ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA approved startup of 3 new bowl games. REALLY?!!!

CooCooCock

Nov 30, 2010
The existing population of bowls already struggle to select teams with winning records. This further dilutes the reward of being "bowl-bound" and the exclusivity of an "invitation". At this rate, in the not too distant future, there will be enough bowls so that everyone is invited. It will become like the participation trophy -- no one's left out, so no one's feelings are hurt.

The only good news regarding this is that it appears Myrtle Beach is a lock to be one of the three cities to host one of the new bowls. Charleston, SC is also mentioned as being in the conversation.

Serious question. Does any of you actually sit down and watch the .com bowl games that start like the second week of December? I know when I see them on TV there is hardly anybody in the stands other than the waterboy's parents.

3 new bowls, 6 other teams. There is difficulty at the present time finding enough deserving teams for these lower tier bowls as it is. The Pac-12 has recently passed a new rule that keeps 5-7 teams from bowl eligibility (kudos to them). If other conferences follow suit, then this may lead to a reduction in the .com bowls.

3 new bowls, 6 other teams. There is difficulty at the present time finding enough deserving teams for these lower tier bowls as it is. The Pac-12 has recently passed a new rule that keeps 5-7 teams from bowl eligibility (kudos to them). If other conferences follow suit, then this may lead to a reduction in the .com bowls.

you get a trophy
I get a trophy
she gets a trophy
he gets a trophy
hey you, yea you guess what you guessed it TROPHY time.

Where is James Harrison when we need him, this is beyond out of hand, but hopefully the ncaa gets some $$$ out of it......

Reactions: The Garnet Baron
you get a trophy
I get a trophy
she gets a trophy
he gets a trophy
hey you, yea you guess what you guessed it TROPHY time.

Where is James Harrison when we need him, this is beyond out of hand, but hopefully the ncaa gets some $$$ out of it......
I get how it diminishes the prestige of a bowl, but man if you’re a coach you’re probably glad there’s so many bowls because that bonu$

Serious question. Does any of you actually sit down and watch the .com bowl games that start like the second week of December? I know when I see them on TV there is hardly anybody in the stands other than the waterboy's parents.

Absolutely and those lower tier bowls will still get higher tv ratings than the first couple rounds of the US Open and better than the College World Series

The Camelia Bowl had 1.2 million viewers last year. That beats a lot of major sporting event

Reactions: ddw1263
According to the talking heads, coaches like the extra practices they would not otherwise be entitled to, but I'm not sure if most bowl trips don't end up costing the schools money.

Reactions: atl-cock
The existing population of bowls already struggle to select teams with winning records. This further dilutes the reward of being "bowl-bound" and the exclusivity of an "invitation". At this rate, in the not too distant future, there will be enough bowls so that everyone is invited. It will become like the participation trophy -- no one's left out, so no one's feelings are hurt.

The only good news regarding this is that it appears Myrtle Beach is a lock to be one of the three cities to host one of the new bowls. Charleston, SC is also mentioned as being in the conversation.
All products already are sponsoring bowls. No more sponsors available.

It's time to accept that this is how it is now. Quit looking at the bowls as rewards and more like the glorified exhibitions they are (with a few exceptions). The days that going to a lower tier bowl meant something have been over for a while.

Then let them earn the trip. Just giving them a trip to a week azzed bowl teaches them nothing but entitlement.
Oh boo hoo- how does this teach them entitlement?!? I get it now, Uncle Rico, if coach would have put you in you would have won state championships. I bet you can throw it over those mountains, too.

The biggest thing that has diminished the prestige of a bowl game is the BCS and now the playoff system. Making a bowl game doesn’t really mean squat to your present season anymore, unless it’s in the 4 team playoff system. It does matter, however, for future team considerations like money to a school athletics program, recruiting, extra weeks of practice, team building/ comradery, fan support, etc.

Reactions: bucketdad
I don’t mind the bowls as I like to watch football. What I’d prefer to see instead of all the bowls is the FCS Playoffs promoted and shown more. I feel like the past few seasons we’ve only seen the semi-finals and championship game. I enjoy watching these games as there is something to play for. Give me Furman vs North Dakota State for a chance to move on over Toledo and North Texas all day long.

So the one in Myrtle Beach is the DirtyMyrtle.com Bowl? Awesome!! By the way, they do know Myrtle Beach is usually not warm and balmy that time of year, right?

Reactions: funktavious
It really is quite simple. If you don't like them, don't watch them. Most of those lower tier bowl games go to smaller conferences and for those schools it's a big deal to go somewhere for the post season. I try to watch as many bowl games as I can because I know that soon it will be the end of college football for many months and I'd rather watch the Cromer's Popcorn Bowl than not being able to watch football at all.

They already have, when you have 5-7 teams getting to go because they need teams to fill them.

That's what I was thinking. If there's a need for them, fine. But when there is too many and they're lowering requirements, no.

I recently read one of the conferences made a new rule that members could not go to a bowl with a 5-7 record. PAC-12 maybe.

Don't let Bowls game become a participation trophy.
“Participation trophy” - I pretty much hate that term. Those of you that went to work today and collected a paycheck, but didn’t get promoted to CEO got a participation trophy. Those that go to baseball games and kept the free program they give you at the gate but didn’t catch the game winning homerun ball got a participation trophy. People are so quick to make it a derogatory term and blame it on the perception that kids are “soft” because they play video games, expect a roof over the heads and food on the table, or god-forbid make their voice of displeasure at the government heard. The truth is, at the little kid level, participation trophies are an appreciation for putting up with your parents dragging you out to do something you’d rather not do. When I coached youth tball and soccer, I considered it a huge honor to give these kids something more than a certificate. Of course it’s easy for those of us removed from youth to blame society’s faults on today’s generation. Carry on...

“Participation trophy” - I pretty much hate that term. Those of you that went to work today and collected a paycheck, but didn’t get promoted to CEO got a participation trophy. Those that go to baseball games and kept the free program they give you at the gate but didn’t catch the game winning homerun ball got a participation trophy. People are so quick to make it a derogatory term and blame it on the perception that kids are “soft” because they play video games, expect a roof over the heads and food on the table, or god-forbid make their voice of displeasure at the government heard. The truth is, at the little kid level, participation trophies are an appreciation for putting up with your parents dragging you out to do something you’d rather not do. When I coached youth tball and soccer, I considered it a huge honor to give these kids something more than a certificate. Of course it’s easy for those of us removed from youth to blame society’s faults on today’s generation. Carry on...

Probably should have left that thought in your head.

Those are adjusted numbers, you are far more likely to be a victim of crime in larger cities with larger populations. Myrtle Beach's population is 28,000 full time residents. The summer months (June ,July, Aug) its in the hundreds of thousands which skew the numbers.
They had two attempted kidnappings this past Sunday morning. It doesn't matter if it's a full time resident or tourist. Given the amount of tourists alone, it's a rich environment for human trafficking.

Ok great assign two teams & have a post season game for those who qualify & use a home facility or as neutral biased site as possible between those 2 schools.

You can even use some of these legendary new bowl names if you want.

Keep the top 8/10 real bowl games as they are

They had two attempted kidnappings this past Sunday morning. It doesn't matter if it's a full time resident or tourist. Given the amount of tourists alone, it's a rich environment for human trafficking.
Just as bad as LA, Atlanta, Chicago right? Gimmie a break

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT