ADVERTISEMENT

New Name for the Storm

It is truly amazing to see how many idiots on this forum lack simple reading comprehension skills. I counted 6 different posters on here who apparently can't read well enough to even know what the thread topic is about (must be liberal Democrats). It is about the sensationalism of this storm reported in COLUMBIA, SC that proved to be false. It is not about what happened in NC, Charlotte, Conway, Kalamazoo, or Bangladesh. No one that I have read on this forum has said there wasn't a disaster elsewhere, or that people have not suffered hardships in other places, nor have they trivialized the damage and death that has resulted in those places. This is about Columbia - PERIOD! Learn to read and comprehend. Those are valuable skills that can help you from making an utter fool of yourselves in life.

It is truly amazing to see how many idiots on this forum lack simple reading comprehension skills. I counted 6 different posters on here who apparently can't read well enough to even know what the thread topic is about (must be liberal Democrats). It is about the sensationalism of this storm reported in COLUMBIA, SC that proved to be false. It is not about what happened in NC, Charlotte, Conway, Kalamazoo, or Bangladesh. No one that I have read on this forum has said there wasn't a disaster elsewhere, or that people have not suffered hardships in other places, nor have they trivialized the damage and death that has resulted in those places. This is about Columbia - PERIOD! Learn to read and comprehend. Those are valuable skills that can help you from making an utter fool of yourselves in life.
Trust me People comprehend what you have said. Their strong visceral reactions have been to the smugness that you have expressed. Your focusing on calling out the media over not getting the forecast just right and mocking them while being blithely indifferent to the massive suffering just up the road.

Last edited:
Same with my parents over on Lake Moultrie. The Santee Cooper weather station recorded a gust up to 183mph on the lake. Never seen pine trees snapped off 12' high every where like that ever!!
A friend of my fathers drove a dump truck and had it parked in his yard during Hugo. He said that storm lifted the rear end of that truck and moved in almost 3 feet from where he had it parked. Hugo had tornados mixed up in it along with rain and hurricane force winds, that's what made it so nasty. It wasn't any "tornado warning", it was tornados touching down all over the place.

I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago that basically said that:

Idiots abound on this board....

Nothing I have read so far makes me change my mind.

Trust me People comprehend what you have said. Their strong visceral reactions have been to the smugness that you have expressed. Your focusing on calling out the media over not getting the forecast just right and mocking them while being blithely indifferent to the massive suffering just up the road.
Yep, you were indeed one of the 6.

I know the remnants of the storm are spinning off tornadoes here in Richmond, VA and two buildings have collapsed with one person getting killed in one of the collapses maybe 5 miles from me, sitting on pins and needles waiting for it to pass.
Yesterday was something huh? I had one near my house, there we all sorts of reports coming from Chesterfield and even around downtown things looked terribly ominous. I've haven't been a part of something that scary since Hugo!

My family went through Hugo. The eye went right over the house in Summerville. My parents say the same thing I have heard from many others, they all thought their homes were going to fly apart when the back side of the eye came through.
I was there too. We had the eye over our house in Summerville. That was a terrifying night. Never heard the walls creak and groan like when round two started.

Reactions: ClemDent
Over hyped for everyone who tuned in to the "sensationalism" of a storm that literally BARELY met hurricane conditions. It wasn't even a "major" hurricane when it hit land and the hurricanes aren't even listed as "major" until they reach CAT 3. When Florence hit land it was BARELY a Cat 1 storm. These are facts. The news people got it wrong....thank God....but now people are trying to act like it's Katrina. It isn't. By the way, nice avoidance of my question. Anyway, my final say on this "storm of the Ultraverse and everything in it....." they got it wrong, and then tried to save face by hyping up the drizzle. End of story.
Look at how wrong you are now.......

I have given money, we have organized a supply drive at my church, and have already been to the coast once. Hoping your compassion matches your math skills
Both attributes would exceed your reading comprehension skills - #7.

This is honestly one of the strangest threads on this board.

People were seemingly angry about the media hyping up a storm and claiming it was "only drizzle." Said storm has now led to 48 deaths. Regardless of how they died (driving into flood water, generators inside the home, etc), they surely would have been alive if the storm hadn't hit. There's also catastrophic flooding that is wrecking communities in our state.

Can't we all agree that this was a terrible storm, that there's been a ton of destruction that's still going on, and try to support these people?

This is honestly one of the strangest threads on this board.

People were seemingly angry about the media hyping up a storm and claiming it was "only drizzle." Said storm has now led to 48 deaths. Regardless of how they died (driving into flood water, generators inside the home, etc), they surely would have been alive if the storm hadn't hit. There's also catastrophic flooding that is wrecking communities in our state.

Can't we all agree that this was a terrible storm, that there's been a ton of destruction that's still going on, and try to support these people?

No we can't, because it was not a terrible storm and there were no deaths in Columbia, SC, which is what this thread is about. Your and other's attempts to hijack the thread and make it about something else that it clearly isn't is completely disingenuous.

No we can't, because it was not a terrible storm and there were no deaths in Columbia, SC, which is what this thread is about. Your and other's attempts to hijack the thread and make it about something else that it clearly isn't is completely disingenuous.
So you thought the forecast for this storm was strickly for Columbia SC, that the rest of the State was immune to it because it didnt effect your little bubble?

I'm not going to argue because you're clearly upset that local media promised you a big storm and it didn't happen.
I'll leave you with this - WIS isn't just a Columbia station. They reach 36 of South Carolina's 46 counties over the air, on direct broadcast satellite, and on cable. If you think that Columbia media companies cover literally only Columbia and nothing else, I can't help you.

So you thought the forecast for this storm was strickly for Columbia SC, that the rest of the State was immune to it because it didnt effect your little bubble?
Actually, the forecast for the Columbia Area as reported by local media was indeed only for the Columbia Area. The forecast for other locales was for those particular locations. Columbia's forecast is not intended to be representative of the forecast in Wilmington, or Conway, or Raleigh, or Chicago, or anywhere else. I thought most elementary school students even knew this.

Actually, the forecast for the Columbia Area as reported by local media was indeed only for the Columbia Area. The forecast for other locales was for those particular locations. Columbia's forecast is not intended to be representative of the forecast in Wilmington, or Conway, or Raleigh, or Chicago, or anywhere else. I thought most elementary school students even knew this.
Like I said, your little bubble and your selfishness and disregard for others is duly noted. Karma buddy.

I have never questioned your correctness about the storm and Columbia ..... what I am totally disturbed by is your reveling in that being right combined with your soulless disregard of the devastating impact Florence has had our neighbors, friends, and relatives in this state. You strut your ego upon the suffering of others. Your total lack of empathy shown here borders on sociopathy.

I have never questioned your correctness about the storm and Columbia ..... what I am totally disturbed by is your reveling in that being right combined with your soulless disregard of the devastating impact Florence has had our neighbors, friends, and relatives in this state. You strut your ego upon the suffering of others. Your total lack of empathy shown here borders on sociopathy.

OMG! Did you even read what you wrote before posting? This thread has nothing to do with me or my correctness about the anything. It is about the INCORRECTNESS of the news media who continually sensationalize events for the sake of ratings. Speaking of compassion, was it compassionate of the news media to over blow this (IN COLUMBIA) and cause thousands of people a lot of unnecessary stress and worry? Was it compassionate for them to cause a lot of people who probably cannot afford the extra expenses to go out and purchase bottled water, batteries, non perishable foods, etc, etc, etc. that they probably would not have otherwise purchased? You are a complete tool for coming on here, not reading the thread properly, and hijacking the thread with things that have nothing to do with it and then want to denigrate someone else's compassion. FYI, when Hugo came through, I helped buy a truck load of bottled water to send to the folks living in the area. When the tornado ripped through Lexington in 1994, I went and helped friends move furniture and put tarps on roofs. Then during the flood of 2015 I helped friends clean up their property and donated the use of my truck to help in the effort. Also, I would put my annual contributions to charity up against yours any day. I even spent several years of my life working at a human service agency to help folks less fortunate than myself, when I could have made twice the money elsewhere. You don't know me, so how dare you make stupid remarks about my compassion for my fellow man.

You are correct about one thing though - You are disturbed.

OMG! Did you even read what you wrote before posting? This thread has nothing to do with me or my correctness about the anything. It is about the INCORRECTNESS of the news media who continually sensationalize events for the sake of ratings. Speaking of compassion, was it compassionate of the news media to over blow this (IN COLUMBIA) and cause thousands of people a lot of unnecessary stress and worry? Was it compassionate for them to cause a lot of people who probably cannot afford the extra expenses to go out and purchase bottled water, batteries, non perishable foods, etc, etc, etc. that they probably would not have otherwise purchased? You are a complete tool for coming on here, not reading the thread properly, and hijacking the thread with things that have nothing to do with it and then want to denigrate someone else's compassion. FYI, when Hugo came through, I helped buy a truck load of bottled water to send to the folks living in the area. When the tornado ripped through Lexington in 1994, I went and helped friends move furniture and put tarps on roofs. Then during the flood of 2015 I helped friends clean up their property and donated the use of my truck to help in the effort. Also, I would put my annual contributions to charity up against yours any day. I even spent several years of my life working at a human service agency to help folks less fortunate than myself, when I could have made twice the money elsewhere. You don't know me, so how dare you make stupid remarks about my compassion for my fellow man.

You are correct about one thing though - You are disturbed.
Lets say the news media didnt say a damn thing, the weather channel didnt even report on the storm. How many would have died because they properly prepare? Did they act like idiots standing in water and leaning in to the wind, yep but I dont pay attention to that shit anyway, I look at the water coming and the wind speed the hurricane hunters send back, thats whats real and they cant help that 24 hours before it came ashore it slowed from a 4 to a 1. I think you are a good dude btw for doing what you did during those storms, I did the same thing in Hugo, Floyd, etc. Floyd put 4 feet in my house so Im a little sensitive. Have a good one and Go Cocks!

^^ This. Bingo. Next

This storm wrecked havoc and destruction on millions of ppl. That it didn't to the majority of the Columbia area is irrelevant. That it didn't come on land as a category 4 is irrelevant. Ppl are suffering and this dbag is bitching about the media doing their best to forewarn ppl in the affected path of the storm.

Have just an ounce of perspective and sympathy for those that have had loved ones lost, their homes destroyed and their lives impacted for weeks, months, years to come.

Who gives a shit whether the national media/meteorologists got it exactly right or overhyped the storm.

Lets say the news media didnt say a damn thing, the weather channel didnt even report on the storm. How many would have died because they properly prepare? Did they act like idiots standing in water and leaning in to the wind, yep but I dont pay attention to that shit anyway, I look at the water coming and the wind speed the hurricane hunters send back, thats whats real and they cant help that 24 hours before it came ashore it slowed from a 4 to a 1. I think you are a good dude btw for doing what you did during those storms, I did the same thing in Hugo, Floyd, etc. Floyd put 4 feet in my house so Im a little sensitive. Have a good one and Go Cocks!
None in Columbia!!!!!!!!!!

This storm wrecked havoc and destruction on millions of ppl. That it didn't to the majority of the Columbia area is irrelevant. That it didn't come on land as a category 4 is irrelevant. Ppl are suffering and this dbag is bitching about the media doing their best to forewarn ppl in the affected path of the storm.

Have just an ounce of perspective and sympathy for those that have had loved ones lost, their homes destroyed and their lives impacted for weeks, months, years to come.

Who gives a shit whether the national media/meteorologists got it exactly right or overhyped the storm.

Its the ONLY thing that is relevant to this thread.

Its the ONLY thing that is relevant to this thread.

I fear we're dealing with "those people".....who cannot and will not accept facts. Pure and simple. You hit the nail on the head earlier. I mean, you crushed it. And then, with your post above, you crushed it again. #Facts. They matter. You got it right multiple times. I hope you will follow my lead and #walkaway from this thread. Go Cocks on Saturday!!! Beat the Cats silly.

I live in Mt. Pleasant. We evacuated to Greenville. It's a pain in the ass and we did chuckle at some of the fabricated news stories but we were thankful to be spared by the storm but we felt for those that weren't so lucky.

Tried to be nice, guess you're just an asshole, Good luck in life.
Sorry if I misconstrued your post originally. I do apologize. I have just been getting very weary of folks hijacking the thread and trying to make it into something that it isn't even after I clearly stated what it was. I think I was too quick to pull the trigger on that one.

Also, thank you for your service to the community as well.

Sorry if I misconstrued your post originally. I do apologize. I have just been getting very weary of folks hijacking the thread and trying to make it into something that it isn't even after I clearly stated what it was. I think I was too quick to pull the trigger on that one.

Also, thank you for your service to the community as well.
Its all good my Gamecock brother. Looks like we have other problems now with our football team.

ADVERTISEMENT