ADVERTISEMENT

Need help. Hot water only warm the last couple of days.

I don't think I have seen this mentioned. The top element has a reset button on it. Last time my water heater was just warm that did the job.

never heard of a heating element in one konking out in 6 years.. Those things usually last 15-20 years!!
believe me if you are on well and have ANY sediment it will collect in the bottom of the heater and cause the element to fail. now you are supposed to flush out( one reason there is a drain valve) the WH every 12 months but hardly anyone EVER does that . Silly to replace a perfectly good WH just for an element... 1 hour job max and 40 minutes is to drain the WH. and 99.99% chance it is the bottom one.

never heard of a heating element in one konking out in 6 years.. Those things usually last 15-20 years!!

We just replaced ours after 40 years. House was built in 1978. and that one was put in it then and never had a thing done to it, if I recall correctly.

I hope the new one lasts half that long, but suspect it won't.

Reactions: lawcalcock
My water heater did the same thing when I first bought this house 10 years ago. I replaced both the elements and I've not had a problem since. You don't have to drain the water heater by the way. You can pull the element out and stick the new one in in about 1 glug of water. Just put some towels on the floor to catch it.

They do make a small electrical probe with a light on the end that cost about $8 you can also buy at Home Depot. You can check and make sure which element is actually the problem.

And if all else fails just Google up some YouTube videos on how to do it. It's really pretty simple.

Reactions: king ward
Tankless is the new norm but they DO NOT WORK WHEN POWER LOST as they have an electronic ignition source not a pilot light. i think most new gas tank heaters also have an electronic ignition as well. But, I may be mistaken but never wrong.

My water heater did the same thing when I first bought this house 10 years ago. I replaced both the elements and I've not had a problem since. You don't have to drain the water heater by the way. You can pull the element out and stick the new one in in about 1 glug of water. Just put some towels on the floor to catch it.

They do make a small electrical probe with a light on the end that cost about $8 you can also buy at Home Depot. You can check and make sure which element is actually the problem.

And if all else fails just Google up some YouTube videos on how to do it. It's really pretty simple.
Might need a ohm meter instead of a probe. Check with power off and see if the element makes a whole circuit. Like the others are saying, if you empty the tank, make sure you fill the tank up before energizing. The elements will burn up in empty space.

Bet its the upper element.Cold water is introduced into the bottom of the tank and heated by the lower element.The upper element heats and keeps the water hot.
Have you recently drained the heater,even partially ? If thewater level gets drawn down from around the element it will short out immediately.
Not at lot of work,I usually just change both elements when working on my heater at my river house. wells are a good reason elememts fail.....

Buy a new one.
latest

I've replaced the part that attaches to the element on two occasions and each time it was covered under warranty. Didn't have to drain the tank and it cost me nothing. Be careful who's advice you take. Swap out the broken, still under warranty part at the counter and install the new one. Simple relatively easy task.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT