ADVERTISEMENT

New Baseball Head Coach

bushmastercock

Nov 30, 2015
First off I never disliked Holbrook as a person, just not as the leader of our flagship program and wish him the best in the future. Now it's wait and see
As I've said in other posts, I hope it's Brian O'Connor from uva but I have a feeling it may be Calvi. O'Sullivan would be a homerun. Can't wait to see and can't wait to get back to Omaha.
Who's your pick or best guess?

What about Landon Powell with Jon Coutlangus as pitching coach and Scott Wingo as an assistant coach.

I still think he would a great hire but if Tanner thinks he needs more experience than I hope gets the job at The Citadel.

Lots of names out there. I say there is no way we go with another assistant. Have to go with a proven guy IMO or the fans will revolt. With apologies to Landon Powell (sorry, no way), Calvi (can't do another Tanner disicple at this time), Monty ain't leaving Clemson and I don' t think he's done enough yet.. There are some good names out there IF you can lure them away. I can't put the Kentucky coach in the conversation either even though the team has done well - I want to see a longer track record.

Here are some of the names I've heard fans spout out... one thing to consider for some of these coaches that are making good money and having success, I also think you have to consider whether they would actually WANT to come to a place where the expectations are sky high when they are currently the "kings of the castle" at their current jobs, and they probably have more job security of they have an off year. I seriously think that could be a factor for some of these bigger names even though USC has the facilities etc.

Kevin O’Sullivan - Florida.
Not gonna happen. One of the highest paid guys in the country already in a good situation. Multiple CWS appearances.

Tim Corbin - Vandy.
Knows the area for recruiting. NCAAs every year since 2006. 3 CWS and a nat.championship in '14. Down side is he is older, right?

Jim Schlossnagle - TCU
. 3 straight CWS and are in the Supers again this year. Has ties to the area after stop at Clemson and Elon.

Dan McDonnell - Louisville.
5 straight super regionals and 2 CWS. The State says he is already making $1 million per year. That's way above the norm for college baseball.

Brian O’Connor - Virginia. NCAA every year since 2004. 4 CWS appearances since 2009.

Tom Walter - Wake Forest - Some NCAAs here and there at Wake. Helped 2 other smaller schools get to NCAAs as well.

Who you got? WIthout going too deep into it, I like the Virginia, Louisville and TCU guys as my top 3 that would likely be interested. (Just an opinion of course)

If history proves itself, then any names mentioned the next couple of days will indeed NOT be the coach we hire. It always seems that fans throw out names and all but we end up going another direction. Think back to football. NO ONE would have said Muschamp the first few days. it was all about Justin Fuente or Tom Herman or Kirby Smart. I think UVa coach would be great and I have heard o'Sullivans name for a few weeks now due to his displeasure with Florida fans and their lack of interest. I also dont see Calvi as coming. I think we go a bit off the board. Cant even venture a guess right now as to who it will be. The longer it goes, the more it would be someone still playing, the shorter it goes, then Ray knows who he wants and has talked to already.

If history proves itself, then any names mentioned the next couple of days will indeed NOT be the coach we hire. It always seems that fans throw out names and all but we end up going another direction. Think back to football. NO ONE would have said Muschamp the first few days. it was all about Justin Fuente or Tom Herman or Kirby Smart. I think UVa coach would be great and I have heard o'Sullivans name for a few weeks now due to his displeasure with Florida fans and their lack of interest. I also dont see Calvi as coming. I think we go a bit off the board. Cant even venture a guess right now as to who it will be. The longer it goes, the more it would be someone still playing, the shorter it goes, then Ray knows who he wants and has talked to already.
Yeah it's funny how it goes and how fans think that because we didn't hire the coach THEY wanted then somehow the A.D. screwed up. Like in football - Tom Herman was NEVER coming here and Kirby Smart was going to his alma mater. I think we got the right guy for football and I'm confident we'll get the right guy for baseball. Go Gamecocks!

Reactions: cocky416
If the search doesn't take long, it'll be O' Connor from UVA, but if it gets drawn out it could be one of the really big guns (McDonnell, Schlossnagle, O' Sullivan).

I would like to think Tanner learned something from the football coach search and already has his man lined up.

Just my .02, but I'd love to have O' Sullivan as he would bring a ton of fire to the program that is severely lacking it at this point in time.

Reactions: sadd66
Lots of names out there. I say there is no way we go with another assistant. Have to go with a proven guy IMO or the fans will revolt. With apologies to Landon Powell (sorry, no way), Calvi (can't do another Tanner disicple at this time), Monty ain't leaving Clemson and I don' t think he's done enough yet.. There are some good names out there IF you can lure them away. I can't put the Kentucky coach in the conversation either even though the team has done well - I want to see a longer track record.

Here are some of the names I've heard fans spout out... one thing to consider for some of these coaches that are making good money and having success, I also think you have to consider whether they would actually WANT to come to a place where the expectations are sky high when they are currently the "kings of the castle" at their current jobs, and they probably have more job security of they have an off year. I seriously think that could be a factor for some of these bigger names even though USC has the facilities etc.

Kevin O’Sullivan - Florida.
Not gonna happen. One of the highest paid guys in the country already in a good situation. Multiple CWS appearances.

Tim Corbin - Vandy.
Knows the area for recruiting. NCAAs every year since 2006. 3 CWS and a nat.championship in '14. Down side is he is older, right?

Jim Schlossnagle - TCU
. 3 straight CWS and are in the Supers again this year. Has ties to the area after stop at Clemson and Elon.

Dan McDonnell - Louisville.
5 straight super regionals and 2 CWS. The State says he is already making $1 million per year. That's way above the norm for college baseball.

Brian O’Connor - Virginia. NCAA every year since 2004. 4 CWS appearances since 2009.

Tom Walter - Wake Forest - Some NCAAs here and there at Wake. Helped 2 other smaller schools get to NCAAs as well.

Who you got? WIthout going too deep into it, I like the Virginia, Louisville and TCU guys as my top 3 that would likely be interested. (Just an opinion of course)
O'Connor and UVA won the CWS in 2015 as well.

Tanner should be fired if it's Landon Powell. A small independent school where he has just modest success? But, of course he wont even be considered.

Reactions: 92Pony
Lemonis coached at Citadel and is from Myrtle Beach I believe.
He is. Citadel grad. Played under Chal Port and Freddy Jordan. Also worked under Louisville's coach before getting the gig at Indiana. Has a pretty nice resume. I'll be honest. Didn't know much about him until he was mentioned by a friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: sclawman77
I think Tanner hires the head coach from Bethune-Cookman. BCU was a #3 seed and gave the Gators all they could handle.

I'd like to see us get a proven winner... one that's already proven his metal as a head coach. I like Holliday. With the right tools, I believe he could coach circles around other guys.
If we were to go after a current asst. to become the next head coach, I'd hope it be a pitching coach. They tend to know swings better than anyone and are more conscious about adjusting defenses for a certain pitch. My 2 cents.

Reactions: jbouton
Whoever the new head coach is I sure hope he interviews Matt Williams for pitching coach job. He's got a great feel for his pitching staff and is a kick ass recruiter.

Tanner should be fired if it's Landon Powell. A small independent school where he has just modest success? But, of course he wont even be considered.
Chris Lemonis at Indiana.
Schlossnagle at TCU.
Holliday at OK State.

Landon needs more experience at a higher level than he is at currently.

Nothing against LP, but if one more person says, "What about Landon Powell", my head is gonna explode!!! I seriously need to create a sig stating that just because someone played here some time in the past, that doesn't make them the most awesomest and bestest qualified coach in the ultraverse and must be our next coach......or something to that effect. /rant

I'd like to see us get a proven winner... one that's already proven his metal as a head coach. I like Holliday. With the right tools, I believe he could coach circles around other guys.
If we were to go after a current asst. to become the next head coach, I'd hope it be a pitching coach. They tend to know swings better than anyone and are more conscious about adjusting defenses for a certain pitch. My 2 cents.

Holliday is at his alma mater and I believe he grew up in the area. Major family ties. New stadium has been approved. He is well paid. Not gonna happen.

Holliday is at his alma mater and I believe he grew up in the area. Major family ties. New stadium has been approved. He is well paid. Not gonna happen.
I understand that. And you're right, it probably won't happen. Key word "probably". I'd still ask for an interview. If he declines, it wouldn't be an insult. Nothing to lose but a lot to gain.

They were/are very well disciplined in fundamentals. I was very impressed with them, and have been for a while. (I catch some Big12 baseball due to family ties to OU.)

He was my first choice also . But he is coaching at alma mater his salary is only $450,000 a year . I think we can blow that out the water . Love to get some ball players from Oklahoma and Texas area .

Listening to "the early game " on 107.5 this morning and they mentioned that it may be hard to lure a coach that is comfortable with the lower expectations where he is compared to the high expectations here. Guess what, if we are going after a coach that feels that way we probably don't want him anyway. We need a guy that wants to win at the highest level and feels no challenge is more than he can handle. A guy with moxy that understands the expectations and feels he is the best at what he does Why do you think Tanner left nc state?

Listening to "the early game " on 107.5 this morning and they mentioned that it may be hard to lure a coach that is comfortable with the lower expectations where he is compared to the high expectations here. Guess what, if we are going after a coach that feels that way we probably don't want him anyway. We need a guy that wants to win at the highest level and feels no challenge is more than he can handle. A guy with moxy that understands the expectations and feels he is the best at what he does Why do you think Tanner left nc state?
Glad they are not in charge of the hiring.

Educate me a little...I follow baseball pretty surface level when it comes to college as a whole.
I know Coastal has a great program and a coach that has been there forever. Is he just an assumed "lifer" there and would he not be someone we'd be interested in?
I haven't seen his name any so I'm assuming it's maybe something everyone else already knows

Educate me a little...I follow baseball pretty surface level when it comes to college as a whole.
I know Coastal has a great program and a coach that has been there forever. Is he just an assumed "lifer" there and would he not be someone we'd be interested in?
I haven't seen his name any so I'm assuming it's maybe something everyone else already knows
He and Tanner don't mesh well.

One of them also said he doesn't expect Holbrook to coach next year.

Their butts must be hurting this morning, from last night...

What does the top end of baseball coaching salaries look like? Is there anybody out there making $1 mil +?

We are the Alabama of college baseball. I believe we can and will lure a proven, successful coach from a successful program because there are very few places that a coach could come from that would even be considered lateral.

Reactions: bushmastercock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT