (except 1967 which I assume was a conference scheduling issue...long before my birth). What I thought was interesting was we dropped out of the ACC in 1971, yet played them for 20 straight years (until we joined the SEC)...and remember some dog fights in my youth (80s).

While some schools were mad we left the ACC, it seems like NC State probably understood our perspective and wanted to keep a good relationship with USC, thus continuining the football rivalry. I guess we could find coming ground in our hatred for Clemson and North Carolina.

Having said that, I hope we beat the crap out of them in a few weeks.
Honestly, it probably didn't hurt that Dick Sheridan (USC, '64) was their coach from 1986-92.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Wake Forest is our 3rd most played opponent of all time.

Top 10 (# of games)

1. Clemson (108)
2. Georgia (64)
3. Wake Forest (56)
4. North Carolina (55)
5. NC State (52)
6. Duke (44)
7. Citadel (38)
8. Florida (37)
9. Furman (36) - first ever opponent
10. Tennessee (35)
Good post

1987, the year after the '86 clock cheating game. Revenge! The Fire Ants ate 'em up.
I still remember someone changing the Lester Bates Highway sign coming into downtown to Norman Bates...complete with an arm holding a bloody knife coming of the top!

I hate Danny peebles and whoever the clock operator was in 1986.

I remember listening to it on the radio. Even Bob Fulton, the ultimate professional broadcaster, was beside himself at the call.

I remember playing them in 1972 or 1973 in a shootout that they won like 56-35....they had two good running backs but can't remember names.

1973 in Columbia. Holtz & the Buckey Bros. (QB & WR) were brutal to us during that time period. The Buckeys REALLY thorned us with that last minute drive in '75.

We have gotten some bad calls against State over the years. I remember one I think was in the 80s. State punted to us and the official said our return man touch the ball when indeed he did not. State recovered the ball and the officials allowed the play. A replay of the event clearly showed that our player was nowhere near the ball. It was almost as gross of a miscall as the miscall in the Michigan game a few years ago when the Wolverines didn't make the first down but one official signaled a first down. State when on to win that game but I don't think the call against us would have made any difference. Sparky was the coach of the Gamecocks at that time. The officials were a she she officials and the following week the Head of the ACC Officiating Crew came down and apologized to Sparky in person.

Speaking of bad calls over the years vs. N.C. State. 1957 football game. Phantom pass interference call (very "late") negates what appears to be a game-clinching interception by our guy. State gets into FG position & makes it to clinch the ACC title. That was in Cola. I wasn't around, yet, but heard about it from several.

They won at Syracuse last year. 2 bad losses - at ECU and a home loss to BC. 8 returning starters on D and O. Hines, Samuels, and Harmon are the ones to watch on O. Chubb, Hill, Roseboro, Street, and Moore on D. Weakness is the secondary and kicker.
My error, lost to Miami by 15, not Syracuse. The loss to Boston College was BC's first confrence win in 2 years. They had some terrible losses and came very close to beating two very good teams including the eventual national champion. How can a team be that inconsistent?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT