ADVERTISEMENT

New Name for the Storm

JGH 35

Oct 22, 2013
In Columbia, the "Storm of our Lifetime" has been renamed. It is now referred to as the "Fizzle with a Drizzle."

You better be careful, there a few people on here that take it personally when say the storm was not as bad as forecast....it’s really amazing.
I specifically said "Columbia". I cannot personally attest to how it was in NC as I have not been there. I know HERE it was supposed to be the most devastating event of our lives. It was a nice little soaking drizzle though. We did need the rain.

Reactions: 67gamecock
giphy.gif

ZERO in Columbia.
Maybe instead of pissing on the media, how about showing a little gratitude that we were spared and kicking in some money to NC for the almost million people who did experience the storm of their lifetime. And yes I was flooded out three years ago when the storm of a lifetime hit Columbia. I could not have salvaged my house except for the kindness of friends, churches, and strangers.

I know the remnants of the storm are spinning off tornadoes here in Richmond, VA and two buildings have collapsed with one person getting killed in one of the collapses maybe 5 miles from me, sitting on pins and needles waiting for it to pass.

I specifically said "Columbia". I cannot personally attest to how it was in NC as I have not been there. I know HERE it was supposed to be the most devastating event of our lives. It was a nice little soaking drizzle though. We did need the rain.

In Charlotte, WSOC-TV made it out to be like this: And of course, yes that's a Russian Sub.
41897980_2147069428915107_6228440201178382336_n_zpsa1vezxiu.jpg

In Columbia, the "Storm of our Lifetime" has been renamed. It is now referred to as the "Fizzle with a Drizzle."

Amazing how some people that are still alive (others were not so fortunate) can comment about the "insignificance" of this storm from the comfort of their dry homes while many others have been displaced from theirs or are actually out helping those that were. Isn't it nice to still have electricity and immediate access to the internet to post thoughtless comments.

Yes, it might seem an over-reaction, but the storm weakened from a Category-4 before hitting NC and thank God it did.

Yes, it might seem an over-reaction when public schools were cancelled around the midlands while the sun was still out, but that was to free-up buses to help mandatory evacuation efforts in coastal regions and to setup evacuation shelters at school facilities.

Yes, it might seem an over-reaction that the Carolina-Marshall game was cancelled and we only saw light rain here, but that freed-up hotel rooms for evacuees and law enforcement resources to deploy to where they were really needed.

Yes, it might seem an over-reaction that USC cancelled classes starting 3 days before projected landfall of the storm, but that's because many students needed to travel back to help families that live in the areas that were to be hit much harder than here.

I could go on, but I don't want to over do it since you seem to be overly sensitive and critical of that.

I think people are tired of hearing "storm of a lifetime!"(or some variation) about every hurricane. Not every storm can be the storm of a lifetime. Hugo was a storm of a lifetime and we haven't had a hurricane around here that's been remotely close to the devistation that thing caused (2 weeks without power was the minimum for MOST). Hugo didn't care if you lived on the coast, the middle of the state or wherever, it was coming for ya. All people want is just give us the weather without all the acting and over the top drama. I mean at least be honest about the weather. Is that too much to ask?

I think people are tired of hearing "storm of a lifetime!"(or some variation) about every hurricane. Not every storm can be the storm of a lifetime. Hugo was a storm of a lifetime and we haven't had a hurricane around here that's been remotely close to the devistation that thing caused (2 weeks without power was the minimum for MOST). Hugo didn't care if you lived on the coast, the middle of the state or wherever, it was coming for ya. All people want is just give us the weather without all the acting and over the top drama. I mean at least be honest about the weather. Is that too much to ask?
Well, at the time it couldve supplanted Hugo. I'm grateful they missed it because if they had of been right it would've been catastrophic. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. I'm honestly shocked we've dodged the bullet as long as we have.

Bullshit, I was here on the coast for Matthew and went 2 weeks with out power. Also was here for Hugo, it was no different. If you were here you would know, btw Floyd filled my house up to the window seal and we werent in a flood zone in 1999. You people dont have a clue

Bullshit, I was here on the coast for Matthew and went 2 weeks with out power. Also was here for Hugo, it was no different. If you were here you would know, btw Floyd filled my house up to the window seal and we werent in a flood zone in 1999. You people dont have a clue
Dude, Hugo snapped off big pine trees and stuck them through people's roof's. I'm not talking about knocking them down in the yard to take a picture beside, I mean pick them up and drive it THROUGH your house. What you experienced on the COAST, tens of thousands experienced 150 miles inland. It was so bad that the national guard had to come in and do curfew for 2 weeks, had to setup soup kitchens, had to bring in truck loads of water. All this was taking place all over the state, not just the coast. I live 2 hours away from the coast and I caught the full 120mph winds of that beast. You didn't have one or two trees knocking out power lines, you had tens of trees with power lines tangled up in them. Power companies had to cut their way through all that mess before they could even begin to restore power. Hugo was so bad they retired the name. It's a legend of storms.

^^ This ^^ Bingo.

Dude, Hugo snapped off big pine trees and stuck them through people's roof's. I'm not talking about knocking them down in the yard to take a picture beside, I mean pick them up and drive it THROUGH your house. What you experienced on the COAST, tens of thousands experienced 150 miles inland. It was so bad that the national guard had to come in and do curfew for 2 weeks, had to setup soup kitchens, had to bring in truck loads of water. All this was taking place all over the state, not just the coast. I live 2 hours away from the coast and I caught the full 120mph winds of that beast. You didn't have one or two trees knocking out power lines, you had tens of trees with power lines tangled up in them. Power companies had to cut their way through all that mess before they could even begin to restore power. Hugo was so bad they retired the name. It's a legend of storms.
Did you stand waist deep in water in your house? Did you spend hours in line getting help from FEMA and filling out paper work? Did you get low interest loans to rebuild your house through the SBA since you didnt qualify for a grant because you made too much money to get one? Did you relocate from shelter to shelter until you could repair your home 3 months after it was over? Spare me pal, you dont know shit

Did you stand waist deep in water in your house? Did you spend hours in line getting help from FEMA and filling out paper work? Did you get low interest loans to rebuild your house through the SBA since you didnt qualify for a grant because you made too much money to get one? Did you relocate from shelter to shelter until you could repair your home 3 months after it was over? Spare me pal, you dont know shit
You're right, you're the only one that's ever been affected by a storm and Hugo was nothing in comparison because YOU didn't suffer through it or have it affect you. I lived through the flood and countless other hurricanes. Hugo is still the major ass kicker I never want to go through again.

You're right, you're the only one that's ever been affected by a storm and Hugo was nothing in comparison because YOU didn't suffer through it or have it affect you. I lived through the flood and countless other hurricanes. Hugo is still the major ass kicker I never want to go through again.
Guess you missed where I went through Hugo also, its not a competition, coast vs inland. Its all about what the people went through and to get back to the original post of the OP making fun of it, well you should get why people might think its a big deal

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

What does any of your questions have to do with that fizzle of an over hyped storm? Nothing? Exactly.

What does any of your questions have to do with that fizzle of an over hyped storm? Nothing? Exactly.
I kind of think it comes down to being grateful that it missed us. It wasnt overhyped. NC and portions of SC are looking at historical flooding. People saying it was overhyped are in essence slapping the faces of those currently homeless. Just be grateful and move on or help those on the coast. I for one am glad we didn't get the 15" of rain in 24 hrs we did 3 years ago or what Hugo did.

I kind of think it comes down to being grateful that it missed us. It wasnt overhyped. NC and portions of SC are looking at historical flooding. People saying it was overhyped are in essence slapping the faces of those currently homeless. Just be grateful and move on or help those on the coast. I for one am glad we didn't get the 15" of rain in 24 hrs we did 3 years ago or what Hugo did.

My friend that is not true!!! Those of us that lived thru Hugo know exactly what a monster storm is.. We are all sympathetic to the lost lives and horrific flooding.. But anyone in the Carolinas comparing any storm since Hazel back in 1954 to the devastating monster Hugo was simply doesn't know what he is talking about

over hyped for who? Geezus

Over hyped for everyone who tuned in to the "sensationalism" of a storm that literally BARELY met hurricane conditions. It wasn't even a "major" hurricane when it hit land and the hurricanes aren't even listed as "major" until they reach CAT 3. When Florence hit land it was BARELY a Cat 1 storm. These are facts. The news people got it wrong....thank God....but now people are trying to act like it's Katrina. It isn't. By the way, nice avoidance of my question. Anyway, my final say on this "storm of the Ultraverse and everything in it....." they got it wrong, and then tried to save face by hyping up the drizzle. End of story.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) is part of the National Weather (NWS) in which I think they are funded by the government. The NOAA or the NWS likely provides information to the television network meteorologist. I think it would only hurt the credibility of the NOAA and the NWS to overstate hurricane forecasts and they have nothing to gain by predicting a storm is going to be worse than what is actually is.

My friend that is not true!!! Those of us that lived thru Hugo know exactly what a monster storm is.. We are all sympathetic to the lost lives and horrific flooding.. But anyone in the Carolinas comparing any storm since Hazel back in 1954 to the devastating monster Hugo was simply doesn't know what he is talking about
My family went through Hugo. The eye went right over the house in Summerville. My parents say the same thing I have heard from many others, they all thought their homes were going to fly apart when the back side of the eye came through.

Last edited:
That's pretty funny! I have clients from NY that live in Charleston and they spent like $50k on house generators, hurricane shutters, hurricane windows and new hurricane garage doirs and they were upset. They wanted their investment to work for them. I had to laugh at them actually wishing for weather.

My family went through Hugo. The eye went right over the house in Summerville. My parents say the same thing I have heard from many others, they all thought there homes were going to fly apart when the back side of the eye came through.
Same with my parents over on Lake Moultrie. The Santee Cooper weather station recorded a gust up to 183mph on the lake. Never seen pine trees snapped off 12' high every where like that ever!!

Reactions: lawcalcock
As a matter of fact I did! Preach it south cock!

Last edited:
Reactions: South Cack
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT