ADVERTISEMENT

ND hiring Freeman

Guy's is 35. Only been DC one year. It's a big stage and a lot of pressure.
DC at Cincy for 3 years I think and built that D. He is D version of Lincoln Riley from all accounts. Guy kills it in recruiting which is what we keep hearing ND lacks. He will keep majority of staff at ND so setups well for first time HC.

This is big blow to LSU and Kelly.

DC at Cincy for 3 years I think and built that D. He is D version of Lincoln Riley from all accounts. Guy kills it in recruiting which is what we keep hearing ND lacks. He will keep majority of staff at ND so setups well for first time HC.

This is big blow to LSU and Kelly.
When I said one year, I meant DC at ND. I should have been more specific. I doubt if Kelly is sweating it. He knew this could happen.

Reactions: winloseortie
When I said one year, I meant DC at ND. I should have been more specific. I doubt if Kelly is sweating it. He knew this could happen.
Bad look when you offer to pay entire staff bonus to come and almost all say no. He burnt a lot of bridges with his staff. Tweet about ghosting them and making them look dumb recruiting in home as the news broke.

I can't put a finger on it but, Brian Kelly and LSU, look, to me, to be an "odd couple". But, it may work out. Time will tell.
I feel the same way. Doesn’t seem to be a good fit. However, as KW pointed out he’s always won. Also in a state with one major football school, lots of talent in the state and East Texas right next door. I suspect that’s why he accepted the job.

I’m a huge ND fan as our son is there and I’ve been to four games this year. I think most people around the program are more excited about Freeman than all other possibilities. He’s been straight up accountable for the D with zero excuses (never whined about his best player hurt early in the season) and shows big time energy. Got it he’s young, but that seems to be an advantage with player relationships and recruiting. If the majority of the staff stays (big IF), it will work out fine. I also believe if Fickell came in it would only be a short time before he would jump to OSU when Day eventually goes to NFL (maybe this year with Bears). Overall, I’ll be damn happy with Freeman, and the way Kelly left it probably galvanized the staff to show him how they can do well without him.

...I think most people around the program are more excited about Freeman than all other possibilities...Overall, I’ll be damn happy with Freeman, and the way Kelly left it probably galvanized the staff to show him how they can do well without him.
Freeman could work out, but he could also turn out to be a contemporary Terry Brennan. What isn't in dispute is that Kelly left him a heck of a program. He probably won't improve it; he can hope to keep it going.

Reactions: rogue cock
I've already responded to that. He's only being paid to win football games. He has done plenty of that. If he were coming here - or had been last year - and under the same circumstances - people on this board wouldn't be saying Jack S-!t.
I understand, and I don't disagree. I felt much the same way about Spurrier when he was delivering a$$ whoopings to us coaching at Florida. To some degree, it sometimes takes a bit of that personality type to be successful in a cutthroat business like coaching. I still don't like the guy, though. I came to like Spurrier because it seemed like it was a game to him (the coaching, not the actual game), and I could see that a lot of it was simply showmanship. With Kelly, he seems like a deeply narcissistic person who literally only uses those around him to win and boost his ego; of course that being said, I am only basing that on what I have seen of him in the media, so I could be very wrong.

Reactions: king ward
I agree with that. Like I said, I can't put a finger on it. But he is a winner and should do well there. Would I have welcomed him here last year? Damn right I would have.
Just to clarify, this was not a shot at you. I was taking a shot at the whole idea that you have to have ties or bloodlines from the Southeast to be able to compete in the SEC.

Reactions: gamecock stock
No offense taken. I totally agree with you. I have never been in the "have to have established recruiting contacts in this part of the country" to be hired here. EXAMPLE: Jim Carlen was one of the best football coaches we ever had here and recruited a future Heisman Trophy winner to this university.

We will see with Freeman. IMO - this is a huge leap. I can't believe ND is taking it, either.
We will see if he can equal or best 70% win percentage over a 12 year span...and consistently challenge to get into the playoffs. That 70% win percentage in reality is 74% if you go by wins on the field.

With that said....I think ND's schedule and set up is the best/most helpful to their program in college football. I think all ND coaches should be over 65% win percentage and challenging for NC given what they have in place.

Hell, wasn't Miles from Michigan? They don't give a crap where people come from as long as they win.

Novel concept.
Well, duh.

The question is will Kelly be able to recruit at a Coach O level without a connection to the area, which will lead to winning. And by winning, I mean winning conference titles and making the playoff. He won't be considered a success until he does that.

Well, duh.

The question is will Kelly be able to recruit at a Coach O level without a connection to the area, which will lead to winning. And by winning, I mean winning conference titles and making the playoff. He won't be considered a success until he does that.
That wasn't the point I was making. I clearly articulated said point in a subsequent post.

We will see with Freeman. IMO - this is a huge leap. I can't believe ND is taking it, either.
We will see if he can equal or best 70% win percentage over a 12 year span...and consistently challenge to get into the playoffs. That 70% win percentage in reality is 74% if you go by wins on the field.

With that said....I think ND's schedule and set up is the best/most helpful to their program in college football. I think all ND coaches should be over 65% win percentage and challenging for NC given what they have in place.
We've seen them in the playoffs and NC. They don't have what it takes. Plus, they will eventually have to join a conference if they want into the future playoffs. If the other conference champs are undefeated or a 1 loss team, they going to have more quality wins than ND. Personally, I don't understand why teams from major conferences would schedule ND. It's a trap game that only really helps ND. Imagine if UGA or Bama had that once in a blue moon bad game and lost but then win the conference champs?

Kelly struggles with push back from local media and in the
We've seen them in the playoffs and NC. They don't have what it takes. Plus, they will eventually have to join a conference if they want into the future playoffs. If the other conference champs are undefeated or a 1 loss team, they going to have more quality wins than ND. Personally, I don't understand why teams from major conferences would schedule ND. It's a trap game that only really helps ND. Imagine if UGA or Bama had that once in a blue moon bad game and lost but then win the conference champs?
They play them because it gets eye balls and money.

I assume you’re again Oklahoma and any other schools that have been blown out to not get in the cfp. 🙄

Kelly struggles with push back from local media and in the

They play them because it gets eye balls and money.

I assume you’re again Oklahoma and any other schools that have been blown out to not get in the cfp. 🙄
Not necessarily, but there were better teams than OKLAHOMA every time they've been there in the playoffs. Also, ND is always so overrated in the preseason rankings.

Not necessarily, but there were better teams than OKLAHOMA every time they've been there in the playoffs. Also, ND is always so overrated in the preseason rankings.
Are you saying Oklahoma was better than ND the years ND got in? If so, strongly disagree. I get it your bias against ND but they are putting out as many or more pros than anyone in college football. They are talented and better than 95% of college football. They aren’t giving up 70 points in the playoffs like some teams 🙄

I thought I saw an article ,I think it was ESPN that he was possibly going to lsu and become the highest paid assistant in football.

Are you saying Oklahoma was better than ND the years ND got in? If so, strongly disagree. I get it your bias against ND but they are putting out as many or more pros than anyone in college football. They are talented and better than 95% of college football. They aren’t giving up 70 points in the playoffs like some teams 🙄
No, I was saying that Oklahoma got in over other teams who were better than OK was. And they have yet to really be consistently competitive in playoff games but they keep getting in and I was saying it was pretty much the same for ND. People still like to think Notre Dame is good because they have tradition and a lot of money, but that doesn't make them one of the best teams in the country

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT