ADVERTISEMENT

New home and home scheduled with UNC

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
Twitter says Gamecocks have scheduled Carolina/UNC home and home with 2028 game in Columbia and 2029 game in Chapel Hole.

Mack will probably be gone by then and UNC will go back to a soccer/field hockey school. The cocks dont want anything to do with UNC the next 5 years or so.

• Sad
Reactions: caughtlookin
Twitter says Gamecocks have scheduled Carolina/UNC home and home with 2028 game in Columbia and 2029 game in Chapel Hole.

I think the game should be played every year. UNC is an attractive campus (except for the people of course), it’s a good trip. Their football setup is nice, several other fields all in the same area. It looks like a campus should, wish some of our fields were more connected.

The odd thing about UNC his the fans don’t show up until the 2nd Quarter.
It is not a football school.

I think the game should be played every year. UNC is an attractive campus (except for the people of course), it’s a good trip. Their football setup is nice, several other fields all in the same area. It looks like a campus should, wish some of our fields were more connected.
They are a natural rival. I also wouldn't mind playing NCSU, UVA and V. Tech on some sort of rotating basis.

Tell you what, the 2025 out of conference schedule is pretty formidable- Virginia Tech, App State, Coastal Carolina and Clemson!

We should schedule the easiest out of conference games for the next ten years until we establish a winning tradition like the Spurrier years. Our conference schedule Is plenty hard enough each year and then add Clemson it becomes brutal. The floor for wins should be 6 and good years hit 10 or 11.

Well, you got half of it right.

Previously it was announced that the teams will meet at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte to open the 2023 season on Saturday, Sept. 2.
https://www.wyff4.com/article/gamec...football-series-with-north-carolina/36452005#

Oh I knew we were playing them again in Charlotte in the near future. I’m just surprised he didn’t sign us up for another game there since he seems to love it there so much. It was cool when we did the first two games there, but it’s definitely lost its appeal to me and the majority of the fan base.

Oh I knew we were playing them again in Charlotte in the near future. I’m just surprised he didn’t sign us up for another game there since he seems to love it there so much. It was cool when we did the first two games there, but it’s definitely lost its appeal to me and the majority of the fan base.

I am far from a fan of Tanner as AD, but wasnt Spurrier hugely in favor of these Charlotte games?

Personally, I'm tired of playing nothing but ACC teams. Let's play some teams from other Power 5 conferences. Texas, Texas Tech, Michigan St, UCLA, Arizona or (for selfish reasons) Colorado. These are all more interesting matchups than Troy and Eastern Illinois and Wofford and the like.

But it would take take a mandate from the NCAA to ensure that EVERYONE does it and drops all FCS opponents from their schedules. So in other words, I won't hold my breath.

Personally, I'm tired of playing nothing but ACC teams. Let's play some teams from other Power 5 conferences. Texas, Texas Tech, Michigan St, UCLA, Arizona or (for selfish reasons) Colorado. These are all more interesting matchups than Troy and Eastern Illinois and Wofford and the like.

But it would take take a mandate from the NCAA to ensure that EVERYONE does it and drops all FCS opponents from their schedules. So in other words, I won't hold my breath.
I agree with your sentiment, but in reality we don't need a mandate to stop playing FCS teams. If the desire was there, the AD could reach out to schedule other teams from P5 conferences. I'm not totally in favor of playing FCS teams, but if a school is so inclined I would prefer to play an instate FCS team, or a very good one i.e. playoff caliber.

I agree with your sentiment, but in reality we don't need a mandate to stop playing FCS teams. If the desire was there, the AD could reach out to schedule other teams from P5 conferences. I'm not totally in favor of playing FCS teams, but if a school is so inclined I would prefer to play an instate FCS team, or a very good one i.e. playoff caliber.

I think we are in a unique situation schedule wise. We play in the toughest conference in the nation (8 games each year) plus our instate rival played every year sadly is one of the nations best teams. That leaves only 3 games each year to play with.

Teams that play in weaker conferences where their rival is also in conference have much more flexibility with scheduling other P5 teams, in my opinion.

I agree we need to get our program on better footing before being too aggressive with OOC games.

I certainly don't like comparing us to UK football but right now, they may be ahead of us. They are in similar situation with playing Louisville every year (although Clem is def tougher than UL). Clink on the link to see their other future OOC games.

Some of our fans like to chest bump the "play the best" mantra. Fact is, we just aren't there right now. We need smart scheduling for the foreseeable future. We need to put 5-7 in a row true winning, bowl bound (bowl wins) seasons in place to move this program out of the dumpster Muschamp/Tanner have left it in.

Last edited:
Ok, fine. But where will we be, realistically speaking.

I'm thinking retired by then, hope I'm wrong but he is getting on up there in age. Both times he's been at UNC its been a huge upgrade for the football program. Hopefully when he does retire, the AD will do a much better job with the coaching hires than were done after he left the first time.

I'm thinking retired by then, hope I'm wrong but he is getting on up there in age. Both times he's been at UNC its been a huge upgrade for the football program. Hopefully when he does retire, the AD will do a much better job with the coaching hires than were done after he left the first time.

UNC may be in a similar transition time/process as we were with Spurrier. For UNC's sake, better hope their AD handles it better than ours did.

I actually like a stronger UNC program. The ACC desperately needs some competition for Clempson.

Reactions: heelzfor2
I agree that we could if we wanted to. My point about the mandate was to make sure we weren't the only ones upgrading our schedule while others feast on weaker OOC teams.

I get the feeling that's why so many here are hesitant to make our schedule any tougher or more exciting.

They are a natural rival. I also wouldn't mind playing NCSU, UVA and V. Tech on some sort of rotating basis.
I wouldn't mind either UVA or VaTech, but I would be nice to expand a little farther than just the SE. Some marquee games from other parts of the nation. Doesn't necessarily have to be P5. Boise, BYU, SDSU just to name a few.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
This is what everyone says until we lose then everyone gets all upset.

It’s just not worth scheduling good non conference opponents. Just take the easy wins.

That’s not how I meant “Just win.” Whoever we schedule, we should beat them if we are good.

Howell will be gone after this year so UNC will be breaking in a new QB when they play in Charlotte.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT