ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Wrestling

golden spike

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2010
boiling springs
Did anyone watch and enjoy as much as I did...I noticed too that we had a SC kid from Irmo [?] finish third in his weight class...I would love to see us join Missouri as another SEC team to participate...I can't remember when two time national champs went down in the finals...undefeated guys got knocked off as well...My wife and I enjoyed...we are both transplanted NJ/PA folks who have the sport in our blood...While we are both USC folks...we pulled for the Nittany Lions this weekend at the nationals...

I enjoyed it. So many undefeateds and some of those went down. Only wish Penn St hadn't clinched even before finals, but that program is just that good.

It is great that Mizzou can keep the program as such a high level, without a conference tie in.

Wrestlign is one great sport. I really think a program could be quickly and cheaply built, as the southern wrestlers all have to head north or west.

Airplane-Joey.jpg

Title IX, doing its job of assuring that men desiring to play non-revenue sports at the collegiate level are denied the opportunity.

What I don't understand is that why do schools who don't sponsor varsity football still sponsor more women's sports than men's?

Any realistic insights appreciated.

This. It's based on the participants and number of scholarships offered to each. The issue could easily be fixed if they take Football out of the equation.
In my post, I was referring to those schools who don't sponsor varsity football, yet still sponsor more women's sports than men's, i.e., I did take football out of the equation.

In my post, I was referring to those schools who don't sponsor varsity football, yet still sponsor more women's sports than men's, i.e., I did take football out of the equation.

With schools that do not offer football, historically they did not offer football because they had higher female enrollment, yet still offered more men's sports than women's sports; therefore having more men's scholarships than women's. In order to "fix" this, they cut men's sports and scholarships to add women's sports/scholarships. Take CofC for example...they have significantly high women to men ratio, which means according to Title IX, more women's sports are offered.

All this to say that the application of Title IX in college athletics is seriously flawed.

With schools that do not offer football, historically they did not offer football because they had higher female enrollment, yet still offered more men's sports than women's sports; therefore having more men's scholarships than women's. In order to "fix" this, they cut men's sports and scholarships to add women's sports/scholarships. Take CofC for example...they have significantly high women to men ratio, which means according to Title IX, more women's sports are offered.

All this to say that the application of Title IX in college athletics is seriously flawed.
Which means that a school such as Georgia Tech with a relatively low percentage of female students would sponsor more men's sports if they didn't sponsor football?

Which means that a school such as Georgia Tech with a relatively low percentage of female students would sponsor more men's sports if they didn't sponsor football?
Possibly. At the very least, men's sports would offer more full scholarships instead of having to split a limited number among the entire team, similar to how baseball has to do now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT