ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA approved startup of 3 new bowl games. REALLY?!!!

With kidnapping/human trafficking, it doesn't really matter who's worse. One instance is one too many.
But we are talking about a poster telling people to be careful in Myrtle Beach or you might be kidnapped. You might be kidnapped in Columbia. Thats the difference.

you get a trophy
I get a trophy
she gets a trophy
he gets a trophy
hey you, yea you guess what you guessed it TROPHY time.

Where is James Harrison when we need him, this is beyond out of hand, but hopefully the ncaa gets some $$$ out of it......

Hopefully the governing body is chit canned

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
“Participation trophy” - I pretty much hate that term. Those of you that went to work today and collected a paycheck, but didn’t get promoted to CEO got a participation trophy. Those that go to baseball games and kept the free program they give you at the gate but didn’t catch the game winning homerun ball got a participation trophy. People are so quick to make it a derogatory term and blame it on the perception that kids are “soft” because they play video games, expect a roof over the heads and food on the table, or god-forbid make their voice of displeasure at the government heard. The truth is, at the little kid level, participation trophies are an appreciation for putting up with your parents dragging you out to do something you’d rather not do. When I coached youth tball and soccer, I considered it a huge honor to give these kids something more than a certificate. Of course it’s easy for those of us removed from youth to blame society’s faults on today’s generation. Carry on...
Nice rant now here's you participation trophy. When I played Dixie Youth many years ago you earned special recognition from outstanding play and we all understood that. My parents didn't drag me out anywhere I played because I loved the game so then give the participation trophy to the parents. There is no participation trophy in the real world just reward or heartache and children should learn that. When you die no one is putting a participation trophy in you coffin you earned what you left behind.

Nice rant now here's you participation trophy. When I played Dixie Youth many years ago you earned special recognition from outstanding play and we all understood that. My parents didn't drag me out anywhere I played because I loved the game so then give the participation trophy to the parents. There is no participation trophy in the real world just reward or heartache and children should learn that. When you die no one is putting a participation trophy in you coffin you earned what you left behind.
Do your have children of your own?

“Participation trophy” - I pretty much hate that term. Those of you that went to work today and collected a paycheck, but didn’t get promoted to CEO got a participation trophy. Those that go to baseball games and kept the free program they give you at the gate but didn’t catch the game winning homerun ball got a participation trophy. People are so quick to make it a derogatory term and blame it on the perception that kids are “soft” because they play video games, expect a roof over the heads and food on the table, or god-forbid make their voice of displeasure at the government heard. The truth is, at the little kid level, participation trophies are an appreciation for putting up with your parents dragging you out to do something you’d rather not do. When I coached youth tball and soccer, I considered it a huge honor to give these kids something more than a certificate. Of course it’s easy for those of us removed from youth to blame society’s faults on today’s generation. Carry on...
Sounds like someone is pissed at his parents for making him play sports he didn't want to.

Or just someone bitter that he had to go play on the bleachers while the rest of us were picking shirts or skins.

Sounds like someone is pissed at his parents for making him play sports he didn't want to.
Not in the least, and I resent you making that accusation. I wish I had more opportunities than 9 years of baseball and five years of soccer, but it was a long drive to a bigger town for more seasons of soccer so I didn’t get to as much. I didn’t get “participation trophies” as a kid more than 40 years ago, but I’m grateful my kids and their teammates get recognition for it. As a coach I even bought additional giveaways for my players and gave a little talk about each one’s contributions to the team each season.

If it means more student athletes getting a chance to take a trip possibly to a location they’ve never been with their teammates and it’s being paid for by a bowl sponsor, why rain on their parade?

This is exactly how I feel. It’s an opportunity to reward these guys for all their hard work, on and off the field.

What’s Wrong with giving people an opportunity to have a life experience they may otherwise never get?

It really is quite simple. If you don't like them, don't watch them. Most of those lower tier bowl games go to smaller conferences and for those schools it's a big deal to go somewhere for the post season. I try to watch as many bowl games as I can because I know that soon it will be the end of college football for many months and I'd rather watch the Cromer's Popcorn Bowl than not being able to watch football at all.
I also watch every Bowl game, but I enjoy reading the comments by the geniuses who have no idea why the NCAA and a city would want a Bowl game despite the number of existing games. Such commenters only see the world from their own perspective.

Reactions: ddw1263
So the one in Myrtle Beach is the DirtyMyrtle.com Bowl? Awesome!! By the way, they do know Myrtle Beach is usually not warm and balmy that time of year, right?

They are counting on global warming to take care of the weather. Soon we will have the banana bowl in Fairbanks. The only bowl games in Miami will be played between competing gondolas, floating down
Biscayne Blvd.

But we are talking about a poster telling people to be careful in Myrtle Beach or you might be kidnapped. You might be kidnapped in Columbia. Thats the difference.
but Myrtle Beach does have a certain seedy environment to it. Everyone I've known that lived there hated it and said that drugs are out of control and that there are just so many transient type people who live there. You're fine as long as you stay on the main strip but as soon as you get a few streets over, look out, crack motels everywhere. Every time I think about the Brittanee Drexel disappearance my skin crawls.

but Myrtle Beach does have a certain seedy environment to it. Everyone I've known that lived there hated it and said that drugs are out of control and that there are just so many transient type people who live there. You're fine as long as you stay on the main strip but as soon as you get a few streets over, look out, crack motels everywhere. Every time I think about the Brittanee Drexel disappearance my skin crawls.
Dating at least back to the murder of Vickie Lander Beckham whose husband went to MB to finds someone to kill her. IIRC Stephen Beckham went to the club beside The Afterdeck to find the guy who agreed to kill her. The Afterdeck was a pretty neat disco/shag club back in the late 70s and early 80s....not anymore from my understanding.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Dating at least back to the murder of Vickie Lander Beckham whose husband went to MB to finds someone to kill her. IIRC Stephen Beckham went to the club beside The Afterdeck to find the guy who agreed to kill her. The Afterdeck was a pretty neat disco/shag club back in the late 70s and early 80s....not anymore from my understanding.
Its not there anymore and how many murders are committed in Columbia compared to Myrtle Beach, how many crack houses, seedy motels?

Myrtle Beach hosting a bowl? I love the idea! Can't wait!

I hope they call it the Cromer's DEEZ Nuts Bowl!

I dont watch any pre Christmas bowl games. Their aren't any good match ups until a week before new years day.

Most coaches and players love the opportunity. A lot of coaches will use the extra 15 approved practices as an evaluation for growth of the redshirts and guys still on the practice squad. Great opportunity for them to give feedback to the redshirts on what they need to work on until spring practice.

Plus the players get some pretty nice swag gifts along with additional stipends so they can enjoy the town of the bowl.

Great for coaches and players, boring for most general fans due to poor matchups.

Reactions: Out of Conference
I dont watch any pre Christmas bowl games. Their aren't any good match ups until a week before new years day.
You're thinking about it all wrong. Try it like this- "Honey I'm headed out to the bar with the guys to watch the game"! Shes says "there is a game tonight?" "Yes, its Slippery Rock vs Neilsons School of Electronics! Big game! Boom you're outta the house! Bowl Games can save relationships ya know?

Last edited:
Reactions: NCGamcockFan2167
I like these lower-tier bowls. I've seen some interesting and wacky football, such as the ridiculous comeback in the Bahama Bowl a couple of years ago. The New Orleans Carrier R+L Bowl is a lot of fun. You can race inside the Superdome the night before the game, and then have one helluva concert and party afterwards. The next day, it is off to the game with all its festivities.

The players also do the meet and greet functions at children's hospitals. There's nothing like seeing video of those smiling kids meeting football players, even if the team is from outer Nevada. That community support is the big bonus received from each bowl.

Reactions: Out of Conference
I like these lower-tier bowls. I've seen some interesting and wacky football, such as the ridiculous comeback in the Bahama Bowl a couple of years ago. The New Orleans Carrier R+L Bowl is a lot of fun. You can race inside the Superdome the night before the game, and then have one helluva concert and party afterwards. The next day, it is off to the game with all its festivities.

The players also do the meet and greet functions at children's hospitals. There's nothing like seeing video of those smiling kids meeting football players, even if the team is from outer Nevada. That community support is the big bonus received from each bowl.
I honestly didn't think about the hospital meet and greets. I still side with a true playoff like FCS has, and work out some way for UON players to visit hospitals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT