ADVERTISEMENT

Need help. Hot water only warm the last couple of days.

Either your upper or your lower element has burned out. Usually it's the lower that goes out first. It's not a hard fix, but you will have to drain the tank and make sure you cut the power off to the water heater. When you pull the element, you're likely to be surprised by the amount of mud that has collected on it.

It's only 5 or 6 years old.
Get the make and model number and buy a lower element first. One of the BIG Box home supply stores or a plumbing supply house should be able to fix you up. I trust you can run a drain hose from wherever the heater is to the outside.

There is a way to change it without draining the tank. Depending on you having well water or city water you may want to drain it. You can look on YouTube and find how to replace without draining. Good luck!.

Get the make and model number and buy a lower element first. One of the BIG Box home supply stores or a plumbing supply house should be able to fix you up. I trust you can run a drain hose from wherever the heater is to the outside.
If you're going to do one, should you just do both?

Reactions: jonesz21
If you decide to replace the water heater check with your electric supplier. For example, we were able to replace ours for $200 (that included install) through our electric cooperative.

Probably not too hard to diagnose. Turn off the breaker to the heater. Disconnect the wires to each element. Get a multimeter and check each element for continuity.

Reactions: 92Pony and jonesz21
By a new heater. You can turn the thermostat up on your heater. But that operates it at higher pressure... Trust me, buy new heater
If your water heater is operating under pressure (greater than water pressure) the valve is stuck and it is getting ready to explode (extremely rare now days). The water heater will operate only at water pressure regardless of temperature setting.

Check the elements first, and maybe a burned out element is the problem. When a faulty element is repaired, you likely may get years more use out of the water heater.

Make sure to follow all safety tips on this thread. ;)

If your water heater is operating under pressure (greater than water pressure) the valve is stuck and it is getting ready to explode (extremely rare now days). The water heater will operate only at water pressure regardless of temperature setting.

Check the elements first, and maybe a burned out element is the problem. When a faulty element is repaired, you likely may get years more use out of the water heater.

Make sure to follow all safety tips on this thread. ;)
If the man has warm water, but not hot, as he described, the overwhelming likelihood is that one of the elements has failed.

If you have a cheap electrical meter you can ohm out the elements to see which one is bad. Turn water heater breaker off. Remove rectangular cover. Remove wires from element before testing. Set meter to ohms reading and touch one lead to each screw. If the meter goes up it's good. If the needle doesn't move(or digital reads OL) then element is bad. Drain water heater and unscrew element.

If you have a cheap electrical meter you can ohm out the elements to see which one is bad. Turn water heater breaker off. Remove rectangular cover. Remove wires from element before testing. Set meter to ohms reading and touch one lead to each screw. If the meter goes up it's good. If the needle doesn't move(or digital reads OL) then element is bad. Drain water heater and unscrew element.
Dang, another technician.Laughing

Actually industrial electricity and PLC is my field but I have replaced a heating element or two in my life;)
I leave live electricity to the electricians. I work on whatever I can cut off. Having done that, I have been able to do a good many household jobs safely.;) Some of those jobs were even successful.:D

Last edited:
I leave live electricity to the electricians. I work on whatever I can cut off. Having done that, I have been able to do a good many household jobs safely.;) Some of those jobs were even successful.:D

Normally if there is something I can help people with I do. I am not up with the current electrical code when it comes to homes but most things I can and will answer. It really bothers me to see people pay hundreds to people for jobs they can do themselves for about 20 bucks. I understand residential electricians and plumbers have to make a living but IMO they overcharge for simple jobs so if I can help someone save money SAFELY then I am more than glad to help out. As for the last part I do this for a living and still screw up from time to time. :(

Reactions: king ward
I disagree. One bad element doesnt mean the water heater is doomed. Sometimes parts just fail for no reason other than there could have been a slight defect when it was made. He could get 5-10 more years out of that water heater. Of course it varies depending on that we are talking about but my rule is normally if it happens once you repair it. Multiple times for the same problem then you replace it.

Reactions: king ward
This man said his water heater is six years old. For a person who actually works for his money, it would be excessive to change it out. @jeff2001, I'll bet you never thought you were going to start all this.

Those heating elements last almost forever! Once they go bad, buy a new heater! Other issues will crop up soon. Like major leaks
I would consider the age of the heater and whether it has given you trouble before or whether it leaks before buying a new heater. This is not a hard fix.

This man said his water heater is six years old. For a person who actually works for his money, it would be excessive to change it out. @jeff2001, I'll bet you never thought you were going to start all this.

never heard of a heating element in one konking out in 6 years.. Those things usually last 15-20 years!!

Get a good new water heater, it's not with the headaches of fixing it...
never heard of a heating element in one konking out in 6 years.. Those things usually last 15-20 years!!
A lot depends on the chemistry of the water supply. If the water supply is high in calcium, i.e., the heating elements will not last nearly as long.

The elements are made to be replaced, and this should be a relatively easy repair.

It is wasteful to trash a perfectly serviceable water heater if you don't need to.

Reactions: jellybluebelly
Anything can happen. But sometimes lots of minerals and mud in the water can render an element ineffective by coating the heating coil, even if it hasn't burned out. But that is not the most likely cause.

High mineral content in the water or having the thermostat too high can cause sediment to build up in the bottom of the tank reducing the efficiency of the heater and causing the lower element to burn out in an electric water heater.
If you replace the lower element without cleaning out the sediment (if this was a factor), you will be replacing the element again in a few years.

Reactions: ansoncock
High mineral content in the water or having the thermostat too high can cause sediment to build up in the bottom of the tank reducing the efficiency of the heater and causing the lower element to burn out in an electric water heater.
If you replace the lower element without cleaning out the sediment (if this was a factor), you will be replacing the element again in a few years.
I always flush the tank when I change the element.

Anything can happen. But sometimes lots of minerals and mud in the water can render an element ineffective by coating the heating coil, even if it hasn't burned out. But that is not the most likely cause.
Fortunately, I have never had to drink muddy water in my home. However, the water chemistry was once bad where I live, and led to much sediment in the bottom of the water heater. This sediment indeed, caused the bottom element to last less than approximately 2 years. The sediment would cause an electrical bridge at the base of the element, causing it to overheat and burn out. I would replace the element and then use a shop vac duck taped to a hose to vacuum out the bottom of the hot water heater.

When our municipality upgraded the water system in the 90s, the water had much less mineral content. I have not had to replace another hot water heater element. Not complaining, even though the hot water heater is now inside the house instead of under the house.

Normally if there is something I can help people with I do. I am not up with the current electrical code when it comes to homes but most things I can and will answer. It really bothers me to see people pay hundreds to people for jobs they can do themselves for about 20 bucks. I understand residential electricians and plumbers have to make a living but IMO they overcharge for simple jobs so if I can help someone save money SAFELY then I am more than glad to help out. As for the last part I do this for a living and still screw up from time to time. :(
Ah, they screw people sideways. Let's just go ahead and get it out there.

Reactions: futuresnow
If you do need to replace it, replace it with a gas water heater if you have gas lines. It works if the power goes out and heats more quickly. If not gas, then try a tankless one.

During Matthew a couple of years ago, my downstairs where the water heater is located flooded to waist high water. It took until the next spring before it gave out. I called a company to come check and give me a price to replace it since I was having company coming for the weekend.

He told me it would cost about $1200 to replace because I would have to bring it up to current codes and install all kinds of extra crap.

Called my brother-in-law and asked him if he had ever installed a hot water heater. He said he helped his Dad many years ago. I told him he was about to use his skills when he got to the beach.

If we didn't have to make 2 trips to hardware store, could have finished in 45 minutes or so. And just the cost of the unit from Lowes.

If you do need to replace it, replace it with a gas water heater if you have gas lines. It works if the power goes out and heats more quickly. If not gas, then try a tankless one.
Tankless works off gas or propane also and have to have proper lines.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT