ADVERTISEMENT

Need well-documented evidence of Clemson fan misbehavior when SC visits

lakemurrayfan

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2012
Was just with my sister who spoke highly of the wonderful atmosphere at Clemson Memorial. How sportsmanlike all the fans are, etc., compared to Williams Brice where fans throw bottles at players.

I know I have seen poor behavior at Clemson games, but I don't dwell on it. IMO there are poor sports in every home stadium, but most are okay, and some are even friendly.

Still, I need some ammunition for the next time this topic comes up at a family gathering.

Any help out there?

Reactions: GamecockJL
double-bird-clemson-11-24-12_zpseb2aad48.gif

In 2004, the last game I attended there, someone tried to rip off my USC license plate. It was bent to hell, and there were footprints on the bumper and back of my car where they obviously had worked hard to pry it off. I took it off when I got home and tried to "hammer" it out and bend it back. I kept it mounted until SCDOT sent me a new one a few years back. I still have it at home.

I have a clemson fan as a witness as well as a Wake Forest graduate but USC fan as well. Both road to the game with me. In typical fashion, the clemson fan (winthrop grad) thought it was funny at first, but later apologized.

I have witnessed 3 fights at games there as well. I know one fight was between 2 clemson fans. One clemson fan was obnoxious to a gamecock fan. Another buddy of mine who is a clemson grad, told him to quit talking crap to the gamecocks fan. A minute later, my clemson friend was hammering the rude clemson fan. This was witnessed by a large number of people in the grass tailgate area behind the stadium near the 50 yardline entrance across Press Road, if I remember correctly.

I have witnessed identical behavior by gamecock fans, UGA fans, and Auburn fans. An LSU fan threw a cup of dipspit into the carolina section and threw bottles as well. I also recall a great fight at a Wake Forest game, I believe it was among Wake fans. I did not see a fight at Ole Miss and I have not seen a fight at UT or UF. Fans at UVA are probably the best behaved, but they don't really care or go to games. Fans misbehave pretty much everywhere, however.

The OP's sister's "holier than though" attitude is more annoying than UGA fans who will yell or bark at pretty much anyone wearing visitor's colors. I do believe that there are nice family tailgate sections that avoid all the behavior I described above. I have not witnessed any bad behavior at WB since I moved into higher priced parking areas. I think the reason people like the Gamecock Park so much is that there are very few offensive visitors so yelling and fighting is less common. I am sure that fights still break out, I just have not witnessed one.

As for bottle throwing, empty or half filled water bottles probably did less damage than oranges and Zero bars thrown at USC players and fans in the past.

Piss balloons, batteries, old grandmas spitting tobacco in your eye, I'm telling you that bunch makes the Oakland Raiders "Black Hole" look like a walk in the park!

I got a little snarky with Clemson fans sitting next to me last year. I think was more annoyed with our performance and the fact USC fans sold tickets in the Club Section to taters than their obnoxious chants. That said, I was embarrassed by some of our fans. They acted like trash.

Back to the original post - Clemson fans were horrendous the last time I was there but that was before cell phone video was a thing.

Reactions: MAB123
I heard on the Cline show the other day of the incident at clemson in 1984 after we had lost to Navy, clemson fans threw oranges at our players because we just missed playing for a NC in the Orange Bowl. But they went home disappointed as they lost 22-21. You can also tell her that the pregame march towards the student section that precipitated flying garbage is the most Bush League low class gesture in all of CFB. And it's led by coaches. My wife told me about the fans throwing stuff and said "But clemson does that at every game." I said "Why? They weren't at home. It's incredibly, intentionally disrespectful." Then Dabo hid behind it and whined about the behavior of the students as he always does, promoting the idea clemson is some magical kingdom where nothing like that could ever happen.

I heard on the Cline show the other day of the incident at clemson in 1984 after we had lost to Navy, clemson fans threw oranges at our players because we just missed playing for a NC in the Orange Bowl.
Don't forget the Zero Bars in 1999. (I'll give them credit for at least being slightly creative on that one)

Reactions: TheReelEss
This is a good thread and speaks to our class. As a freshman sigma chugga cock, it was v rude what they did to us, imagine a 56 inch thrashing, and then a 34 inch thrashing, all by my new step dad, saint dablow. What have we cock fans done to warrant this? We just mind our business, play in the sec, and never say never again. Beware, dabo reads the thread, I cannot stomach another 56’’ pounding. As a snowflake it hurts my spirit when a tater shoots the bird at me. When is the media going to cover them!
Crap, I just blew my cover! Now I'm gonna have to think of yet another account name!

The worst part was the fact their band participated. It's one thing when fans do something, but actual representatives of the University - that's just poor.
Some forget about small issues when it comes to whom participated in such BS. I sure as hail didn't - and NEVER WILL!!!!

This is a good thread and speaks to our class. As a freshman sigma chugga cock, it was v rude what they did to us, imagine a 56 inch thrashing, and then a 34 inch thrashing, all by my new step dad, saint dablow. What have we cock fans done to warrant this? We just mind our business, play in the sec, and never say never again. Beware, dabo reads the thread, I cannot stomach another 56’’ pounding. As a snowflake it hurts my spirit when a tater shoots the bird at me. When is the media going to cover them!
School's out. Mama's at work.

Of course from experience when my owner taunted taters on the hill in the brawl we were turned from men to mere boys and we learned our place. Today’s cock is a snowflake. Triggered.
School's out. Mom's at work.

Was just with my sister who spoke highly of the wonderful atmosphere at Clemson Memorial. How sportsmanlike all the fans are, etc., compared to Williams Brice where fans throw bottles at players.

I know I have seen poor behavior at Clemson games, but I don't dwell on it. IMO there are poor sports in every home stadium, but most are okay, and some are even friendly.

Still, I need some ammunition for the next time this topic comes up at a family gathering.

Any help out there?
Took my wife to the 2014 game @Clepmson and she was 7 months pregnant.

Sister-in-law is a Clempson alumni so she was thrilled the streak was finally broken.

First incident was after the game walking to the Esso club, some drunk Clempson fan was stumbling across the street and barreled into my wife almost knocking her over. Instead of apologizing, he saw my Gamecock shirt and immediately started being aggressive trying to start a fight.
Luckily the police were near by and he was sober enough to walk away once he saw them coming to our aid.

Second one,
We were walking back to our car an hour later and some drunk Clempson fan came rushing up to the side walk to talk trash to both of us. Reached out over the fence and started clapping in front of me and my wife's face. He slightly hit my wife's face and I was two seconds from decking him when his buddies realized what he did and rushed to drag him away.

And you are right, there's poor sportsmen everywhere. Things that have happened to me with Clempson are nothing in compared to Georgia fans.

Took my wife to the 2014 game @Clepmson and she was 7 months pregnant.

Sister-in-law is a Clempson alumni so she was thrilled the streak was finally broken.

First incident was after the game walking to the Esso club, some drunk Clempson fan was stumbling across the street and barreled into my wife almost knocking her over. Instead of apologizing, he saw my Gamecock shirt and immediately started being aggressive trying to start a fight.
Luckily the police were near by and he was sober enough to walk away once he saw them coming to our aid.

Second one,
We were walking back to our car an hour later and some drunk Clempson fan came rushing up to the side walk to talk trash to both of us. Reached out over the fence and started clapping in front of me and my wife's face. He slightly hit my wife's face and I was two seconds from decking him when his buddies realized what he did and rushed to drag him away.

And you are right, there's poor sportsmen everywhere. Things that have happened to me with Clempson are nothing in compared to Georgia fans.
The only difference between Clemson and Georgia fans is one cousin.

Any help out there?
what grade is she in?

Reactions: lakemurrayfan
I don't go to Clemson. I went once and that was plenty to last me 1,000 lifetimes. As for them complaining how we treat them when they come here, my section has been overtaken by tater fans the past several years. Had a whole tater family on my row last year in tater Santa hats. Nobody said a word to them. In 2013 we had some snarky tater teens shooting their mouth off but they left after the first half never to return. Don't be a jerk to people and they won't be a jerk back to you 95% of the time.

Big blow up d!ck paraded around outside our stadium by clemsuck students, saw it with my own eyes. My son witnessed their students rip the Gamecock shirt off one of our fans in their stadium. Search Deion Sanders running a punt back for a Td against sCUm and you’ll see stuff thrown at him in the endzone. Not saying they are worse than us but as I tell their inbreed faithful at work, they are far from some classy fan base that does nothing wrong.

I don't go to Clemson. I went once and that was plenty to last me 1,000 lifetimes. As for them complaining how we treat them when they come here, my section has been overtaken by tater fans the past several years. Had a whole tater family on my row last year in tater Santa hats. Nobody said a word to them. In 2013 we had some snarky tater teens shooting their mouth off but they left after the first half never to return. Don't be a jerk to people and they won't be a jerk back to you 95% of the time.
Yeah. Afraid it goes both ways. Each side has their fair share of jacka$$es. Ive had to tell a few drunk Clemson fans to shut up amd Ive seen a few drunk Carolina fans I wish wouldve shut up. We've had Carolina fans in our section who were very nice and fun to trade barbs with and others that were terrible (2016 was a bad one, but they left after the 1st quarter). In Clemson I would say there are certain areas I would avoid if I was a USC fan, mostly because of the potent mix of alcohol and young males. Not a good combo. Like you said 95% of us just want to go to the game, eat good food, cheer for our team and make it home safe.

Yeah. Afraid it goes both ways. Each side has their fair share of jacka$$es. Ive had to tell a few drunk Clemson fans to shut up amd Ive seen a few drunk Carolina fans I wish wouldve shut up. We've had Carolina fans in our section who were very nice and fun to trade barbs with and others that were terrible (2016 was a bad one, but they left after the 1st quarter). In Clemson I would say there are certain areas I would avoid if I was a USC fan, mostly because of the potent mix of alcohol and young males. Not a good combo. Like you said 95% of us just want to go to the game, eat good food, cheer for our team and make it home safe.
The only fight I've ever seen at a USC/Clemson football game was between two girls. And they were fighting over some bum, not the teams. Tater fans and USC fans were both laughing at them.

I can't deal with nasty fans...ours or others. It's one reason I prefer to watch at home.

Reactions: Cybercock

Any help out there?

It is already well documented. At their baseball regional, their fans trashed and destroyed the Vanderbilts alumni tailgate tent and site. Vanderbilt posted pictures on social media. This was just a baseball game they lost and their fans were not taunted by the players.

It is already well documented. At their baseball regional, their fans trashed and destroyed the Vanderbilts alumni tailgate tent and site. Vanderbilt posted pictures on social media. This was just a baseball game they lost and their fans were not taunted by the players.
I didn't hear anything about this. Can you post the pics?

Nice to hear things haven't changed since my last visit up there for a baseball game in 2001. I had to have my car repainted thanks to the oyster shells thrown on it during the game.

That's a good one!
I can't deal with nasty fans...ours or others. It's one reason I prefer to watch at home.
Ditto on the nasty fans on all sides, but, to me, there is nothing like the in-person atmosphere at a football game. Especially when it turns a little chilly. Still, tv has its advantages - I go to the game and watch it on tv later. I have never seen enough bad behavior to get me to forgo the opportunity to watch in person.

Reactions: vehemon
In 1980-81, the night before the Carolina-Clemson game, a group of Clemson student (not sure whether they ever identified any of them) stuffed hay bales into a female USC students car in from of Johnstone D-Section.....and lit it on fire. It burned for a while, completely destroyed the car. There were a few pictures of the car burning....both in the Clemson student newspaper and the USC student newspaper. I believe Clemson's administration ended up buying the student a new car as a result.

In 1980-81, the night before the Carolina-Clemson game, a group of Clemson student (not sure whether they ever identified any of them) stuffed hay bales into a female USC students car in from of Johnstone D-Section.....and lit it on fire. It burned for a while, completely destroyed the car. There were a few pictures of the car burning....both in the Clemson student newspaper and the USC student newspaper. I believe Clemson's administration ended up buying the student a new car as a result.
I would hope so, at the very least.

Link? I really need to see that...

I went to Clemson only once- when Tanyhill signed the paw. I don't remember any bad behavior. Clemson fans were pretty quiet and Gamecock fans were simply too euphoric to waste time taunting anyone.

I'd much rather go back to Clemson than ever go back to NC State or Georgia.

There are dumbasses everywhere though... I'd much rather watch these games at home these days anyway.

The Pink Floyd concert in 1993 was awesome

Reactions: ClemDent
I went to Clemson only once- when Tanyhill signed the paw. I don't remember any bad behavior. Clemson fans were pretty quiet and Gamecock fans were simply too euphoric to waste time taunting anyone.

There are dumbasses everywhere though... I'd much rather watch these games at home these days anyway.

NC ST might as well be another planet...... no further words ......

Reactions: ken in sacramento

It didn't put a dent in their football players' wages budget!

On a 'lighter' note: what a mob of redneck thugs in Taterville.

Only time I've been to a game there it rained most of the day and we lost. I went with a tater. Everyone was pretty nice to me. Some older folks sitting near me chatted about where I was from an such. I think Blake Mitchell was the QB. It was right before we went on the 5 game run. Lost 31-17, but the game was never in doubt. Clemson didn't do anything spectacular and the crowd was pretty subdued.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT